Village pack dogs

georgegeorgia

10 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

450 Baht-ish per jab at a local clinic in Phra Khanong and they give you vaccination book.

Not sure of his exact treatment. I know he also got rabies immunoglobulin containing rabies virus antibodies. It is usually given to a person who has been bitten by a rabies-infected animal but who has not previously received the rabies vaccine. It is 2,500 to 5,000 per shot. 

Edited by spidermike007

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

You sound like a nice and charming person to go have a beer with......

Maybe you need a bog hit or two to mellow out some?

My error for not proof-reading........  

'bong' hit for those that weren't able to figure it out.

(Please do not ask me what a 'bong' is.)

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Not sure of his exact treatment. I know he also got rabies immunoglobulin containing rabies virus antibodies. It is usually given to a person who has been bitten by a rabies-infected animal but who has not previously received the rabies vaccine. It is 2,500 to 5,000 per shot. 

^ I paid about 4,500 baht for doctor and cleaning, 1st jab and faffing around at Sukumvit Hospital. Then went for the next two jabs at the clinic at the end of the Soi. Could be that the book came with the 4,500 baht.

Suggest those concerned should go to their nearest clinic and ask about rabies shots before they need them.???? But we know they won't.

12 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Funny.

Vets are required to work in public surgeries for 2 years once qualified.

The private vets, that you perceive to be better qualified, graduated from the same establishments.

Also, it is far more likely vets in private practices are less qualified than those in public practices, or even not qualified at all. 

Funny you should argue with me when it comes to use of government service. We do also use the University clinic for our animals. We do have 8 farm animals, and I think it is best for me to decide who I choose to use when we need without unnecessary additional comments from you.

Still a great offer for the locals, who rather choose to spend their hard earned money on something else than their animals who they most likely adopted from the streets. 

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Funny you should argue with me when it comes to use of government service. We do also use the University clinic for our animals. We do have 8 farm animals, and I think it is best for me to decide who I choose to use when we need without unnecessary additional comments from you.

Still a great offer for the locals, who rather choose to spend their hard earned money on something else than their animals who they most likely adopted from the streets. 

Not funny at all.

Not arguing either.

Just stating facts.

Which is far apart from your most recent posts.

Edited by youreavinalaff

21 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Not funny at all.

Not arguing either.

Just stating facts.

Which is far apart from your most recent posts.

Facts about what? Another nice try. Man, why even bother ????

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Having been involved in teaching university students, I know what I'm talking about.

Where did I state any facts! I stated where I prefer to deal with my animals when needed? The university have all necessary equipment and resources, something many ampur vets do not have. We used the ampure vet for one sick animal who died for us, and could not figure out she had a miscarriage, and started antibiotics as they always do when they know <deleted>.

I grow up on a farm with many animals, and know when a vet is <deleted>.

Even offered a jacket and shoe protection but denied to use it, and no disinfection before walking in to our farm animals, coming straight from another farm. 

So please lecture me if you have something valid to teach me. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have put this in the isaan forum because this is where it's happened twice !!

Over the past few years I have been to see my friend in a small village near Wan Non , 

Both occassion I walked by myself to the local temple to look around.

First time was ok some dogs barking and tried to surround me and nip me but I managed to get away.

Second time a few years later and walked around the village again by myself and went to the temple ,now this is in a rural area and I thought about the first time but this time I didn't see any dogs but....I could hear dogs barking in the background far away .

20 minutes later I'm leaving to see a pack of dogs surrounime.

About 8 of them , barking ferocious and one attempting to snap at my legs .

At that moment a monk driving a motorcycle with sidecar stopped and  ushered me on.

I quickly got on and as I was getting on one dog tried to jump on me and bit my foot .

The monk took off quickly

I wanted to go back and shoot these dogs 

How do you guys who live in village handle this? Do these dogs get to know you after awhile ?

so do everyone a favour and go back and shoot them

or do the poison in the meat trick

this should be done all over Thailand

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I also carry a blade, so nothing will end badly for me or my dog.  Common sense, know your surroundings & prepare for the worst.  I have one walking stick that is actually a sheath, for the sword inside.   A bit of overkill though.

Using common sense works fine.  

You forgot the body armour  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

so do everyone a favour and go back and shoot them

or do the poison in the meat trick

this should be done all over Thailand

Disgusting comment .

Take care that you do not get a dose of your own " medicine " .

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Exactly. Thai dogs can smell fear. 

Also, it's to do with the way you walk. I can tell a foreigner a kilometre away by the way he walks. 

Lucky you. I couldn't see them that far away whatever nationality they are.  ????

• Haha 1

I live in a village in Isaan although we are away from the centre.  We often see quite a few dogs when we go to the market. We also walk round the reservoir that's next to it and see others. I've never had a problem and rarely get barked at and if I do it usually a dig in a house were walking past. 

I think the advice to stay calm is good. A stick may help in that it gives you confidence,  although if a pack of dogs were to attack, which I doubt, then I don't think you'd be able to beat them all off. One thing that can help before they get too close is don't look directly at them, and if possible look down as that shows you aren't challenging them. 

Good luck

15 minutes ago, J Branche said:

Many security guards around dogs and monkeys also use a sling shot.  Hit near them and they understand.  

The security guards in the gated communities around me look after the soi dogs, giving them water, help when others come to donate food, etc.  Then the security guards have the soi dogs on their side if/when problems arise.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Do these dogs get to know you after

Sure, after the first bite they become all your friends, but it's already too late ????

Or keep some dog biscuits in your pocket and thought it out when they get too close to you, just like those fighters that through flares out for following missiles. ????????

3 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Sure, after the first bite they become all your friends, but it's already too late ????

Or keep some dog biscuits in your pocket and thought it out when they get too close to you, just like those fighters that through flares out for following missiles. ????????

Or is that chaff?

Just to clarify, this isn't meant to be taken seriously and start a long discussion on military anti missile systems

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Always carry a walking stick if suspect dogs may be a problem. If a pack & aggressive, hit the alpha, and the rest will whimper away with him.

Usually just pointing a stick at them is enough, as they know.  Only time I've had to use one, It broke in half, on the lead dogs head charging toward me & dog while walking ... they (3) scurried off.  That hurt, as it wasn't a thin walking stick.

Was it a Baseball Bat ?? I Need one so Do @Lazada THSell Them ??

Edited by 747man
More Added

We don't have many soy dogs in my area, but I'm going to build (DIY) a "shocker" by a 1" PVC pipe and a high voltage module in case if It becomes handy in some other places. It will look like walking helper stick that could teach a good lesson to aggressive crazy dogs. It won't heart them but it is good enough for keeping them away if they try to bite you.