Village pack dogs

georgegeorgia

19 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Perhaps try to keep up with the world economy and see how much money is spent each year on pets, pet toys, pet food, pet clothing, pet healthcare, etc...... and then how many people in the world are homeless, starving, and dying.

Seems as though the priority has already been set.

Not particularly relevant to me. I am not a pet guy. I like dogs. Couldn't care less about cats. And wouldn't own a pet at this stage of my life, as I have no interest in surrendering my freedom, independence and liberty to an animal. 

And I care not one iota about either what is popular, nor where people's obsessions lie. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Can we agree on one thing, they can be part of the solution? 

How did western countries get rid of stray dogs? 

I've never said they can't be "part" of the solution. It was you that disagreed with my comment about pet owners.

Western country populations are, generally, responsible pet owners. 

11 minutes ago, connda said:

Honestly - where?  If you pay 20K THB for a rabies series you've been seriously ripped off.  Heck, come to my house.  I have rabies vaccinations in the refrigerator (I actually do).  I'll give a 5 shot series for ???? how about only 5,000 THB.  <laughs>  A savings of 75%!!!  ????

I work with stray animals in our village.  We attempt to either neuter or give neutering shots to strays or puppies that show up/dropped off.  Same with cats and kittens.  The village gives all animals in the village rabies shots for free annually.
Nips and bites happen.  At my local hospital an individual rabies shot costs a couple hundred THB if that.  Do the math for a 3 or 5 shot series.  At most you're out a thousand baht. 

Not bad prices, the vlogger Bangkok Pat was bitten in Bkk, cost him 12k at a private hospital, 6k at government. So with all the neutering has the stray population gone down?

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have put this in the isaan forum because this is where it's happened twice !!

Over the past few years I have been to see my friend in a small village near Wan Non , 

Both occassion I walked by myself to the local temple to look around.

First time was ok some dogs barking and tried to surround me and nip me but I managed to get away.

Second time a few years later and walked around the village again by myself and went to the temple ,now this is in a rural area and I thought about the first time but this time I didn't see any dogs but....I could hear dogs barking in the background far away .

20 minutes later I'm leaving to see a pack of dogs surrounime.

About 8 of them , barking ferocious and one attempting to snap at my legs .

At that moment a monk driving a motorcycle with sidecar stopped and  ushered me on.

I quickly got on and as I was getting on one dog tried to jump on me and bit my foot .

The monk took off quickly

I wanted to go back and shoot these dogs 

How do you guys who live in village handle this? Do these dogs get to know you after awhile ?

Mace machete or drive fast

yes .... I won't walk in a Soi if it has any more than one or two ...... especially not when I see a bunch of them laying on the roadway.    Carry a bamboo or any stick or a pocket sling shot .....  if they do come toward you quickly,  even pretending to pick up a rock to throw will deter them and they will backtrack. 

51 minutes ago, proton said:

Not bad prices, the vlogger Bangkok Pat was bitten in Bkk, cost him 12k at a private hospital, 6k at government. So with all the neutering has the stray population gone down?

"A fool and his money are soon parted," as the old saying goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

So it's not up to politicians after all.

Thanks for clarifying.

The stray dogs originally were pets. Even going back several generations of dogs. They didn't just appear.

All 5 of our dogs were spayed/nutured at the local ampher clinic. 200 baht per dog. No whiskey or rice involved.

400 here at our ampure. But I wouldnt do it at our ampure to our animals at any price. Still a good option for the locals, and better than nothing.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Honestly - where?  If you pay 20K THB for a rabies series you've been seriously ripped off.  Heck, come to my house.  I have rabies vaccinations in the refrigerator (I actually do).  I'll give a 5 shot series for ???? how about only 5,000 THB.  <laughs>  A savings of 75%!!!  ????

I work with stray animals in our village.  We attempt to either neuter or give neutering shots to strays or puppies that show up/dropped off.  Same with cats and kittens.  The village gives all animals in the village rabies shots for free annually.
Nips and bites happen.  At my local hospital an individual rabies shot costs a couple hundred THB if that.  Do the math for a 3 or 5 shot series.  At most you're out a thousand baht. 

A friend had a series of rabies and other related shots from a dog bite recently in a regional, public hospital. Cost him 20,000 baht. You have a good deal. Not the same everywhere. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

A friend had a series of rabies and other related shots from a dog bite recently in a regional, public hospital. Cost him 20,000 baht. You have a good deal. Not the same everywhere. 

Unlikely there is a 40x difference.

Unless it's the difference between those that got ripped off and those that didn't.

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

450 Baht-ish per jab at a local clinic in Phra Khanong and they give you vaccination book. Edit:  ( Which I can't find)

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

Proud = foolish, in this case.

Thank you, very appreciated! I do not care to start explaining how the local vets are, and my background knowing the difference from well educated vets, and an ampure vet in our district.

Just now, Hummin said:

Thank you, very appreciated! I do not care to start explaining how the local vets are, and my background knowing the difference from well educated vets, and an ampure vet in our district.

Funny.

Vets are required to work in public surgeries for 2 years once qualified.

The private vets, that you perceive to be better qualified, graduated from the same establishments.

Also, it is far more likely vets in private practices are less qualified than those in public practices, or even not qualified at all.