Village pack dogs

georgegeorgia

On 8/29/2023 at 12:18 PM, Hummin said:

You need to learn to stay calm, at once they see you getting nervous and make quick movements, they will most likely charge you. If you stay still, move slowly and also move towards them, you will see they back off. They are not as though as you think they are, even in packs.

If you have walking stick, it will help to, but do not use the stock to swing around you, just point at them, and they back off. 

On a motorbike you become the moving pray as well, so drive slowly, stop if necessary and do not lick around with your legs.

Personally never had any problems with dogs, they always back off doing what I described.

Even walking my dogs in leash, and they are now teached to sit down when approached by packs off dogs, and they get confused, and do not attack. 

Control the pack

Thank you.

99% of the time just ignoring them works.

Getting excited just goads them.

Same as bees and wasps. Stop moving and they can't see you through their faceted eyes which only detect motion. Run and you're toasty.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 12:08 PM, jak2002003 said:

It's also about how you act around them. 

If you are calm and act like you are not bothered by them they usually just get bored and leave you alone after the initial barking. 

Is this before or after the vicious little vermin have bitten your ankles or legs multiple times?

• Confused 1

On 8/29/2023 at 5:45 PM, spidermike007 said:

Not sure of his exact treatment. I know he also got rabies immunoglobulin containing rabies virus antibodies. It is usually given to a person who has been bitten by a rabies-infected animal but who has not previously received the rabies vaccine. It is 2,500 to 5,000 per shot. 

That's very cheap.

As another poster (the guy bitten by a Tibetan mastiff) mentioned RIG can cost several thousand US dollars. 

1000 USD is a normal price for RIG.

So yes, you can easily spend 20000 baht on rabies shots.

If you don't get RIG (it's not always necessary,  and because it's so expensive it's not always available), you need between 1 and 5 rabies shots,  depends on the wound and whether you were vaccinated against rabies before being bitten. A shot costs between several hundred (government) and 2000 (private).

You may also need a tetanus shot (depends on your immunization history), wound cleaning and dressing,  and if it's a deep wound several antibiotic shots (up to 3000 per shot if private hospital).

So even without RIG, 20000 is possible,  but it's on there high side. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, madisongy said:

My father in law carries a stick around with him.   No problems.   But tells me these dogs even bother the locals.

Exactly. 

The villagers I know do not play "stand your ground", "don't show fear", "drive slowly" as recommended in this thread. In a village,  most dogs do have an owner,  people know who is the owner,  people know which dogs (i.e. which owner's dogs) do bite people,  and they avoid these owners and their dogs,  keep a safe distance of let's say 50 meters. If they have to pass there they will drive fast. 

Maybe the villagers should read this forum for advice. 

As for soi dogs in cities: Thais are scared of them,  and they will not walk in a soi that has of might have packs of them. Unlike farangs.

5 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Is this before or after the vicious little vermin have bitten your ankles or legs multiple times?

That is very unlikely to happen if you followed the advice I gave.  

People are more likely to get bitten when they act scared, run away,  or start acting irratically by waving sticks or trying to hit the dogs. 

Edited by jak2002003

Thai soi dogs are the same as any country's stray dogs.  You'd think given the average age of AN expats (70), they would have learned by now how to deal with stray dogs...apparently not.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bbko said:

Thai soi dogs are the same as any country's stray dogs.  You'd think given the average age of AN expats (70), they would have learned by now how to deal with stray dogs...apparently not.

What stray dogs? In my country we have no Stray dogs every dog is registered and has a chip 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, still kicking said:

What stray dogs? In my country we have no Stray dogs every dog is registered and has a chip 

You're being facetious right?

6 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Nonsense it has nothing to do with street dogs 

So homeless dogs are non existent in Australia? Right....

Every year, thousands of dogs from all over the world are put into shelters or left without a home. In Australia alone, there are an estimated 80,000 homeless dogs and puppies that need a loving family to take them in. It is a heartbreaking reality that many of these animals will never find a place to call home.

https://rescues4pets.com.au/blog/the-sad-reality-of-homeless-dogs-in-australia/

1 minute ago, bbko said:

So homeless dogs are non existent in Australia? Right....

Every year, thousands of dogs from all over the world are put into shelters or left without a home. In Australia alone, there are an estimated 80,000 homeless dogs and puppies that need a loving family to take them in. It is a heartbreaking reality that many of these animals will never find a place to call home.

https://rescues4pets.com.au/blog/the-sad-reality-of-homeless-dogs-in-australia/

But you don't understand those dogs in animal shelters find a new home we are talking about street dogs here