Cost of Skin Cancer Screening, Biopsy and Cryotherapy in BKK

AlohaThai

Does anyone have personal experience at any of the below mentioned hospitals for skin cancer screening, skin biopsy or cryotherapy? What was the cost for these services? It seems difficult to get much detailed info over the phone or by email from these hospitals. I have read several threads regarding skin cancer but there doesn't seem to be much info on the cost. I'm trying to get detailed cost info for these specific hospitals as I've heard the cost can differ significantly. Any info you can provide from your personal experience is appreciated.

1. Bumrungrad International Hospital

2. Bangkok Hospital

3. Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

4. BNH (Bangkok Nursing Hospital)

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Nobody can give you a quote for all this since it will greatly depend on number of lesions and (if biopsy needed) their size/depth. The least expensive option would be the government derm hospital  https://www.iod.go.th/en/

Be forewarned that experience with skin cancer is very, very limited in Thailand. especially when it comes to the utility of a general skin check.  Reliability of biopsy results can also be iffy if (as is usually the case) the pathologist has seen few skin cancers in their career. Best doctor for  this is in Pattaya     https://bangkokpattayahospital.com/doctor/anna-jaruwarn-m-d/

US traind and board certified and worked in southern California for many years. Has a specific pathologist she uses for reading biopsies.

A bit surprised by this post Sheryl, I do regularly screening (face, scalp) at Skin Center in Ram Hospital CM, I find the dermatologist very competent. But probably you base this on a wider sample of reports. Anyway, to answer OP: typical screening (face, scalp) including chemical peeling and cryo-freeze of a dozen spots is 1800B. Once I had a biopsy (nose), 1600B if I read the bill correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was wondering about skin cancer treatment if I had extended stays in Thailand and what the quality of care might be as well as what kind of treatment would be available. 

Contrary to what someone else has posted, I have no problem getting appointments for skin cancer treatment here in the U.S. of A. with my dermatologist.   That might be due to the office I go to or the area of the U.S. that I live in.   

I had my 6 month exam for skin cancers the third week of June this year and left the next week, returning to the U.S. the second week of August.    I had multiple phone messages from my dermatologist and a letter asking me to contact the office and arrange for treatment of a skin cancer.    They sent a letter because I was not responding to their multiple phone calls. 

A week after contacting the office I was scheduled for treatment beginning last week.  I had a choice of a Mohs surgery, or radiation treatment.  I chose the radiation treatment rather than outpatient surgery on my neck.   

I have had several Mohs surgeries that last almost an hour, one or two went more than 1 hour.   Each one I ended up having a pad of gauze taped to my skin, that I had to keep on for a couple of days.  I think I was told not to get the wound wet when bathing.   

Edited by radiochaser

19 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Bangkok Hospital

Screened and Biopsy by a dermatologist maybe 3000 baht not sure but not unreasonable.

Then an operation by a very skilled surgeon with a full operating team around 40,000 baht but not exactly sure it was a few years ago but again very reasonable and great service.

Yes. My friend got that treatment at Bangkok hospital in Phuket.

$1,600, Canadian. 40,000 bahts.

Seemed satisfied.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Contrary to what someone else has posted, I have no problem getting appointments for skin cancer treatment here in the U.S. of A. with my dermatologist.   That might be due to the office I go to or the area of the U.S. that I live in.   

My 4 month wait was due to my insurance situation.  Very few dermatologists in the network and the fastest I could get in was 4 months.  Before I could get in, I found myself in Thailand (missing my USA appt) so I made an appt at Bumrungrad and got in that same day. 

But my sister, in a different network, makes her dermatologist appointments 6 months in advance so it may be my location in the Houston area.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, impulse said:

Just before Covid, I had a full body (visual) screening, she froze a bunch of spots and cut out one dime sized carcinoma on my forehead for about 11,000 baht, all in including the biopsy.  That was at Samitivej.  Probably 2019.  (Edit:  She gave me the option of getting in a plastic surgeon, but I declined for my ugly mug, and there's virtually no scar anyway)

A few months ago, I had a screening and a bunch of spots frozen at Bumrungrad (no cutting and no biopsy) and it was around 5,000 baht.  Base price was less than 2,000 baht, but she had to spend a LOT of time on my bald, very sunburnt head.

