Phuket Landlord Shocked At Damage Caused By Foreign Tenant

webfact

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Beg away, that won't give you any more credibility unless you say what you know about the content of the lease in question.

As I mentioned before , most if not all rental contracts have the clause on informing the landlord of any problems with the property that is causing damage.

It is one of the tenants responsibilities.

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2023 at 5:43 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Just like my recent Canadian and British tenants abandoning their 2 year lease early and they got mad at me because I wanted them to vacate at the end of the time that they paid for without giving them extra time for free... I gave them a reduced rent to begin with on their promise of a 2 year lease... learned my lesson... never again will I give a reduction nor will I rent to a Brit or Canadian.

I would include Americans to be sure.  ????

But seriously i just moved homes AGAIN unfortunately. But you got good tenants and bad ones. People who rent out property and expect it to stay new are delusional. Part of living somewhere means wear and tear especially over a longer time. Sometimes the persen renting out keeps money just for wear and tear. That is unfair.

I have a property i can rent out but probably could only get 10k a month. But i think the potential headache would be bad. So i don't and keep it for storage or a place to return if a relationship goes wrong. But if a tenant goes out early and expects money back... tough luck honor the contract and don't do damages because YOU think its not fair. Often read on this forum about people suggesting damaging a home over a dispute. So there are a lot of vengeful people here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itsari said:

As I mentioned before , most if not all rental contracts have the clause on informing the landlord of any problems with the property that is causing damage.

It is one of the tenants responsibilities.

And as I mentioned before, you have no idea what was in this tenants lease contract.

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2023 at 3:40 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

I feels sad for the landlady.

Most landladies are super nice and helpful.

Just because I might have a ringer, makes no difference in my feeling of real empathy for this woman.

I would never abuse anyone's trust, as has this tenant.

What is the world coming to, anyway (not joking)?

The landlady is a MAN. Read it again.

Sorry, I put this in answer to GGs first reply, not realising it has been said previously.

Edited by KannikaP

Interesting translated Facebook post regarding this story:

Dear Lords !
Why do you need to consult lawyers before signing a property lease in Phuket?
For example, last week, there was a unilateral termination of the residential rental agreement by the landlord, the Thai landlord.
A tenant decided to renovate the house, asking a Thai agent, who contacted the landlord. The furniture was actually old and the condition of the house was priced accordingly including old mattresses, kitchen furniture, plumbing..
The tenant, having received consent from the agent in correspondence on Line, who in turn received consent from the landlord, began to dismantle the old built-in furniture, the cost of which you consider to be minimal.
The terms of the lease agreement provided the landlord's written consent to such actions.
As a result, the owner wrote a video post to the media that a foreigner illegally dismantled old furniture and caused damage in the amount of more than twenty thousand dollars and made a statement to the city police station about the opening of a criminal case on the fact of illegal dismantling and removal of private property without the owner's consent.
The agent is missing and is not answering calls.
In fact, if you do not pay for old furniture, you will get a criminal case, bail release, investigation, trial and deportation.
Thus, a similar misunderstanding arising from the lease agreement may have a criminal scenario.
Taking into account four stages of negotiations, calculations of the production of new furniture, the parties agreed on an average cost of compensation and signed a global agreement in the police.
Pay attention, follow the terms of the contract and consult with lawyers!

Source

On 8/25/2023 at 3:40 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

I feels sad for the landlady.

Most landladies are super nice and helpful.

Just because I might have a ringer, makes no difference in my feeling of real empathy for this woman.

I would never abuse anyone's trust, as has this tenant.

What is the world coming to, anyway (not joking)?

The landlord is a referred to as a young Thai man. 

Where did you get landlady from?

59 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

The landlord is a referred to as a young Thai man. 

Where did you get landlady from?

I have been celibate so long that I sometimes forget that there are actually 3 genders in this world we live in? 

And now, I am so hungry that everything looks to me like a woman? 

Anyway, your guess is as good as mine, maybe... 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Maybe he thought the Russians were hiding behind the cupboards.

Saying that the extra space looks good.

Still would annoy me and not a lot you can do but god know what he did with the wood .

He would have been better off selling the aircon than dismantling all that.

Edited by kwak250

On 8/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, Iron Tongue said:

Appears some of you didn't read the article where it says Landlord suspects the home was used as a marijuana grow house.  Most likely the cabinetry were ripped-out to increase grow space and dark surfaces painted white to better reflect the glow lights.  

Unfortunate.  With the roof destroyed by water, that home looks like it'll need a tear-down and rebuild.

The tenant probably made enough money from growing weed to escape to his next destination. 

That isn't posted in the article on this page. So that is on the poster of the article. Why leave a major detail off of the first page

On 8/25/2023 at 2:42 AM, Don Chance said:

Ya the roof, walls and floor leaved with the monsoon rains and then the Ukrainian realized he was living in a mold factory because his head was about to explode from pain. So he started to remove some of the rotten wood to see if he could fix it himself and found all the mold and rot. Then decided to get out of Thailand because..... things were just not working out at all.

I had this experience in Thailand with mold many times, they are very poor builders. Almost every building has a mold problem.

So you really think it is about "poor builders" and not the climate ? There is no comparison between a western climate and Thailand and which one is more susceptible to mold

The lengths you are going to cover this Ukrainian criminal is astounding. He obviously sold the cabinetry. If the reason it was torn down was for a grow op, the cabinets would be stacked in another room.   

On 8/25/2023 at 4:42 PM, Don Chance said:

I had this experience in Thailand with mold many times, they are very poor builders. Almost every building has a mold problem. 

???? 17 years here, multiple houses, never had a mold issue. I suggest it may be your lack of experience and insufficient maintenance.