Is Lazada a good place to buy an android phone (google pixel)

recom273

I have never bought a google phone, but my iPhone is dying and I am keen to try out Graphene OS. 

I see some Pixel 4a on Lazada for around 5K, from overseas. The sellers have good reviews, so no reason to believe I will be ripped off. 

Does anyone else have a pixel phone? What prices should I be looking to pay? A Pixel 4 is the last supported model.

6 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Look at the seller's references if you can trust them, personally I prefer Samsung

Yeah, the reviews are ok - I was just wondering if the price was OK from a pixel owners point of view, GrapheneOS doesnt run on Samsung.

Lazada sellers are independent, some are good, some are bad.

I bought multiple MI phones from the official MI shop. All fine.

I would never buy it from an unknown shop.

And I wouldn't trust any shop which pretends they can sell the same item a lot cheaper. Option 1, it's not the same item (maybe different RAM, etc.), or the seller is likely cheating.

And then there is of course the warranty. Some possible cheap imports likely don't have manufacturer warranty in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Lazadas refund process is excellent. I ask seller if its original first.  If they dont respond with a clear yes,  i dont buy. Just helps with your refund process to be a success i feel. 

I like poco m4 pro as it has everything. Audio jack,  nfc,  ir blaster , amoled screen. Which a Lot of phones seem to miss one or all of these useful fn. As the saying goes... 

To ones own choose a mobile phone.

They all do the same thing at the end of the day.  And thats ruin our lives. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Dunno about Pixel but I'd buy from a Lazada official store like Xiaomi when i buy a Redmi next

I don't think pixels are officially released here. I like xiaomi products, but in this instance its more about trying out the OS.

1 minute ago, transam said:

I bought a phone via Lazada because it was cheap, it was a scam, some no brand with a look-a-like case, I did get a refund.......

If me, I would buy another iPhone...????

I'm more interested in trying out the privacy based OS and secondly a reasonably priced android phone, maybe keeping it after I buy a new iPhone.

I was more wondering about the price rather than the pitfalls of buying on lazada.  

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Sorry, you lost me.

Your post suggested otherwise 

if it wasn’t suggesting otherwise what does “Because it doesnt .. ” mean? Based on the post you quoted.

3 hours ago, recom273 said:
3 hours ago, BE88 said:

Why not, it's based on Android

Because it doesnt .. 

https://grapheneos.org/releases

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your post suggested otherwise 

if it wasn’t suggesting otherwise what does “Because it doesnt .. ” mean? Based on the post you quoted.

I’m still lost. 

The poster asked why doesn’t grapheneOS run on Samsung, because it’s android based. How do I know? I’m not the developer, does it really matter to the Samsung owner? The supported models don’t include any Samsung models, afaik it’s an OS for Google pixel phones. I have seen quite a lot of posts on forums of people asking similar questions and the answer is a short and sweet, No.

However, looking through the docs it says that a wide range of android device can be used with the caveat “In most cases, substantial work beyond that will be needed to bring the support up to the same standards. For most devices, the hardware and firmware will prevent providing a reasonably secure device, regardless of the work put into device support.”

I was hoping to hear from a Google pixel owner, regarding the price, I don’t know much about these phones - the retail in other countries for the same model is about 6000THB, but Thai retailers seem to charge a premium. 

9 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

People used to say the same about television.

Were they wrong? 

Negative affects of television?

Attention span degredation initiation started. Increased  warping and brain washing. More voilence and perversion. Fun and funny but not necessarily  good thing for the longevity of a happy society. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

This is because when you quoted a post you didn’t quote enough to make clear the context of your answer.

You clearly understand your answer, but without sufficient context others don’t 

LOL ???? I quoted the whole post from the guy????

• Confused 1

No. Absolutely not. And I buy alot of stuff on Lazada. But, I have learned that you avoid them when it comes to most electronics and higher end items. It is all about service. Easier to deal with the big box dealers, who will be there when you need them. 

As an example I recently bought a wine cooler on Lazada, and after about 3 months it broke down. I tried contacting the seller, they told me that the 60-day warranty had expired and there was nothing that they could do for me. I asked could you at least refer me to a repair person that is capable of fixing the unit and accessing parts? No response, so I ended up contacting a local appliance guy who used a thermostat from an old unit to fix my unit and it worked perfect. Problem solved, but not through Lazada and not through the Lazada dealer. Last time. 5,000 baht is my limit with Lazada. A lifetime rule now. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, recom273 said:

I have never bought a google phone, but my iPhone is dying and I am keen to try out Graphene OS. 

I see some Pixel 4a on Lazada for around 5K, from overseas. The sellers have good reviews, so no reason to believe I will be ripped off. 

Does anyone else have a pixel phone? What prices should I be looking to pay? A Pixel 4 is the last supported model.

I bought a Google Pixel from Lazada a couple of years ago. Great price. Never had an issue with it. 

Headline: Is Lazada a good place to buy an android phone (google pixel)

21 hours ago, recom273 said:

I was more wondering about the price rather than the pitfalls of buying on lazada.

Clear as mud. Not confusing at all. (Sarcasm).

Pricewise many sellers on Lazada demand premium prices on phone brands not sold in Thailand.

Then the warranty issue, and how short it often is.

Most important for most, to get a authentic model, soo many fakes of all kind of electronics are sold online. But if you not worried at all, go for it.

At least try buy from a store with "LazMall or Official Store".

I don't buy electronics from online stores who doesn't have a physical store in country. Too many pitfalls, fakes, and warranty 7 days to 1 month only.

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

LOL ???? I quoted the whole post from the guy????

That may have been the complete post. But you still didn’t have enough context to make it intelligible. If you can’t see that then I am not surprised that you are lost. 

Just because you quote 1 post doesn’t stop you quoting others in the same message 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

I bought a Google Pixel from Lazada a couple of years ago. Great price. Never had an issue with it. 

At last! Thanks!

I will ask for this to be closed now, as this is going the same way as every other thread that mentions Lazada.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wadman said:

Software support (updated versions of Android) and security updates for the Pixel 4a ended on Aug 19, 2023.  So I wouldn't buy the pixel 4a at all. 

https://endoflife.date/pixel

Last column = guaranteed security update

Second last column = active support 

Screenshot_2023-09-02-06-00-47-404_com.brave.browser.thumb.jpg.c6e68641a9c7bae324de3a27af9055f8.jpg

Cheers, I’m not too serious about it, like I mentioned, this is more of an experiment with GrapheneOS.

But that is rather bad, posters in this forum are so quick to come down on apple products but a 2 year old android phone isn’t worth buying because it doesn’t receive security updates?? My iPhone 11 is from 2019 and still a good phone, it’s just hasn’t survived the construction of my house, the screen is cracked and sometimes has a life of its own, which is really embarrassing when trying to pay contractors or the building merchant. 

As strange as it sounds, your info might actually persuade me to take the plunge, it may explain why the Chinese phone is 5K and yet Thai sellers are still trying to get 11K, the same price as a pixel 6. With GrapheneOS, I might get a year or two udates or extended support. 

I will probably end up buying a new iPhone in the future, just not when it’s being dropped out my pocket on a regular basis. Cheers for the tip!

IMG_1778.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 6:09 PM, recom273 said:

If you decide to buy the phone (any phone), if it is shipping from overseas, I strongly suggest you check with The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) and confirm that it has already been approved for import. Also, your life will be much easier if it is insured, registered and shipped via the Post/mail... not Fedex, UPS etc. etc.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Cheers, I’m not too serious about it, like I mentioned, this is more of an experiment with GrapheneOS.

But that is rather bad, posters in this forum are so quick to come down on apple products but a 2 year old android phone isn’t worth buying because it doesn’t receive security updates?? My iPhone 11 is from 2019 and still a good phone, it’s just hasn’t survived the construction of my house, the screen is cracked and sometimes has a life of its own, which is really embarrassing when trying to pay contractors or the building merchant. 

As strange as it sounds, your info might actually persuade me to take the plunge, it may explain why the Chinese phone is 5K and yet Thai sellers are still trying to get 11K, the same price as a pixel 6. With GrapheneOS, I might get a year or two udates or extended support. 

I will probably end up buying a new iPhone in the future, just not when it’s being dropped out my pocket on a regular basis. Cheers for the tip!

IMG_1778.jpeg

The grapheneOS website says about the pixel 4a (non 5G version) :

The following devices are end-of-life, no longer receive full security updates and are supported via extended support releases of GrapheneOS:

• Pixel 4a (sunfish)
  • Pixel 4 XL (coral)
  • Pixel 4 (flame)

We provide extended support releases as a stopgap for users to transition to the far more secure current generation devices.

That really doesn't sound like you can squeeze another 1-2 years out if it. 

Low to mid range Android phones used to get only 3 years of software support and security updates. That is starting to change now for mid range phones, many are getting 4 years now. The high end, flagship phones get a lot more. 

As to whether it's "bad", it depends on how you look at it. My current phone is a xiaomi 11 lite 5g ne. It was released in August 2021, I bought it in May 2022. Last security update slated for Aug 2025. So I can probably safely use in until around Feb 2026. That's 3 years and 9 months. I'm not sure I will even keep it that long. 

I got my for 8700 baht (on a sale) = 250 usd.  My strategy is to buy a mid range phone for around 250 usd, and use it for around 2.5 years. Which works out to 100 usd per year.  If you buy a new iPhone, it will be around 1000 usd, and you'll need to use it for 10 years to get the same 100 usd per year rate.

Then there is the possibilities of you losing the phone, it getting stolen, dropping it and cracking the screen, battery degrading after some years. Which will hurt a lot more for an expensive phone. 

My phone has a snapdragon 778G chip, 8 gb memory, 256 gb storage. While a new iPhone is theoretically superior in performance, I don't feel like I'm missing out at all. And once an iPhone hits the 3 year mark, you'll feel that you are missing out on new features that the phone industry has come up with in the that time. 

• Thanks 1