Village pack dogs

georgegeorgia

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

No wonder you have problems with dogs, being  insecure and violence is the only tool you know. 

This is how it is, and not unlikely any other previously developing country included Usa today! 

I don't have a problem with dogs, sounds like you are  projecting how ineffective you personally would be in a dangerous situation.  Of course your solution is to do nothing and pray for the best -- you're powerless to do anything anyway.

You might have a problem with dogs -- if you're an old, meek, little weakling. I'm young, tall, and strong and could literally crush the life out of a typical mangy soi dog.  They're skinny. My hands could wrap around their midsection entirely.

They don't bother me except for barking. They don't approach me. A pack of 8 getting an idea of harassing me can get a broken bottle to the throat the moment they get close to me with hostile intent.

Not everyone is a crusty hippie baby boomer with a peace, love, and passiveness way of life, maaaannnnnn ????

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If you must, carry pepper spray, or a can of insect spray. Nearly all creatures hate insect spray, as they cannot handle the smell. A long strong bamboo staff also helps. If nothing else works, culling is a good practice. I have done it a few times. I do not want a lecture about animal cruelty. They simply need start a nationwide culling program. Most soi dogs are a nuisance. Most are mangy, some are disease ridden, many are hungry, tired, and lead terrible lives of desperation. Some attack people, some terrorize neighborhoods. Many harass the domestic dogs, and cause them to bark all night long, like in my neighborhood. Nobody wants to do anything about it. Culling is the answer. If they found a budget for it, they could do it Western style. Round up the dogs, clean them up, vaccinate them, and put them up for adoption. The ones who are not adopted after 60 days are simply put down. Nothing cruel about it. Not doing something like this, is both cruel to the dogs and to the neighborhoods they infest. There is no merit in feeding them.

The average dog bite cost alot money. A series of rabies shots, etc. And that is assuming someone was not hurt badly, like a small child. So, we should prioritize the health of mangy, miserable soi dogs over the well being of the human population? And the cost of treatment is up to 20,000 baht for a series of rabies shots. And that assumes it was a light bite and no other injuries occurred. Many of these soi dogs are insane and true desperados. The real solution is massive, nationwide culling. These are mangy creatures, leading desperate lives. Show some nerve and compassion and take them out of the misery. Clean up the streets!

People get so sensitive about soi dogs, yet they do not hesitate to encourage the killing of pigs, cows and other animals for their own enjoyment and consumption. Isn't there a bit of hypocrisy there? If you eat animals, you are responsible for their slaughter. At least one can make an argument that the animals they eat serve a function. That argument cannot be made about the mangy, diseased, pestilent, sad, forlorn, abandoned soi dogs. They lead lives of desperation. If you love them show some commitment and adopt a few. Otherwise, let's get rid of them.

Rabies is an epidemic here. They shut down the economy for covid. They don't shut down the highways due to traffic deaths, and they don't do anything about the soi dog tragedy and dangers.

2786_23_3_2023_13_25_17_3_PY23STRAYDOGS3.JPG

stray-dogs-on-ladder-2022-11-04-00-51-19-utc-2-1.jpg

I agree to kill off all stray dogs, but not contribute to them suffer more. It is a political problem, and a problem in any poor countries, and same in Usa today many places where people have lost their jobs and left their dogs loose. 

Only Politicians can solve these stray dog problems, but they are not willing to take the necessary force to solve the problem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Disagree. Dog owners can help.

Strays don't just appear. They were once pets. Owners got bored and left them to fend for themselves. Owners don't spay the dogs so, when they become stray, they breed and breed and breed.

A dog is a commitment. Not just a fad. Teach that to the general public and the problem is half solved.

Did most people just started using seat belts because they thought it was a good idea? It was a long process back in the west, and how many lifes and costly campaigns did it take before it was a natural thing to do for most drivers? 

It takes a goverment to make sure people become more responsible be it drugs, food, safety issues, and house animals as farm animals.

People are people, and just that

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

It takes a goverment to make sure people become more responsible be it drugs, food, safety issues, and house animals as farm animal.

That's funny.

Everyone sitting at home waiting for their government to tell them what to do, what's right and what's safe. No one thinking for themselves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

That's funny.

Everyone sitting at home waiting for their government to tell them what to do, what's right and what's safe. No one thinking for themselves.

Try to look back on your own country how common sense if any have been formed. 

Obviously you do not remember drunk driving and seat belt campaigns from your own time? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

How do you guys who live in village handle this? Do these dogs get to know you after awhile?

I know most of the local dogs, none of whom bother me.  I've crossed paths with packs on walks outside my village.  Put some rocks in your pockets.  If aggressive dogs come your way, sling a couple of rocks their way.  Also, don't look weak or show fear.  My guess?  They look at you like fearful prey. 

I wanted to go back and shoot these dogs 

You have access to a gun?  You'll end up in prison on weapons charges.  Then charges for killing the dogs will pale in comparison.  And you'll lose the gun.  Really - stupid idea.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Hummin said:

Try to look back on your own country how common sense if any have been formed. 

