Trump, campaign lash out at trial date in Jan. 6 federal case

Social Media

• 2 weeks later...

Jan. 6 Rioters Have Been Held to Account. That Might Be the Easy Part.

With leaders of the far-right groups that helped drive the attack on the Capitol sentenced to long prison terms, attention is shifting to the fraught process of prosecuting Donald Trump.

Sept. 6, 2023

To be sure, none of the charges Mr. Trump is facing accuse him of encouraging or inspiring the violence at the Capitol. At worst, the Washington indictment claims that as chaos broke out at the building on Jan. 6, Mr. Trump “exploited the disruption” to further his goal of stopping the election certification.

The Justice Department spent considerable effort searching for links between the White House and the rioters and, at least so far, has never publicly established any direct ties between the boots and the suits. What remains to be seen is whether prosecutors find a way to bridge their inquiry into the Capitol attack to their investigation into Mr. Trump’s attempts to overturn his electoral defeat.

“We have the fraud charges and we have the seditious conspiracy charges,” said Daniel C. Richman *, a former federal prosecutor and a law professor at Columbia University. “But what we don’t yet have is any link between the two beyond vague inferences and thoughts.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/06/us/politics/enrique-tarrio-trump-jan-6.html

https://archive.ph/FXeXh

* From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Richman

Following the June 8, 2017 public hearing at the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, Richman confirmed to reporters that he was the person former FBI Director James Comey had instructed to reveal the contents of Comey's memos detailing conversation with President Donald Trump. Richman and Comey are longtime friends, and Richman's faculty page describes him as an advisor to Comey.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Jan. 6 Rioters Have Been Held to Account. That Might Be the Easy Part.

With leaders of the far-right groups that helped drive the attack on the Capitol sentenced to long prison terms, attention is shifting to the fraught process of prosecuting Donald Trump.

Sept. 6, 2023

To be sure, none of the charges Mr. Trump is facing accuse him of encouraging or inspiring the violence at the Capitol. At worst, the Washington indictment claims that as chaos broke out at the building on Jan. 6, Mr. Trump “exploited the disruption” to further his goal of stopping the election certification.

The Justice Department spent considerable effort searching for links between the White House and the rioters and, at least so far, has never publicly established any direct ties between the boots and the suits. What remains to be seen is whether prosecutors find a way to bridge their inquiry into the Capitol attack to their investigation into Mr. Trump’s attempts to overturn his electoral defeat.

“We have the fraud charges and we have the seditious conspiracy charges,” said Daniel C. Richman *, a former federal prosecutor and a law professor at Columbia University. “But what we don’t yet have is any link between the two beyond vague inferences and thoughts.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/06/us/politics/enrique-tarrio-trump-jan-6.html

https://archive.ph/FXeXh

* From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Richman

Following the June 8, 2017 public hearing at the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, Richman confirmed to reporters that he was the person former FBI Director James Comey had instructed to reveal the contents of Comey's memos detailing conversation with President Donald Trump. Richman and Comey are longtime friends, and Richman's faculty page describes him as an advisor to Comey.

Enough of this ‘he’s going to get away with it all nonsense’.

Jack Smith is still impaneling a Grand Jury.

The only reason to impanel a Grand Jury is to seek indictments.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Well I just gave you the reference to Professor Richman in case you have any more minor corrections to make.

Verbatim from NY Times with no editorial from me.

And for the article as a whole, corrections can to mailed to corrections<at>nytimes.com

Edited by jerrymahoney

Trump is failing at fomenting a civil war and wants to get locked up.

"The group suing me in Colorado to ridiculously try and Unconstitutionally keep me off the ballot (I am leading against DeSanctimonious by almost 50 points, and beating Crooked Joe, BIG!), is TRUMP DERANGED 'CREW,' composed of many slime balls & groups like Norm Eisen through Brookings or Just Security, Andrew Weissmann, Joyce Vance, et al. They are, perhaps illegally, working with Weissmann acolyte Lisa Monaco at 'Injustice.' I have been beating them for years, including Impeachments. MAGA!!!" wrote the ex-president, who is now facing 91 felony charges in four criminal indictments across three jurisdictions.

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-targets-jack-smith-and-current-and-former-top-doj-officials-by-name-in-latest/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well I just gave you the reference to Professor Richman in case you have any more minor corrections to make.

Verbatim from NY Times with no editorial from me.

I’m sure The NY Times needs the traffic generated by keeping everyone on the hook with ‘he’s going to get away with it all’.

