Do we really appreciate how lucky we are?

BritManToo

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Every day the weather is perfect, ROFL. You live in Chiang Mai which is very polluted a couple of months every year.  

Easily fixed, buy a couple of air purifiers.

If you don't appreciate life in Thailand, leave. I suspect no-one will miss you.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Easily fixed, buy a couple of air purifiers.

If you don't appreciate life in Thailand, leave. I suspect no-one will miss you.

Air purifiers don't work outside. I like life in Thailand, work here and have a lot of family and friends.

I won't choose the North to live though. 

You suspect / guess wrong. 

It is great out here,...but also great there and beyond too. No doubt at all.

But let the next immigration absurdity fall or a sudden divorce.... and all the sugar n' spice will melt.

The point here is enjoy, appreciate, respect, be grateful..... but don't get foolish, carried away or lured by the mermaids.

11 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Every day the weather is perfect, ROFL. You live in Chiang Mai which is very polluted a couple of months every year.  

If you have checked the rest of the West, especially US/Canada, the climate crazies are lighting off arson fires throughout the pristine forests then screaming, "Climate Change is gonna get you - see - Fires!"  Aqi across many places in Canada and the US is just as bad as Chiang Mai during the 'burn season.' 
Here in Northern Thailand I understand the insanity of the annual burns, it's a pretty new event in the West.  Which for me?  One more reason not to return.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm grateful to live in a place with low crime.  Living in Chiang Mai for over 5 years now. Between the city and Northern suburbs / rural areas.  Not once have I been personally affected by local crime.   Before Thailand, I lived in USA (Atlanta and San Francisco).  Have to be a lot more careful and consume mental energy every day to avoid various types of crime that are so common.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

My reference to 'location' would be somewhere that I would actually live, and more than enough in USA to choose from.   Although I would have a legal firearm on me, and not expect to ever need it, as in the past when living in the USA.

Much the same as here, rural-ish, but close to anything wanted or needed.  If you can't find that in the USA, or here, you're not looking very hard.

Sex trumps location every time.

I categorically refuse to believe that I could have had as many young attractive bed partners in the US for the cost of that in LOS as a middle aged to elderly man.

Also, I never felt a need to arm myself in LOS.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sex trumps location every time.

I categorically refuse to believe that I could have had as many young attractive bed partners in the US for the cost of that in LOS as a middle aged to elderly man.

Also, I never felt a need to arm myself in LOS.

Depends if your lifestyle is on a P4P basis or simply a smile & conversation.  If relying on P4P for sex, then it's cost of living, income disparity, being the reason, not the availability of young attractive bed partners that 'want' to be with you.   Simply 'paid' to be with you.

Myself, don't find things that much different here or the USA.  Though I stopped being single at 50 years old, and looking 40, or so I was told, so may be different now if single.   At 68, don't think I'd be attracting them 20 & low 30 yr olds back in USA ????

Non smoker, non heavy drinker, non sun worshipper, decent shape, so always looked younger for my age.  Always an age gap, sometimes large in my relationships, here/TH & there/USA.   Friend use to joke, that I never dated anyone 30 or over in USA.  

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Depends if your lifestyle is on a P4P basis or simply a smile & conversation.  If relying on P4P for sex, then it's cost of living, income disparity, being the reason, not the availability of young attractive bed partners that 'want' to be with you.   Simply 'paid' to be with you.

Myself, don't find things that much different here or the USA.  Though I stopped being single at 50 years old, and looking 40, or so I was told, so may be different now if single.   At 68, don't think I'd be attracting them 20 & low 30 yr olds back in USA ????

Non smoker, non heavy drinker, non sun worshipper, decent shape, so always looked younger for my age.  Always an age gap, sometimes large in my relationships, here/TH & there/USA.   Friend use to joke, that I never dated anyone 30 or over in USA.  

I guess I just ended up in the wrong country then. I never found that in home country.

Before the pill nice girls didn't and I left the country as soon as I could, so missed out on the age of "free love", if it even happened, which I doubt.

Now, living back there, no young lady would give me time of day, let alone sleep with me, and I'm just not into grannies or solo mothers.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If I had waited for a woman that 'wanted to be with me', I'd be a 70yo virgin!

Back on topic,

Another lovely morning, sun is shining, birds are tweeting and there's a wine cooler in the fridge with my name on it.

Lovely indeed, and found a very nice Chicken Massaman, surfside yesterday.  Something I haven't perfected cooking at home.  Nice breeze coming off the bay.

370600087_251901390513876_6130378371708902260_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, captainjackS said:

I'm grateful to live in a place with low crime.  Living in Chiang Mai for over 5 years now. Between the city and Northern suburbs / rural areas.  Not once have I been personally affected by local crime.   Before Thailand, I lived in USA (Atlanta and San Francisco).  Have to be a lot more careful and consume mental energy every day to avoid various types of crime that are so common.

When you live in Chiang Mai, you don't have to consult your Android or Apple Poop-Map before walking down the street like you do in San Francisco.

Yes, I indeed appreciate how lucky I am every day...????????

I even often compare to life-style in my home country and check both properties I can afford, and those beyond my ability, I still don't want to change...:whistling:

wIMG20220428082943_Morning-view_w800.jpg.d66c9486fa242c8fc03629609b44a40e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2023 at 2:13 PM, spidermike007 said:

We are very luck indeed. Or very fortunate. Which seems less accidental than lucky. Some of us are enjoying the great fortune of being with a very good woman. Every day with mine is a very good day. She is the same lovely woman from one day to the next. She has a smile on her face when she wakes up in the morning. Never experienced that in the states. Some Thais manifest that unbearable lightness of being, that is so delightful to be around. I cannot really get enough of that spirit, and feel so blessed to be around that, and to have found such a well adjusted and delightful creature. Many of us have been fortunate to find very good women, who brings alot to the table, and has a sense of appreciation, gratitude, and is not too arrogant to say thank you. And visa versa. I never hesitate to praise my gal, and thank her for her kindness, a lovely meal, and other things she does to improve my life. 

And then there is the standard of living. Thailand is still reasonable. I know people who pay 10,000 baht a month for newer 3 bedroom houses in nice towns. In major cities in the US? $2000-3800 a month. That is 120,000 baht! And anything labor related here is still cheap. Food is a bargain at many restaurants. Good 4 star hotels in major cities like Bangkok for 2,000 to 2,500 baht a night. And for single friends, who like renting a gal, that is still reasonable too! Yes, we have it very good here. 

Where are these "nice towns"? 

Outside of Bangkok I've not found anywhere I'd consider nice, certainly not nice enough to want to live there.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Where are these "nice towns"? 

Outside of Bangkok I've not found anywhere I'd consider nice, certainly not nice enough to want to live there.

If you are OK with smaller towns, Prachuap Khiri Khan is amazing. One of the best I have seen. Also, Kuiburi is lovely, but less services for foreigners. 

The quality of life is infinitely higher than in Bangkok. A good friend lives there and we may move there soon. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If I had waited for a woman that 'wanted to be with me', I'd be a 70yo virgin!

Back on topic,

Another lovely morning, sun is shining, birds are tweeting and there's a wine cooler in the fridge with my name on it.

@BritManToo if you really enjoyed your life as much as you say you do....why are you tryingto cut it short having cottage pie and wine coolers for breakfast.

• Haha 2