Power of attorney

Gandtee

7 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Do you need a lawyer to appoint a person as power of attorney, or can you do it without one?. 

No

Any 2 Thai people can sign a POA to verify your signature.  I would make a copy of their govt IDs though, and they can't be (A don't think) beneficiary of the POA.

I've done POA, with ex, and sold land/house, she wasn't there at transfer.   I did have 3; 1 filled out & 2 blank.  Actually needed the a bank one, as officer at Land Office didn't like the wording.   Ex & 2 witnesses had already signed the blank ones, just needed to fill it out the way he wanted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Mine was real life experience, OP can believe or not.  Or take the advice of so many, with no experience, that recommend a lawyer for some of the simplest things to do.

Lawyers are good for defending you in criminal court, and suing insurance companies.  I don't need them to hold my hand to fill out simple paperwork.

Agree. But if you've got the money, why not spend it on lawyers & agents instead of beer? 555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I don't need them to hold my hand to fill out simple paperwork.

You, may well be fully up to scratch regarding this matter but many are not and as has been stated he is not in the U.K. and therefore it is only right and proper to direct him to a lawyer, after all if he were as well informed as you, methinks he would not be asking for advice in here.

My own understanding of this and I will stand corrected if wrong is that the person handing over a POA loses control of his/ her finances.

And in answer to the question from another reply, many eventual beneficiaries hold POA’s

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Mine was real life experience, OP can believe or not.  Or take the advice of so many, with no experience, that recommend a lawyer for some of the simplest things to do.

Lawyers are good for defending you in criminal court, and suing insurance companies.  I don't need them to hold my hand to fill out simple paperwork.

Did you use standard type POA document to fill out and if so, from where?

11 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

There is no real standard one type fits all... each office that you are dealing with has it's own specific requirements and while they may overlap in form may have small differences... it would help to know why you need the POA

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

You, may well be fully up to scratch regarding this matter but many are not and as has been stated he is not in the U.K. and therefore it is only right and proper to direct him to a lawyer, after all if he were as well informed as you, methinks he would not be asking for advice in here.

My own understanding of this and I will stand corrected if wrong is that the person handing over a POA loses control of his/ her finances.

And in answer to the question from another reply, many eventual beneficiaries hold POA’s

So you don't really know what a POA is.  Yet feel the need to reply.

OP asks if needs a lawyer, and in TH, the answer is NO.  Asked & answered.  

OP didn't ask what & how to use, so assuming OP knows.

It appears from the replies on AN, when similar queries ask (ex: usufruct/wills), many don't know what or how they and POAs are done & used.  Then you may want to pay some lawyer 5-10 or ฿20k to hold your hand, while you & 2 witnesses sign a piece of paper.  UP2U

But I've saved literally 1000s of USD, doing my legal work in RE deals in the USA, instead of paying for 'title searches' & 'insurance underwriters'.  Easy to do, especially now in digital world, as when I did them, you had to page thru the dockets for deed/loan/lien info.

Here/TH, it's even easier, as every thing is attached to the Chanote in regard to RE.

The Thai Land Office will not let anything shady happen, unless of course, they are in on it ????

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

A fill in the blanks POA form, I got from local RE office.  There are samples on the internet if you've never done before.  Forget what was preprinted, but very little.  Less than what is in the sample linked.

There's even some sites, that will sell you a form.   That one is a bit of overkill, as mine was simple (1 page) and to the point.

I've only done them here/TH, once, for said RE deal, and in USA once, for none specific use, since no longer living there, I needed someone to have POA. 

Only difference, a notary is required in the USA ($5 in PA,I think, used to be $2 max charge by law). 

Here/TH, the 2 verifying witness signatures replace the use of a notary, and is legally binding.

Actually a bit scary, when you think about it. The buyer of the my property here/TH, a Yank, was skeptical of the process, and ran it by his lawyer, who approved the POA as legal & binding.  Asked, since concerned about any blowback after the land transfer, and reassured it's how things are done.

Edited by KhunLA

On 8/28/2023 at 5:13 AM, Gandtee said:

Do you need a lawyer to appoint a person as power of attorney, or can you do it without one?. 

You can buy a power of attorney-form in the paper shops (or book shops?), fill it in and sign it with two witnesses. You need signed copies of their ID-cards. Best to get a Thai to help you, many Thais are used to the process, as it's commonly used.

• Thumbs Up 1