Richman slips a ‘yet’ into his statement:

“But what we don’t yet have is any link between the two beyond vague inferences and thoughts.”

He’s a prof, I’m sure he did that for a reason.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m sure The NY Times needs the traffic generated by keeping everyone on the hook with ‘he’s going to get away with it all’.

Richman slips a ‘yet’ into his statement:

“But what we don’t yet have is any link between the two beyond vague inferences and thoughts.”

He’s a prof, I’m sure he did that for a reason.

I have never said your 'get away with it' line -- just that the criminal cases against Trump may be more difficult than the slam-dunk fans think.

And I'll say it again: I don't really care what happens with the criminal cases against Trump so long as he is not re-elected as President in 2024.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I have never said your 'get away with it' line -- just that the criminal cases against Trump may be more difficult than the slam-dunk fans think.

And I'll say it again: I don't really care what happens with the criminal cases against Trump so long as he is not re-elected as President in 2024.

I look forward to your legal updates, which are usually informative, on the multiple occasions when Trump’s legal maneuverings fail or backfire. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I look forward to your legal updates, which are usually informative, on the multiple occasions when Trump’s legal maneuverings fail or backfire. 

They might all fail and Trump is found guilty on all criminal  charges in the 4 current cases. Won't get any tear from me.

But unless there is some sort of plea bargain or dismissal of charges, all these cases have a long way to go before that eventuality.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Appeals Court Temporarily Frees Trump From Gag Order in Election Case

A three-judge panel of the federal appeals court in Washington lifted the order for at least two weeks, freeing the former president to say what he wants about prosecutors and witnesses.

Nov. 3, 2023

An appeals court in Washington on Friday paused the gag order imposed on former President Donald J. Trump in the federal case accusing him of seeking to overturn the 2020 election, temporarily freeing him to go back to attacking the prosecutors and witnesses involved in the proceeding.

In a brief order, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia said the pause of about two weeks was needed to give it “sufficient opportunity” to decide whether to enact a longer freeze as the court considered the separate — and more important — issue of whether the gag order had been correctly imposed in the first place.

The panel’s ruling came in response to an emergency request to lift the order pending appeal that Mr. Trump’s lawyers filed on Thursday night. While the judges — all three of whom were appointed by Democrats — paused the gag order until at least Nov. 20 to permit additional papers to be filed, they wrote in their decision on Friday that the brief stay “should not be construed in any way as a ruling on the merits” of Mr. Trump’s broader motion for a more sustained pause.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/03/us/politics/trump-gag-order-election-jan-6-appeal.html

https://archive.ph/7jZaB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Appeals Court Temporarily Frees Trump From Gag Order in Election Case

A three-judge panel of the federal appeals court in Washington lifted the order for at least two weeks, freeing the former president to say what he wants about prosecutors and witnesses.

Nov. 3, 2023

An appeals court in Washington on Friday paused the gag order imposed on former President Donald J. Trump in the federal case accusing him of seeking to overturn the 2020 election, temporarily freeing him to go back to attacking the prosecutors and witnesses involved in the proceeding.

In a brief order, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia said the pause of about two weeks was needed to give it “sufficient opportunity” to decide whether to enact a longer freeze as the court considered the separate — and more important — issue of whether the gag order had been correctly imposed in the first place.

The panel’s ruling came in response to an emergency request to lift the order pending appeal that Mr. Trump’s lawyers filed on Thursday night. While the judges — all three of whom were appointed by Democrats — paused the gag order until at least Nov. 20 to permit additional papers to be filed, they wrote in their decision on Friday that the brief stay “should not be construed in any way as a ruling on the merits” of Mr. Trump’s broader motion for a more sustained pause.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/03/us/politics/trump-gag-order-election-jan-6-appeal.html

https://archive.ph/7jZaB

Perhaps you’d like to give your learned opinion on the alignment between the gag order and criminal witness tampering?

If, as the court insists, the gag order is narrow and targeted at putting an end to Trump’s witness tampering then removal of the gag order is a mere administrative matter, Trump is not free to say anything the gag order disallows.

The removal of the gag order might very possibly lure Trump into a false belief that he can say whatever it is he wishes without consequence.

He is almost certainly going to return to the behaviour that brought about the gag order - witness tampering - which is a crime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not that I expected you to.

I look forward to you comments when Trump again engages in witness tampering.

When Trump is charged with Federal witness tampering, I'll let you know.

18 U.S. Code § 1512 - Tampering with a witness, victim, or an informant

• Thanks 2