Obviously you do not remember drunk driving and seat belt campaigns from yiur own time? 

Indeed, I do remember the campaigns. That's not to say that everyone was driving their cars drunk all the time.

In most scenarios there is a small percentage of people ruining it for the others.

If everyone waited around for the government to lead them in everyday life, nothing would get done.

My parents have taught me a gazillion more things than any government possibly could.

Government can't teach compassion, affection, love, commitment, solace. Likewise they can't teach the opposites.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So, we should prioritize the health of mangy, miserable soi dogs over the well being of the human population? 

Perhaps try to keep up with the world economy and see how much money is spent each year on pets, pet toys, pet food, pet clothing, pet healthcare, etc...... and then how many people in the world are homeless, starving, and dying.

Seems as though the priority has already been set.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I got mine for 500b.

You probably didn't get the rabies immune globulin, recommended by places that don't worry about cost.  The rabies vaccine itself is pretty cheap.

I'll let someone else chime in with details and why you would or wouldn't want to pay the extra.

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

You probably didn't get the rabies immune globulin, recommended by places that don't worry about cost.  The rabies vaccine itself is pretty cheap.

I'll let someone else chime in with details and why you would or wouldn't want to pay the extra.

No need to pay " extra". I got the full dose of vaccine, as directed by the hospital. 

The same that everyone else gets. With only 5 deaths from rabies in 2021, latest available figures, the vaccine given clearly works.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

That's funny.

I have to adjust my reply, I among many other learned dicipline and common basic moral and behavior from home and my environment where we lived, but looking back, many was not that lucky, and still is not as lucky as I was. 

There is a reason why we have governments to act on behalf of us to protect land, people and animals.

We have nutured all our animals at a animal clinic, our neighbours can do it through ampure, but it will cost them two bottles of sangsom or a couple of bags of rice. 

In most cases around in the villages, the stray dogs is not owned by anyone, but the home they stay with, started to feed them when they first showed up. So it is not so easy. 

In Usa today, stray dogs is still a problem, but there is money and people willing to do volunteer work for free to give them nutrition, health care and a new home. Also a big business for some. 

Not many tax payers is willing to pay. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have to adjust my reply, I among many other learned dicipline and common basic moral and behavior from home and my environment where we lived, but looking back, many was not that lucky, and still is not as lucky as I was. 

There is a reason why we have governments to act on behalf of us to protect land, people and animals.

We have nutured all our animals at a animal clinic, our neighbours can do it through ampure, but it will cost them two bottles of sangsom or a couple of bags of rice. 

In most cases around in the villages, the stray dogs is not owned by anyone, but the home they stay with, started to feed them when they first showed up. So it is not so easy. 

In Usa today, stray dogs is still a problem, but there is money and people willing to do volunteer work for free to give them nutrition, health care and a new home. Also a big business for some. 

Not many tax payers is willing to pay. 

So it's not up to politicians after all.

Thanks for clarifying.

The stray dogs originally were pets. Even going back several generations of dogs. They didn't just appear.

All 5 of our dogs were spayed/nutured at the local ampher clinic. 200 baht per dog. No whiskey or rice involved.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Indeed, I do remember the campaigns. That's not to say that everyone was driving their cars drunk all the time.

In most scenarios there is a small percentage of people ruining it for the others.

If everyone waited around for the government to lead them in everyday life, nothing would get done.

My parents have taught me a gazillion more things than any government possibly could.

Government can't teach compassion, affection, love, commitment, solace. Likewise they can't teach the opposites.

If you have a dysfunctional goverment, it influence the people in a great way. 

26 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No need to pay " extra". I got the full dose of vaccine, as directed by the hospital. 

The same that everyone else gets. With only 5 deaths from rabies in 2021, latest available figures, the vaccine given clearly works.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but there's a school of thought that says if you didn't need the immune globulin, you didn't really need the vaccine, either. 

The vast majority of dog bites don't result in rabies.  But once again, I just brought up that "expensive" rabies treatment will include rabies immune globulin.  Someone else will have to chime in to educate us in why anyone should or shouldn't pay that extra money.  Good info for anyone who may get bitten in the future. 

I had my rabies treatment around 2010 when I got tagged by a Tibetan Mastiff.  Thank God it was a puppy and I was wearing winter clothes.  Tibetan mastiffs kill bears.

Edit:  The cynical side of me tells me that if thieving insurance companies in the USA will approve the $2,000-4,000 cost of the rabies immune globulin, there must be something to it. (It's cheaper in Thailand...)

Edited by impulse

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

So it's not up to politicians after all.

Thanks for clarifying.

The stray dogs originally were pets. Even going back several generations of dogs. They didn't just appear.

All 5 of our dogs were spayed/nutured at the local ampher clinic. 200 baht per dog. No whiskey or rice involved.

Can we agree on one thing, they can be part of the solution? 

How did western countries get rid of stray dogs? 

• Thanks 1