Both cases, made the appointment and got treated the same day.  Contrast that to waiting 4 months to even get an dermatologist appointment in the USA and I'd suggest anyone coming to Thailand get that done while you're here. 

One of the considerations for those of us taking blood thinners is that laser use seals the skin whereas cyro use allows the bleeding.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2023 at 1:50 PM, impulse said:

A few months ago, I had a screening and a bunch of spots frozen at Bumrungrad (no cutting and no biopsy) and it was around 5,000 baht.  Base price was less than 2,000 baht, but she had to spend a LOT of time on my bald, very sunburnt head.

The same - a screening and a some spots frozen at Bumrungrad recently. 7,000 Baht. It was done in 10 minutes or so.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, arithai12 said:

A bit surprised by this post Sheryl, I do regularly screening (face, scalp) at Skin Center in Ram Hospital CM, I find the dermatologist very competent. But probably you base this on a wider sample of reports. Anyway, to answer OP: typical screening (face, scalp) including chemical peeling and cryo-freeze of a dozen spots is 1800B. Once I had a biopsy (nose), 1600B if I read the bill correctly.

I went to a dermo in Udon for screening after a BCC was found on my temple.   She asked me to take off my shirt to look at my back but stopped me taking off my jeans saying no need???  I dont know what she studied at uni but seems I knew more after 5 minutes on the internet lol!

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 8:01 AM, Andre0720 said:

Yes. My friend got that treatment at Bangkok hospital in Phuket.

$1,600, Canadian. 40,000 bahts.

Seemed satisfied.

The doctors seemed very skilled the clinic dermatologist was a surgeon and the operating room surgeon was plastic surgeon with close to 40 years experience a retired professor spoke great English and full of energy.

Both doctors see Caucasians close to daily so I would not be concerned about experience at all. The arm surgery ended up looking like a 6 inch letter S. He explained it carefully why he was doing that and my wife who is an artist got it right away - I still am not sure but all is well. Even though many stitches only a very thin scar in the shape of an S all is well...

Edited by TravelerEastWest

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 10:13 PM, Sheryl said:

Best doctor for  this is in Pattaya     https://bangkokpattayahospital.com/doctor/anna-jaruwarn-m-d/

US traind and board certified and worked in southern California for many years. Has a specific pathologist she uses for reading biopsies.

I went to Dr Anna a little over a year for a skin checkup and to have her look at a lesion I had on my leg that is a little bigger than the size of a pea that I had had for a year or two.  

Dr Anna told me she had never seen anything like it before, and not to worry, it is not cancer.   Everyone else who saw it, from friends and family and footmassage ladies were like:  What is that?  You should get that looked at and removed.  

Fast Forward to last week when I went to a dermatologist here in the US.  She about jumped out of her shoes when she saw it, and instantly said it was Basal Cell skin cancer.  She did a biopsy that came back confirming her diagnosis.  

What happened to me should be subject to malpractice.   Diagnosing Basal Cell is about as easy as it gets, and if you are not sure, why not get a biopsy?   The doc as well as her assistant here were in complete disbelief that I had this looked at previously with that result.

As for me, I have appoinments w a surgeon for Mohrs surgery as well as with a reconstructive surgeon for whatever damage they incur.  Needless to say, had I caught this more than a year ago, it likely would have been a lesser procedure.  And I actually count myself lucky as the doc here was worried it could have been something worse.

Thailand can be a bit of the wild west for medicine, and for those of you with fair skin like me, it would probably be wise to see more than one or two doctors to improve your odds that you see someone skilled enough to detect anything amiss.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1