Bang Saen nightlife

mrblonde

I’m over in November and considering Bang Saen for 2 nights for Loy Kratong.  Is there a central area, bars and restaurants?  I’m assuming it will be mostly Thai bars and very few westerners? 

going to look on AirBandB and need a landmark to search for accommodation near by

thanks all 

1 hour ago, mrblonde said:

I’m over in November and considering Bang Saen for 2 nights for Loy Kratong.  Is there a central area, bars and restaurants?  I’m assuming it will be mostly Thai bars and very few westerners? 

going to look on AirBandB and need a landmark to search for accommodation near by

thanks all 

Just stay around the University area....most of what happens is around there.

As you said mostly Thai orientated, but have some massage places as well.

• Like 1

I went there a few years ago and just my personal experience. I found the place boring as bat shet. The water at the beach wasn't deep enough to swim and that was only if u could get past packs of the most savage soi dogs I ever seen. Township nothing at all. We were told there was a mine or something nearby and many people earning good money hence no interest in a tourist economy. I have seen others post here they loved the place so maybe I just had an unlucky experience

• Like 1

Had a brief 2 night stay there pre Covid plus a couple of day trips. The beach is hot and humid with no breeze and scoffing down huge platefuls of seafood is the thing. Nightlife is mostly aimed at the students so beer is cheap. We enjoyed a night in a farang bar till I got barred at chucking out time for arguing over a 20 Baht charge for a game of pool.

There was a Walking Street at the most northerly end of town but we never ventured that far.

During one day we visited the marine museum at the University and they had an impressive collection of live jellyfish.

Our hotel was OK, called United Place.

There is a University Hospital on the main drag so plenty of eye candy amongst the student nurses.

Overall, I would not rush back there.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I went there a few years ago and just my personal experience. I found the place boring as bat shet. The water at the beach wasn't deep enough to swim and that was only if u could get past packs of the most savage soi dogs I ever seen. Township nothing at all. We were told there was a mine or something nearby and many people earning good money hence no interest in a tourist economy. I have seen others post here they loved the place so maybe I just had an unlucky experience

Stupid me got mixed up, I was thinking of somewhere else Prachuap Khiri Khan province. Never been to Bang Saen but I do know guys who go there for a break from Pattaya and speak highly of it. Old school bar area. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I've been to Bang Saen many times & don't recall seeing any bar areas though granted I was only going for a beach break from Bangkok

Are you sure you're not mixing it up with Ban Chang which does have an old school bar area & is somewhere that regular crawls from Pattaya are run to.  

Yes, recommend Ban Chang, especially it's afternoon bar sessions. Bang Saen always looked fairly boring to me, however, never spent much time there and usually only went to visit daughter who was a university student and rented a flat there. That was several years back though.

• Like 2

Lived in Bangsaen 11 years, fun, lively, still "Thai", nice beaches (if you know where to go and depending on time of year). Weekdays, peaceful fishing village vibe, weekends crazy full on happy zone. If I get bored of local vibe, simply visit Bangkok or Pattaya, both are short hop away,. after this nice to return home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We stayed in Bang Saen couple days meeting relatives early June. It was my first time there and as told already, it is a weekend and

public holiday city. Nothing happens other days. Beach boulevard was nice to walk and had a lot of food stalls,

but the beach was full of small rubbish and on Saturday night the sea was full of trash.

Can't blame farangs about trashing because 99.99% of people were Thais

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. 

Me and mrsblonde (English) are cool with only/predominantly Thai places and seen a few bars that look OK on YouTube.  Have booked 2 nights in The Sea hotel on the beachfront for a weekend when we arrive in early Nov, with a view of maybe returning 2 weeks later for Loy Krathong if we like it. 

We usually do Loy Krathong in Ayutthaya, but not heading there this year.  

Thinking of doing one night in Rayong but again, unsure of the better nightlife areas there (we know they will be very placid compared to our usual hangouts of Bukhaow, Tree Town and soi 7)