Water proof paint? Mold and mildew and dust resistent etc?

ElephantEgo

11 minutes ago, JakeR said:

Can anyone recommend a good product that is very water resistant and ant fungal, anti dust or anything?

THanks

White Concrete sealer for new concrete, works just as good on old concrete IME. can over paint with any color, many different makes on the market. I presume you want it for for concrete. if not what for. 

IMG_20230719_092859.thumb.jpg.c1c90034e11eee900af76623d57663cb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Two part epoxy paint, cleans easily very durable and lasts better than anything I’ve ever used before. Never had a mold problem either. If applied to a smooth surface prep with muriatic acid first, then wash the surface with plain water 

I used to work at Sherman & Williams, and never...never...never, did we ever suggest adding water in any primer or paint.

Here/TH, they add water to concrete sealer, primer & paint, and wonder why they get the results they do.  I repainted my first house here, as original didn't last 1 year.  sold it 7 yrs later, it didn't need a paint job.

Same with 2nd, now on 3rd.  

Do NOT add water to sealer, primer, paint. 

TOA fan myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

I can only recommend not to use dulux.  I have been disappointed with several types of their paints. 

Wow really?  My house, inside and out, plus boundary walls all apinted with Dulu near 10 years ago and mostly still like new.  Weathershield outside and Easy Care inside.  My prefered brand back in Aussie too as never had a problem.

Well actually I did have a problem but not with the paint rather the ancient systems of measurement used in the US and its lack of standardisation:

Some of Dulux's paints are in litres and square meter coverage while the undercoats are in gallons (and its US gals just to really stick it up you) with square yards lol!  What a nightmare to calculate your needs.

Just now, ThaiFelix said:

Wow really?  My house, inside and out, plus boundary walls all apinted with Dulu near 10 years ago and mostly still like new.  Weathershield outside and Easy Care inside.  My prefered brand back in Aussie too as never had a problem.

Well actually I did have a problem but not with the paint rather the ancient systems of measurement used in the US and its lack of standardisation:

Some of Dulux's paints are in litres and square meter coverage while the undercoats are in gallons (and its US gals just to really stick it up you) with square yards lol!  What a nightmare to calculate your needs.

Can appreciate not every single one of their products.  I over exaggerate but tried cabinet piant following directions to a T and an interior trim paint . Both were noticeably worse than taubmans I now buy.  The taubmans trim and gold can wall paint is fantastic. Very nice to paint with, easy to keep clean.  I recommended to a pro painter and he did comment back,  not bad at all.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I used to work at Sherman & Williams, and never...never...never, did we ever suggest adding water in any primer or paint.

Here/TH, they add water to concrete sealer, primer & paint, and wonder why they get the results they do.  I repainted my first house here, as original didn't last 1 year.  sold it 7 yrs later, it didn't need a paint job.

Same with 2nd, now on 3rd.  

Do NOT add water to sealer, primer, paint. 

TOA fan myself.

I agree totally with what you are saying.  However in Thailand with its hot climate I think they add water due to it drying so quickly.   I had to when I painted my house.  They add too much water to concrete too.  The problem I have found is the average Thai guy has no idea about fractions/percentages or formula so are too heavy handed.  

52 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Anybody try thickening up paint to help hide small imperfections.  Not heavy like popcorn style just enough texture so when you roll it out it keeps more of an orange peel affect

Thicker nap roll on brush will accomplish that.  Thinner nap will give more flatter, smoother look.

nap sizing

Foam brush for no texture at all, or brush stokes a hair brush will leave.

Tapered end of foam brush makes for easy cutting in molding.  Once use to it, don't need masking tape, and saves a lot of time.

Edited by KhunLA

There is a cheap brand called Welltech.

I painted out my renovated bathroom walls with it.

Nearly two years ago.  No bubbling, washable and no color fade.  Very happy.  I don't recall how much cheaper than TOA paint it was but it was around 50% cheaper.

I used a TOA water based primer on the rendered cement underneath..

I live with Thais,  house they use primer and a flat base a short period mold on the walls for example retaining walls outside. 

When it was time to paint I didn't like the color I sanded prep and put a primer then painted with a semi -gloss with the color I wanted. Only house on the soi front that shows no mildew. 

With the hot sun it will happen the paint after five years keeping the same color I use the old color as a primer sand and prep repaint with one coat Semi gloss. 

Neighbors how the hell he does it so fast my wife just say made in the USA. ????

Keep it simple

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 2:17 PM, ThaiFelix said:

Conversion of units is easy online.  For instance 1 sq yard =  0.836127 sq mtr

Just ask what you want to convert.

• 1 month later...

My condo developer cut corners on the fire escape stair case walls by not applying the concrete primer before painting.  Mold and blistering paint are very hard to eliminate.  We have been trying to correct this problem for 20 years and the paint keeps blistering and molding over.

Once the concrete wall has been properly primed with the water proof membrane, high quality paints usually don't mold or blister.  I have used mostly Jotun brands top products.

I recently had a similar issue in my basement, and I can understand your concerns. After some research, I discovered a reputable mold remediation service, which you might find useful too. They have experts who can assess your situation and recommend the right products.I highly recommend checking out https://www.ssrestore.com/mold-remediation-san-diego/. They specialize in mold remediation and have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to dealing with moisture-related problems.I reached out to them, and their guidance was invaluable. They recommended products that were not only water-resistant but also effective in preventing mold and mildew growth.

Edited by Junkyness

The paint is rarely at fault. It's usually the painter who gets stingy with the product and over dillute. This happens even in using staff recommended or employed by those swanky pool villa developpments. I recall in Hua Hin once when I rented a villa in a farang run house developpment. Not only it was more costly then a hotel. but also much to far away from the main town area.  On peeping over the walls in the houses around,  I saw many practically brand new homes that were not even occupied, that had their paint crapping on various parts. Very bad work and many residents were saying that the developpers used bad labour to do much of the jobs (paint or general finish). Bad construction in these villa developpments of Hua Hin. Bad image for the developpement. But foolish farang owners just don't seem to care and pay like geese.