No outside food or drink….

bob smith

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

2) bob made the mistake of complaining on a forum where people more commonly attack the Op than try to understand the situation. 

do you have any opinion/insight as to why this is, richard? is it a case of sampling bias/echo chamber?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is what happens with over population. People start fighting for resources and it causes all kinds of strange behavior. Puts people into an animal survival mode.

They may start carrying food everywhere they go, hoarding things, and we see a breakdown in norms like taking a dump on the sidewalk or on public transit.

I think it could happen to any country though, so I don’t think it’s really a racial issue, though it seems to be China based as China has an over population problem.

Edited by JimTripper

9 minutes ago, actonion said:

Seen in North Pattaya Second Rd. ,    a Chinese child  about 4 Years old   being held by his adult  in the sitting position     Sh ....ing on the footpath,  when finished, they walked off  with out cleaning the child, or their  mess... and people on here complain  about China bashing!!!!

Didn't a Chinese lady defecate on the floor while in the Immigration queue at Suvarnabumi Airport not so long ago ?

Also - this article released.... The Chinese certainly have a reputation.

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1748106/tourists-china-again-criticised-bad-behaviour

• Haha 2

Just now, JimTripper said:

This is what happens with over population. People start fighting for resources and it causes all kinds of strange behavior. Puts people into an animal survival mode.

They may start carrying food everywhere they go, hoarding things, and we see a breakdown in norms like taking a dump on the sidewalk or on public transit.

I think it could happen to any country though, so I don’t think it really a racial issue, though it seems to be China based as China has an over population problem.

I've seen this 'fear of missing out' thing at an Oishi buffet in Thailand years ago. 

Plates of the large prawns were brought out, and hordes of (Thai) 'aunties' scrambled to get there first, clearing the trays of prawns in seconds, carrying 2-3 heaped plates back to their tables...  

It was like watching animals... I never did go back to an Oishi buffet after that.

Thus, regarding tourists behavior here, Thai's also have a reputation for their behavior elsewhere. 

When they judge the behavior of the Chinese, I point out, careful, the Japanese view the behavior of Thai's in a similar light. The same goes for British tourists in area's of Spain.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Pure speculation on your part. They might have bought two coffees, for all you know, and brought their own waters.

I speculated based on the OP

They each ordered a coffee and water for the kids

Not 100% sure on the number of guests, but I get 15 adults and some kids from the OP's rant, each adult ordering a coffee, and assumed an average 50 baht for a coffee.  Unknown number of waters at 10-15 baht per bottle.  So there's my guesstimate for about 750 baht minimum.  Pretty decent haul for a small shop.  If the staff had to clean up a mess, well, that's their job.  Better that than spending the day facebooking and tikkytokking.

Not really sure why it matters, though.  It's a coffee shop.  The Chinese bought some coffees.  If they ate food not available from the shop, so what?  The employees and management apparently had no problem with it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

In summation, you arrived before them, order your coffee.

They arrived, ordered 15 beverages, and ate probably what the shop didn't sell.   

Unless the sign was in Chinese, well ... nuff said.

The stench was so unbearable, you stayed and watch them finish their 3 course meal.

And they are the problem, 15 drinks in less time while eating, than took you to finish your 1 coffee.  Got it.

I know what customers I would prefer as an owner.   Added plus for making the grumpy old bigot uncomfortable.

That was the question raised in my mind … wonder how many of us could read the sign posted if in Shanghai (in Chinese, of course). I have long forgotten most of what I learned studying there in 1986.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

That was the question raised in my mind … wonder how many of us could read the sign posted if in Shanghai (in Chinese, of course). I have long forgotten most of what I learned studying there in 1986.

along with the english print there were also signs of food and beverages with a big red line through them.

I would have thought that this would get the message across, even to a culturally inept chinese family.

Maybe I was wrong?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Goat said:

They just like complaining. They dont know how to have a positive conversation, it isnt their way.

If their were no foreigners to complain about they would be complaining about something else.

You would know, from the places you frequent.............????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:07 AM, bob smith said:

This sign OBVIOUSLY does not apply to Chinese people in Thailand!

I’ve just been for my morning coffee at my regular morning hangout when a family of about 15 Chinese walked in.

I knew the storm was fast approaching.

they sat on the table directly in front of me. Kids were all over the place, climbing on tables, rolling around on the floor, you name it. Then mother goose opened up her backpack and pulled out a packed lunch for all the family, I’m talking full on banquet, orange duck, moo ping, durians,the lot! The stench was almost unbearable! 

all the while I was looking at the sign at the side of their table that read ‘no outside food or drink allowed.’

are these people totally incapable of following simple rules such as this??? If I were the owner I would have booted the lot of them out, but nobody did. They each ordered a coffee and water for the kids but does that give them the right to have a 3 course meal in a bloody coffee shop at 8 o clock in the morning? The mess they left behind was appalling. I felt so sorry for the young student girl who had to clean up after them..

god help us all if they are going to be the new leaders of the world! 

Totally agree - if westerners did it, it would be one v 12 with metal bars!!!!

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I think it could happen to any country though, so I don’t think it’s really a racial issue, though it seems to be China based as China has an over population problem.

Pig ignorance is a good communist trait - manners are only for bourgeoise western capitalists!!!

2 hours ago, Goat said:

They dont know how to have a positive conversation, it isnt their way.

They could always post boring rubbish about whores in Pattaya, right, Goat? ????

Edited by 2baht
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, transam said:

"You happen to notice Brits only like Brits", how on earth have you come to that daft conclusion.............?         ????

Exactly, there are some Brits I can't stand. Its one of the reasons I moved here, but some of the 'uggers followed me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

do you have any opinion/insight as to why this is, richard? is it a case of sampling bias/echo chamber?

Old ugly bitter no hopers. Hiring a bargirl is the highlight of their life. Attacking the OP is no 2 highlight. 

40 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Exactly, there are some Brits I can't stand. Its one of the reasons I moved here, but some of the 'uggers followed me.

I don't know any non Brits that like British males. Only the females.

Edited by bignok
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

Aaah, Goaty is back with yet another dig at the Brits.????

A bit touchy are we?

On a thread by a Brit complaining offensively about another nationality.

But you didnt comment about that, because in your Brit eyes that is fine.

Those in glass houses.

I dont have a problem with people enjoying themselves. Menopausal moaners are annoying though.

And I wasnt offensive /aggressive in my post, unlike the OP.

You do realise there is no law in Thailand that says you have to pretend to like people.

Get over yourself.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2023 at 1:07 PM, bob smith said:

god help us all if they are going to be the new leaders of the world! 

Thailand attracts the bottom of the barrel. I've often been in hotels in Dubai with Chinese present, and they act impeccably and most certainly wouldn't do as you report.