Getting asked for money nearly the moment I leave my building, real flippin' nice Thailand ????

16 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

They target foreigners due to the quality tourist-one week millionnaires who freely distribute notes, till they end up broke at the airport and cannot afford even a bottle of water.

You must plan it better next time, chum.............????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Exit condo, and not more than 20 steps onto sukhumvit, Bum #1 locks eyes with me and raises a suspiciously-in-new-condition metal mug and shakes it. Ignores all the Thai people walking past him, including hi-so office workers. Just determined to guilt trip and try to bait westerners into giving money, since the Thais know not to give these scamming street urchins a penny.

I power-stride past him. Not today, dude.

But that didn't last long as Bum#2 was just a stone's throw away from Bum#1. Appeared to be a working-age male with no physical disability. Still raised hand out to me expecting free money. This one didn't even have a cup or bowl to beg with. Maybe it was just a bridge troll demanding a toll for using their precious sidewalk, I don't know.

And last but not least, Bum #3 outside of the 7/11 I go to. On the steps. Impeding foot traffic. This time it's a woman, surprised she couldn't rent a baby to hold to increase feelings of sympathy from gullible tourists ???? has a plastic cup with what I thought I saw to be only a few 1 baht coins. Yeah, I'm sure that's totally all she has, she definitely doesn't take anything larger than a 5baht coin and stuffs it away, again, to try to invoke feelings of "aww poor thing only has a few coins!". Thais breeze right past her, not so much as a glance. They're smart, they know this is a con. I've never seen so many able bodied people targeting me for begging in my life.

Real flippin' nice to leave my building and get harassed for money right away. Zero shame.

Everyone in this country is trying to extract resources from me, one way or another. Dual pricing, begging, trying to get roped into giving free English lessons... 

Go bother your countrymen for resources, you're supposed to be on your best behavior for guests in your country, not automatically feel entitled to their resources. ????

Best you go to another country, do you need help, I will prepay the taxi fare to the airport if you can prove you have a onw way ticket to leave.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Being asked for money does not create an obligation to give it.

I don't know why the OP is picking on Thailand, I've been dunned by beggars in New York and London.

And inside the campus of the Uni of Texas at Austin. Beggar was in fact a local, a redundant science professor.  

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And to correct one point, my Thai son and his wife regularly give to beggars and often buy food in plastic bags to give to beggers.

Also to give to 2 little girls always selling flower garlands at a big intersection not far from our house. 

That's sweet of them. 

I'm willing to wager money that they (beggars) wouldn't do the same for you if the roles were reversed.

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

Could it, by a long shot, be that's he's actually in Thailand and NOT New York or London! ????

I assumed from his mention of sukhumvit he is in Thailand. Is there anything else of total irrelevance you wish to add?

• Like 1