Opinion: Dear Pheu Thai, please stop your pantomime

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Politics has shown itself to be a charade, perpetuated by the corrupt. If you need evidence, look no further than the past week’s developments. How else can we explain the Pheu Thai Party, after fighting their arch-enemies for nearly two decades, now suddenly joining hands with them on the grand stage of political theater?

Do they think the public is naive? The excuses being made by our new Prime Minister Srettha, as well as party leaders Phoomtham and Cholanan, appear to be more for their own benefit than for the people they purportedly serve.

We should brace ourselves to hear an onslaught of hollow phrases in the coming days and weeks: “necessary sacrifice,” “reconciliation government,” “need to move the country forward.” For the last three years, Pheu Thai leaders have confided in me, disparaging the very individuals they’re now cozying up to. From accusations like “Thammanat Prompan is a crooked, drug-dealing thug” to “Anutin Charnvirakul is killing the country with his ill-conceived vaccine policy,” these were LITERAL phrases uttered by Pheu Thai leadership. And yet, here they are, arm in arm, dancing in the repugnant waltz of politics.

by Arun Saronchai

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/50506/opinion-dear-pheu-thai-please-stop-your-pantomime/

-- THAI ENQUIRER 2023-08-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

The author is naive. Most politicians will do anything for power.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

from the opinion piece...

They insist that this alliance was a “necessary choice,” which is utter nonsense. The only plausible reason for this unholy union is to facilitate Thaksin Shinawatra’s return to Thailand. Do they really expect us to believe that Thaksin conveniently fell ill the moment he landed, thus avoiding a night in jail and instead securing an entire hospital floor?

It will be interesting to see how Thaksin repays his debt to the "powers-that-be" for this compromise.

Yes, the elite have got him by the short and curlies.

'Do as we say if you want to be free.'

I'm disgusted that so called democracy, anti- junta MPs like Chaturon and Adisorn ( 'I was under pressure'), haven't resigned.

Spineless.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, mark131v said:

What do you expect, they are Thai males of the hi-so caste so what else can they be!

They know and care nothing for their people or their country, they care only their own self importance and self enrichment, it has always been obvious to see if you care to look....

Both Adisorn and Chaturon fled Bangkok, to Laos and the jungle respectively, after the October 6  massacre.

Neither should be able, conscience wise, to remain in a government with a coup leader and supporters 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

Both Adisorn and Chaturon fled Bangkok, to Laos and the jungle respectively, after the October 6  massacre.

Neither should be able, conscience wise, to remain in a government with a coup leader and supporters 

Completely agree! What is going on is a charade their behaviour and that of all the parties is beyond the pale, disgusting but unfortunately not unexpected... 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Amen to that!!

Very good summing up of exactly what has been forced on the people, reprehensible disgusting behaviour, then again if you aren't willing to fight for change after decades of same old, same old some would say that you get the government you deserve......

Load of nonsense. Individuals need to look after themselves. The gov doesnt care about you and never will. The gov is an illusion.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Don't disagree and I think this must be a real kick in the teeth for any old style red-shirts but my point is this time, it's the very people who they fought for in the past, stabbing them in the back. And if their own people start protesting this then that's just an ideal opportunity for the military to roll out the tanks.......again!
They need to be patient and keep their disgust to themselves. Real change will only come through Move Foreward (or whatever they will be called at the time) and the likes and I believe this unholy alliance will not go unpunished come the next election. 

I truly hope you are right but the establishment is not going to back off until they are forced to back off

That cannot happen by legal means as that avenue is bought and paid for so the only route is through disobedience or violence

There's no other way to affect change, if they wait to vote it will be exactly the same, the reptiles in charge will change the goalposts again, like I said I really hope I am wrong..  

• Thanks 2

One thing that concerns me about the 'Thai Enquirer' is the lack of transparency of ownership, and data handling. If you click on the link to read the full story, you will notice that there is no option for allowing or denying cookies & trackers. It is a legal requirement for all websites in Thailand and most of the developed world to have a cookie & tracker opt in/out.

Don't click on the links! Your data is probably being scraped.

Edited by Brickleberry
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Do they think the public is naive?

They don't give a damn about the public.

But, yes plenty are naive. My wife is very happy that they are all forgiving each other so they can work together for the good of the country. I'm tired of trying to explain the truth to her.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mark131v said:

Amen to that!!

Very good summing up of exactly what has been forced on the people, reprehensible disgusting behaviour, then again if you aren't willing to fight for change after decades of same old, same old some would say that you get the government you deserve......

What you seem to be suggesting is violence. I can see why that might happen now, in no way good however certainly understandable, but in the recent election they voted against this. That's the way it should work so they haven't really got what they deserved. 

54 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Sorry then your cynicism of government had an American feel to it, apologies.....

Recalls the old joke: We try to be sufficiently cynical but some people make it hard to keep up. (I'm American and I approve of this statement, and if you think the government is working for you, I have a few bridges for sale...)

In the present Thai environment, how can these developments be viewed with anything but the utmost cynicism? But I guess whatever it takes to keep the baht in the tank...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

from the opinion piece...

They insist that this alliance was a “necessary choice,” which is utter nonsense. The only plausible reason for this unholy union is to facilitate Thaksin Shinawatra’s return to Thailand. Do they really expect us to believe that Thaksin conveniently fell ill the moment he landed, thus avoiding a night in jail and instead securing an entire hospital floor?

It will be interesting to see how Thaksin repays his debt to the "powers-that-be" for this compromise.

To be sure the "debt" has already been paid. How many senators are there?

• Thumbs Up 1