Two cases of new COVID Omicron sub-variant reported in Thailand

snoop1130

2 hours ago, novacova said:

The epidemic of global traffic deaths annually is ~1350000. Now that’s a pandemic. There is a greater chance of dying on the road today than from a snot virus. Though the actual pandemic is the state of mind of the fear that is being perpetuated.

What? Confirmed covid deaths (not total) ran way beyond total global traffic deaths for two years peaking at 14,817 dead per day compared to 3700 daily traffic deaths. Four times! Total estimated Covid deaths (most are not confirmed) is now ~20 million.  Spanish Flu is estimated to have killed between 18 and 50 million.  https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, placnx said:

The differing death rates between right and left make sense. Those on the right are less educated (in general) and so are more susceptible to anti-vaxer BS.

A little ditty

''''Whether on the right or the left

blind, sad, or just plain deaf.

Covid is coming for us all soon

only safe place - it seems - is on the moon.

But until that time arrives

Let us all, live and thrive.

And shout out to those that can still hear

oigh bud - yes you - go buy the beer.''''

Get a move on Muskie. A covid varient is coming for us.

2 hours ago, transam said:

It is reeeeeeally easy for folk like you to ignore threads with "COVID" in the title, what I don't understand is people like you don't, just have to jump aboard to slag it off...................????

Yep. You weren't POTY for nothing???? But somebody's gotta keep it real and offer some perspective. 

For the record...Covid is real. That's indisputable. ????????

I'm triple vaxed...AstraZeneca x2 + Pfizer booster. ????????

But the overreactions and Covidiocy during & since were and still are real too. Not only is that indisputable, but totally unacceptable, as well. :1zgarz5:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yep. You weren't POTY for nothing???? But somebody's gotta keep it real and offer some perspective. 

For the record...Covid is real. That's indisputable. ????????

I'm triple vaxed...AstraZeneca x2 + Pfizer booster. ????????

But the overreactions and Covidiocy during & since were and still are real too. Not only is that indisputable, but totally unacceptable, as well. :1zgarz5:

Oh, so shut down all the ongoing Trump, Visa, MG threads too...............????

But thank you for reminding folk of my successes............????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

CDC advice is if you're already vaccinated or had the previous one you're more likely to get it. How convenient a new booster is approved. 

CYMERA_20230831_043537.jpg

CYMERA_20230831_043604.jpg

Note that, if this is true which I doubt, it would be a reason for us to be much more concerned about the BA.2.86 variant as over 95% of the population has at least partial immunity based on vaccination or prior infection or both.

At this time, those comparing Covid to the flu are not totally wrong. What they are missing is that flu variants can also result in horrendous epidemics. The "Spanish" flu of 1918 to 1920 was worse than Covid, and killed about 50 million people worldwide.

Objectivity is important. We should not panic over every mutation, but surveillance and preparedness ought to be better than it was in 2019 when we were hit with Covid.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Oh, so shut down all the ongoing Trump, Visa, MG threads too...............????

.????

Huh? Umm...no. Don't want to shut anything down. Only opining on the most ridiculous. Like say...Trump, Thaksin, Covidiocy, god beliefs, etc. You know...the truly ???????? crazy stuff

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

Huh? Umm...no. Don't want to shut anything down. Only opining on the most ridiculous. Like say...Trump, Covidiocy, god beliefs, etc. You know...the ???????? crazy stuff

That is your opinion, but you can ignore anything covid related, the same as the others with a covid chat problem, just move on.........:clap2:

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Because the BA.2.86 variant has MORE mutations (dozens) than any of the previous variants, and the current scientific belief is that those will make it able to evade existing protections that people have from both prior infections and also prior vaccinations.

Those issues have been widely reported and written about re the emergence of BA.2.86... But as I mentioned in the earlier posts, no indication thus far that the COVID illnesses it causes tend to be more severe than other Omicron variants.... Still early days on this one.

Immune escape is likely but that's been the case and will continue to be the case. As for the mutations I've seen that it is only on the spike protien. Will this one become the dominat sub-variant or not only time will tell. Other sub-variants have come and gone pretty much in a blink of an eye never gaining dominance.

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

--256 new COVID hospitalizations

--6 new COVID deaths

--124 COVID cases hospitalized in serious condition

--79 COVID cases hospitalized requiring intubation to breathe

Since the start of 2023, 32,488 total COVID hospitalizations and 790 COVID deaths in Thailand.

Out of a Thai population of 71.6 million (2021 Google)! 

(No further comment from me so do not bother to reply). 

• Thanks 2

Per the WHO from its global COVID report as of Aug. 25, which they specifically note is an undercount of actual COVID cases due to decreased reporting by countries/agencies:

--a 63% increase in globally reported COVID cases compared to the prior month.

"In the last 28-day period (24 July to 20 August 2023), nearly 1.5 million new COVID-19 cases and over 2000 deaths were reported from WHO’s six regions, an increase of 63% and a decrease of 48%, respectively, compared to the previous 28 days. As of 20 August 2023, over 769 million confirmed cases and over 6.9 million deaths have been reported globally.

Currently, reported cases do not accurately represent infection rates due to the reduction in testing and reporting globally."

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/weekly-epidemiological-update-on-covid-19---25-august-2023

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Owl obviously can't see ALL. Missing Covid seems more like sees very little

If I may Chris, could I ask you to take a look at Dr Mark Bailey's paper:

''Farewell to Virology.''

It's a bit of a slog being nearly 30,000 words. But there is a film about to be released.