PM to look into extending tourist visas to 90 days

webfact

5 hours ago, chrischronic said:

Additionally, it's a significant amount of money for the government to lose in terms of visa extension fees.

But surely the extra in country spend is going to out weigh that loss.

methinks the only real loss will be the 100 baht the IO conveniently does not give back when you hand over 2,000baht to pay the 1,900 visa charge.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, chrischronic said:

Will this be met with reluctance or pushback from immigration? The visa extension service is lucrative, and I'm concerned that this might not be well-received. Additionally, it's a significant amount of money for the government to lose in terms of visa extension fees.

If tourists are staying another 30 days, I'm sure the 1900 baht will more than be made up for. It just won't go straight into the pockets of the polic.... I mean "immigration"

In theory as a snowbird this is excellent news for me. If it gets abused by people getting multiple back to back 90 day VE entries it will be short lived. From my personal selfish point of view I would rather they do not consider limiting the number of VE's per year as I like a few weekends in neighbouring countries. Maybe the old 180 in 360 rule for VE entries will prevent abuse. Just thinking out loud.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

The Residence Letter is a huge money maker for IO so it won't be scrapped. It's supposed to be free, but 300-500 baht cash in the IO drawer for each one is a great source of tax-free income. 

What is this Residence Letter? 

44 minutes ago, Jimjim1 said:

But surely the extra in country spend is going to out weigh that loss.

methinks the only real loss will be the 100 baht the IO conveniently does not give back when you hand over 2,000baht to pay the 1,900 visa charge.

I was usually told it was for the photograph, or photocopies! ????

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

Would have thought most genuine tourists go on holiday for 2 or 3 weeks, but those who would welcome 90 day tourist visas are those who are not really tourists.

What the PM should look at is the hurdles applied to genuine long stay blokes and the waste of time these hurdles are for immigration staff.......????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The Visa agents and Immigration officials  (and a certain bank) won't like losing a part their income. 

As for the cert. O R just make an official charge for it, not the unofficial one. could easily do away with the 90day report even, say after having one year extensions for 3-5 years.

Visa agents have got very greedy over the past couple of years by doubling their prices in many cases. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

The thing is - there's no 30 day stamps issued on entry while on a tourist visa - you get 60 days if you have an embassy issued visa - this leads me to believe they're not talking about tourist visas - they're talking about 90 day visa exempt stamps on arrival.

A very big change indeed.

I'll get my wife to ask him for you, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

Visa agents have got very greedy over the past couple of years by doubling their prices in many cases. 

I think it is the Master Agents whose house and car payments are out of line with their salaries.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, retarius said:

Good idea. But I have read on here that visas are very difficult to get in some jurisdictions. There was a case on here very recently where a British man was asked for proof of $10000 (?) in his bank account. He gave up in the end. They need to sort out rules which I/Os need to follow. Get rid of this nonsense where every immigration office interprets the rules in different ways. The only decent way of getting a 90 day tourist visa is to come into the country on a visa waiver then extend it at the immigration local office near to where you stay.

You are correct as the UK e-visa system says you must have £10,000 in your bank. I think this is a typo but as you say it puts ppl off. You can only enter Thailand visa-exempt for 30 days and get one extension for a further 30 days giving you 60 days not 90.

The last visa-exempt entry extension to 45 days was very popular and TAT was pushing for it to be extended to the end of the year but the last PM decided to bin it on 31st March of this year and revert back to 30 days.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

When I go to Penang it's 90 days on arrival no fuss for a UK passport. 

It used to be 90 days at arrival for Thailand as well, when I first came back in 1987! 

Would be very nice if they changed it back, as I usually stay 3 months, it would save a lot of hassle, money and time! ????

Edited by plahgat
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How many people do you know that take more than a 30 day vacation at a time? I'd say that 30 days is more than enough for all but a tiny, tiny percentage of people. Those who are wealthy and have more time on their hands choose far better places than Thailand with its many shortcomings to spend their time and money. I doubt that Thailand is on many rich people's list of places to spend months at a time.

WRONG!!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:
6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How many people do you know that take more than a 30 day vacation at a time? I'd say that 30 days is more than enough for all but a tiny, tiny percentage of people. Those who are wealthy and have more time on their hands choose far better places than Thailand with its many shortcomings to spend their time and money. I doubt that Thailand is on many rich people's list of places to spend months at a time.

WRONG!!! 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT!!!

2 hours ago, transam said:

Would have thought most genuine tourists go on holiday for 2 or 3 weeks, but those who would welcome 90 day tourist visas are those who are not really tourists.

What the PM should look at is the hurdles applied to genuine long stay blokes and the waste of time these hurdles are for immigration staff.......????

Wrong!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, chrischronic said:

Will this be met with reluctance or pushback from immigration? The visa extension service is lucrative, and I'm concerned that this might not be well-received. Additionally, it's a significant amount of money for the government to lose in terms of visa extension fees.

And you actually believe the Government receive the visa extension fees 555????????????

3 hours ago, JackGats said:

Speaking for myself (selfishly), I don't like this. There are enough hordes coming already.

mate, the maoists are already exempt from the plan.....and a plan only it is too. I agree to the bloke above: very few tourists need 90 days and those who do will get a visa at the embassy. I was talking however about those of us who are here long term but still have to report on bail every 90 days and cannot drive to neighbouring provinces overnight for a round of golf without reporting back to wherever we came from (TM30). Otherwise 800 Baht for AWAL. Pure anachronism but.....jurassic park.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, pomchop said:

So the tourist visa that i just got online for 60 days would be replaced by a stay of 90 days on arrival without going through online toursits visa mess?

So if this actually gets approved after my arrival on the 60 day tourist visa does that mean that i get less of a stay than sombody who arrives a month or so after me with no tourist visa?

Is that what they are saying?  As usual clear as mud.  Why is it always so difficult to make it clear what they are saying even if they have to hire a native english translator to make sure it makes sense?

Because most of them have never been to school so consequently are thick as sh#te.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

You keep telling folk "wrong", with no explanation, so, go for it....????

I told 2 people wrong only. There is nothing to go for. I asked you about " "genuine" what the heck is a " genuine tourist" who in the world could really define that. Spare me google. A 90 day tourist is more common than you must feel or think. Just read these posts and just meet people in Thailand. It's amazing how many people from 21 to 81 are coming to or wanting to come to Thailand for 90 + days. You can't possibly live in BKK or Phuket or Hua Hin or Samui or several other places and not know this. I have no idea what a genuine tourist is in Naka Nowhere. This wanting to stay somewhere else than your own country for 90 + days as a tourist happens all over the States , Australia, Southern Europe , Central/ South America etc. it's a new world. Why is there even a METV? 

• Like 1