Penalty if you have WP and consult for another employer?

Not if the company you have a work permit for has some type of business arrangement/contract with the company you don't work for, and the company you don't work for is receiving an invoice which includes your services

and

The job title and job description in your work permit lend themselves to such an arrangement.

In general the Court won't bother too much about a work permit, unless the work permit is germane to the case.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

To the OP...  Please do a lot of us a favor, post back and close the loop once you figure out your answer.

Several years ago there was news that moonlighting was okay as long as you had a valid WP.  But I'm not going to claim to know the details and whether that's worked for anyone, much less in your particular situation.

Then I guess there's the question of how (if?) you paid tax on your side gig, and whether that will figure in the case in front of you.

In any case, please follow up.  No guesses, please.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't have an answer.

But I am pretty sure a few years ago the law (or regulations?) were made more flexible.

As far as I remember that was about the place of work and I think also about having a work permit with company A and also working for company B.

What is still fixed, as far as I know, is the kind of work. If you have a work permit for doing work A you are not allowed to do work B.

I agree with the previous post that I also like to read a follow up to this.

Okay guys, I will keep you posted. I suspect the correct answer is what Blackcab wrote (consulting and invoices used make it fine) and whether tax has been paid and the work description fits.

Also, I doubt it is a "criminal" offense in these types of cases but might warrant a small fine, if anything. 

Nice to know the court does not typically put much weight on this type of petty thing, if that is true.

Anyways I will consult the lawyers and aim to report back in a week or two.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was "farmed out" by the school I taught at to another school 2 days a week. I still received my full salary from my school but understood they also received some funding from the second school. It was my understanding that the law was changed so that as long as you were being paid by school "A" they could "farm you out" to another school as long as you didn't get 2 salaries. :wai: