OTP while abroad

BenStark

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not if you get things set up correctly. 

1) Enable WiFi calling.

2) Keep the SIM in your phone but use Airplane mode (connect to Wifi).

You can receive SMS OTP from your Thai Banks Credit cards etc (as you would in Thailand). 

IF you put in a local SIM (not your Thai number), then you will not receive Wifi Calling or SMS's.

How do you enable wifi calling on your phone?  Mine is android 10 OS?

49 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My experience:

- Already had AIS post pay account.

- Spoke to AIS, they suggested:

• Start roaming, but also activate their facility to ensure total fees for roaming per month never greater then zero Baht. Both items super easy to set up in less than a minute.

- And I kept the AIS monthly account going, cheapest package (about 430Baht a month) got on line AIS monthly bill and paid immediately.

- Went to Australia for 2 years, started new account with Telstra, got new Tesltra mobile number and new Telstra SIM.

- When I wanted an OTP from K bank or BBL change back to the AIS SIM card, then set up the transaction on my K Bank or BBL internet banking and submit.

- Within 2 seconds the AIS drop down appeared with OTP from the bank.  I inserted the OTP into the transaction and submit.

Worked every time.

- Revert back to Telstra SIM card.

- Used the above several times every month for 2 years, worked perfect every time. Never got even 1 Baht in additional charges from AIS. 

I assume you spent 2 years in Australia to serve out your OAP inprisonment sentence?

Can you please post how you enable roaming on an AIS sim, and activate zero fees for roaming facility also.

Thanks for you assistance.

This topic is of great interest to me because I will be travelling to India for surgery and I will be alone.

54 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I assume you spent 2 years in Australia to serve out your OAP inprisonment sentence?

Can you please post how you enable roaming on an AIS sim, and activate zero fees for roaming facility also.

This topic is of great interest to me because I will be travelling to India for surgery and I will be alone.

Well I wouldn't call it 'imprisonment', it was a pleasant experience, I rented a small apartment in a war veterans village on the Northern beaches (I am a Vietnam vet. Time went quickly, Centrelink staff very pleasant and helpful., big C'link office less than 10 minutes from the war vets village.  

I went to the big AIS office in Central Festival in Chiang Mai. I explained that I needed some advice about receiving OTPs when abroad. A few seconds later one of their polite and pleasant staff guided me through the simple/quick online commands to set up for roaming but no charges etc. He tested it to prove the set up had worked. I was out the door in a few minutes. It all worked perfecttly when I was in Oz. 

• Like 1

Just now, scorecard said:

Well I wouldn't call it 'imprisonment', it was a pleasant experience, I rented a small apartment in a war veterans village on the Northern beaches (I am a Vietnam vet. Time went quickly, Centrelink staff very pleasant and helpful., big C'link office less than 10 minutes from the war vets village.  

I went to the big AIS office in Central Festival in Chiang Mai. I explained that I needed some advice about receiving OTPs when abroad. A few seconds later one of their polite and pleasant staff guided me through the simple/quick online commands to set up for roaming but no charges etc. He tested it to prove the set up had worked. I was out the door in a few minutes. It all worked perfecttly when I was in Oz. 

Hope that answers your points. Good luck.

7 hours ago, BenStark said:

OTP is from my bank, and I have Thai SIM in phone, so bank doesn't know where I am

I pay for a Skype phone number (~$7.99 USD/month) and I'm able to receive OTPs from most U.S. banks while in Thailand.

Edited by fusion58

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Normally,  it should appear under settings. Call your provider first to enable Wifi calling,  then enable it on your phone. 

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:
8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

1) Enable WiFi calling.

You can receive SMS OTP from your Thai Banks Credit cards etc (as you would in Thailand). 

IF you put in a local SIM (not your Thai number), then you will not receive Wifi Calling or SMS's.

https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/2811843?hl=en

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NextG said:
6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I know you love arguing with me..

However, what I have described is exactly how it works.

No, you have described the WiFi Calling function. Receiving SMS costs nothing in Europe and the U.K. the normal way. 

Wifi calling function enables the receipt of SMS over Wifi while the phone is not connected to a cell service. 

If a person is overseas with their Thai phone and they don't want to use International roaming they have to ensure their cell connection is turned off (i.e. Airplane mode enabled). 

But, in Airplane mode they will not receive SMS' or Calls over Wifi unless Wifi calling is enabled (and the phone is connected to the internet of course, with the original SIM installed). 

IF you take out your SIM you will not receive SMS or Wifi calls. 

IF you turn off Airplane mode and leave your phone connected to the cell network you will encounter roaming charges - you may receive SMS' for free, but you will also likely encounter data charges and charges for receiving any calls. 

Argue away if you like... I do this at least 10's time per year (throughout Europe, Middle East and much of Asia pacific). 

I find that having two phones to be the best option depending on duration of travel and location. 

Phone A) - Thai Phone (SIM) (in Airplane mode) - connected to Hotspot of Phone B, and to Wifi where ever possible. 

Phone B) - Local SIM (for which ever country I'm in) - data package with hotspot enabled.

Edited by richard_smith237

Since there seems to be different experiences. I will add another. This also from US banks to Thailand, but Lycamobile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycamobile sells in many countries. I have a monthly plan, roaming included. I just have to turn on my phones roaming. When in Thailand, I put the sim in an old phone. It then connects to AIS 3G roaming, all incoming call for my US number from the US  ring and I receive SMS free. They charge $.40 a minute for roaming on both carrier and wifi calls (same as I have seen on other carriers) but I answered one short call and never saw an extra charge. I have used them for more than 10 years, great service, the worst customer service, website.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

International Roaming always costs money if you keep your phone connected (cell network on), you pay to receive calls and use data. 

Wrong. Cell network can be on, but cellular data/mobile broadband should be switched off. On some networks it can be wise to disable voicemail. Receiving SMS doesn’t cost anything in Europe nor the U.K. 

7 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Yours is a Prepaid SIM. 
For customers who have been with AIS for more than 4 months :
AIS Roaming service can be applied simply by dialing  *125#  or *125*1# (from a phone while in Thailand) and the service will be activated within 30 minutes. 
Before you take off(literally) on your journey abroad: AIS customers can turn on and off mobile data via SIM card by dialing *129*1# (turn off) and *129*2# (turn on).

Use that method to turn data usage off. Now as long as you don’t answer or make any calls or send SMS there will be no charges. Receiving SMS is free. You can set up WiFi Calling before you leave. 

Edited by NextG

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

@scorecard Yes.  You were very lucky that you were able to access subsidised accommodation as a VA.  Would of been a whole other kettle of fish if you were in the mainstream rental market.  Situation is diabolical in Australia at the moment. Literally 10s of thousands of new homeless every month.

Did your GF, and pets back in Thailand think that it was a pleasant experience that you were absent for 2 years?

Can I ask you did you move back 2 years prior to you being old enough to receive the OAP and then leave as soon as portability was granted? Or were you already eligible to receive the OAP when you arrived  back in Australia and then had to sit out the 2 years for portability to kick in?

15 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Slightly off topic but might be worth knowing. I have a Smarty sim with  a UK number. When I am in Thailand I divert the number to my UK VOIP landline number (using an app I can recieve the diverted calls to my mobile on this number as long as I have an internet connection (ie does not use the sim) BUT SMS do NOT get diverted (they use a differnt channel I think) so any OTPs that insist on sending to a mobile (not all do - some will send to my VOIP landline with a voice call) actually will arrive on the mobile - However Smarty does charge for recieving an SMS whilst in Thailand (as far as I am aware not included in their "worldwide raoming" offer but only 50p I think)

Could you let us know the name of the app please?

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yes. You may also need to change the number with whatever organisation you are receiving the OTP from. Some do not send OTP's internationally.

Absolute nonsense , there is no roaming costs for receiving and opening an SMS whilst overseas 

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

@scorecard Yes.  You were very lucky that you were able to access subsidised accommodation as a VA.  Would of been a whole other kettle of fish if you were in the mainstream rental market.  Situation is diabolical in Australia at the moment. Literally 10s of thousands of new homeless every month.

Did your GF, and pets back in Thailand think that it was a pleasant experience that you were absent for 2 years?

Can I ask you did you move back 2 years prior to you being old enough to receive the OAP and then leave as soon as portability was granted? Or were you already eligible to receive the OAP when you arrived  back in Australia and then had to sit out the 2 years for portability to kick in?

Why do you assume GF?

No GF involved.

I married a Thai Dr. of Medicine many years ago, she has sadly passed away.

I live in Thailand with my Thai adult son, his Thai wife and 4 kids (my wondreful grandkids). Son, his wife and kids are all fluent in Thai and English and I speak plenty of Thai, so we have good communications. We spoke by LINE video chat almost every day.

Yes, my Vietnam war service and disabilities brings many benefits and today the Australian Veterans Affairs department and the RSLlifecare organization take very good care of war veterans. Their support and the promptness is wonderful. Rental in their villages is about 50% of commercial rates. Plus free water to the houses/apartments and highly subsidised electricity. Great balanced food in the village restaurants, about 80% discount compared to outside restaurants. 

Currrently all of these organizations are very focused on care and support for Aussie veterans of the war in Afghanistan, many of whom have physical disabilities and very severe PTSD issues. The DVA take care of them very well. Their work with PTSD is focused, caring and impressive. I joined an Afghanistan vets support group and I spent many hours talking with the vets and their wives. They respond better when they talk/chat with other war vets. 

I'm not going to comment on your other questions except to say I was 74 when I fully retired from lecturing in Thailand, and returned to OZ.

Good luck. 

Edited by scorecard

7 hours ago, BenStark said:
12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No such option on my Poco X3 NFC with Android 11

Try this...  (below) 

You should be able to test if Wifi calling is working on your phone by putting your phone in Airplane mode (while connected to the Wifi) and seeing if you receive calls and SMS via Wifi. 

https://www.quora.com/Does-Xiaomi-poco-x3-support-wifi-calling

9 hours ago, NextG said:
11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

International Roaming always costs money if you keep your phone connected (cell network on), you pay to receive calls and use data. 

Wrong. Cell network can be on, but cellular data/mobile broadband should be switched off. On some networks it can be wise to disable voicemail. Receiving SMS doesn’t cost anything in Europe nor the U.K. 

If your 'cell network' remains on (i.e. while roaming you are connected to a local network) you will pay to receive calls over that network.

The simplest and most foolproof option: 

1) Enable WiFi calling.

It a very simple, very easy no brainer which doesn't involve messing around with phone and network settings to turn off data roaming / disable voicemail etc... 

My experience:

Thai Phone

AIS prepaid SIM which I keep topped up when out of Thailand.

Call roaming ON, NEVER had any Data on the phone - been off from day 1 - I use WiFi in Thailand.

Receiving SMS from Thailand when I'm in UK - FREE (As far as the system is concerned it's Thailand to Thailand number)

Covers OTP from Thai bank when in UK

UK Phone

Tesco Mobile (O2) contract, pay monthly SIM

Call roaming ON, Data Roaming OFF (Data goes on when I connect to Tesco Mobile when actually in UK)

Receiving SMS from UK when I'm in Thailand - FREE (As far as the system is concerned it's UK to UK number)

Covers OTP from UKi bank when in Thailand

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

1) Enable WiFi calling.

I don't do that and my phone works fine.

Dual SIM phone - Roaming enabled on Thai SIM

WIFI calling enabled on Thai SIM and UK SIM

No Aircraft Mode - Why?

I can make and receive calls on both SIMS + send and receive SMS on both SIMS.

I really don't understand the Aircraft Mode bit - if I had to do that I would need 2 phones because I would not be able to use my UK SIM.

I would say this much though - and this applies to both SIMS. I sometimes get a voicemail when someone's been trying to call me yet my phone hasn't rung.  I have no mobile signal at my UK home so rely on WIFI but I've learned that to be sure its working, I need to turn my phone off and on again when I return to my home.  The odd thing is that if I don't do that, I can make calls but I'm unlikely to receive them.

I've spoken to other people who've had various problems with WIFI calling yet never have problems with applications like Whatsapp.  Seems to me that the mobile networks need to get their act together - if Whatsapp works fine anywhere, why doesn't WIFI calling?

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If your 'cell network' remains on (i.e. while roaming you are connected to a local network) you will pay to receive calls over that network.

The simplest and most foolproof option: 

1) Enable WiFi calling.

It a very simple, very easy no brainer which doesn't involve messing around with phone and network settings to turn off data roaming / disable voicemail etc... 

Stop writing nonsense. No one asked nor even feigned any interest in ‘receiving calls’. This thread is concerned with receiving OTPs whilst abroad. 
If someone asked about making and receiving calls then a suggestion of utilising the WiFi Calling function could be made, if available to that person. For this thread, International Roaming activation is enough. 
One can enable WiFi Calling as a back up, but unlike your ridiculous assertion, it is much easier to effect IR and to turn Data Roaming off/disable data usage from the source. You aren’t always going to have free WiFi availability. Try to be sensible as opposed to looking for a problem for your solution ☺️

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

Stop writing nonsense. No one asked nor even feigned any interest in ‘receiving calls’. This thread is concerned with receiving OTPs whilst abroad. 
If someone asked about making and receiving calls then a suggestion of utilising the WiFi Calling function could be made, if available to that person. For this thread, International Roaming activation is enough. 
One can enable WiFi Calling as a back up, but unlike your ridiculous assertion, it is much easier to effect IR and to turn Data Roaming off/disable data usage from the source.

Yawn... pathetic... you're just looking to argue...

Simplest solution has been provided - this very same solution works in ALL countries if the Op wants to receive an OTP

- Wifi calling Enabled.

- Airplane mode on.

- Connection to Wifi.

- SIM remains installed in phone.

This is 100% effective at receiving SMS (OTP) from a Thai Bank while travelling anywhere in the world with an internet connection. 

It doesn't involve having to toggle roaming on/off.

It doesn't involve having to turn off Voice mail.

It doesn't involve having to specifically turn off Data Roaming.

It doesn't involve any risk of making a mistake and potentially incurring roaming charges.

You aren’t always going to have free WiFi availability.

IF the Op doesn't have access to Wifi what on earth would or could he be doing that requires access to an OTP code at that time ???... 

Try to be sensible as opposed to looking for a problem for your solution ☺️

Agreed...  Try to be sensible instead of allowing your dislike for me to hasten your argument and cloud any intelligence you may have.