Amazing Thailand!!

MangoKorat

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Of course, it will be served under "house arrest" and it's much easier to pardon a 12 month sentence :whistling:

Even better.  Time Served or Overcrowding in all jails.  Also, no parole and no ankle monitor. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He is a convicted criminal. Look at the list of his crimes. Why should he get special treatment? Because he is a politician? 

I haven't really been following the case, were they genuine charges against him or were they Trumped up charges , Trumped up charges to keep him out of Politics and to keep him from running in lections ?

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder if that was the deal which Thaksin thought he had. 

I almost feel sad for the old sick man, almost. 

Don't, he's unlikely to spend anymore time in prison.  I suspect that he was promised he wouldn't spend any time at all but got a bit of a shock when he was sent down - kicked off, spat his dummy out and threatened to call off the PM deal. So the hospital plan was hatched.

I don't think Prayuth actually intended him to go to prison - they were just trying to work out which scenario would be least likely to lead to riots. At least this way, Prayuth can claim it was nothing do do with him and we all know that people cannot criticise the person credited with making this decision can they? Otherwise they will go to prison and not get any clemency whatsoever.

20 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Of course they were. Thaksin had far too much support, the generals were shaking in their boots that someone might actually remove them from the trough.

It seems every politician says all charges against them are politically motivated.

Like: An ordinary person commits a crime, i.e. he commits fraud, and goes to jail.

If a politician does the same then suddenly the conviction is "politically motivated". Really?

If there wouldn't have been a crime, then there would be no conviction. 

When the opposition exposes crimes then they might do this because they want to get rid of the people in power. But is it wrong that the opposition does that? Is it wrong that they publish information about corrupt people?

Of course, lots of people oppose(d) Thaksin. And they published information about his crimes. Yes, in a way that was politically motivated that they exposed Thaksin. But the crimes are the same, it doesn't matter who exposed them. And IMHO everybody should be punished for his crimes, including politicians. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He is a convicted criminal. Look at the list of his crimes. Why should he get special treatment? Because he is a politician? 

It depends on who you talk to. He's a hero to most Thais north of Ayutthaya. The same Thais regard Prayut as the criminal.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I haven't really been following the case, were they genuine charges against him or were they Trumped up charges , Trumped up charges to keep him out of Politics and to keep him from running in lections ?

You have little or no idea! ????

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It depends on who you talk to. He's a hero to most Thais north of Ayutthaya. The same Thais regard Prayut as the criminal.

Thaksin is a convicted criminal. And there was enough evidence for everybody who wanted to see the truth, that he was rightful convicted.

I know there are some people in the red villages who just don't care if their hero is a criminal. I will never understand how people support criminals and then they complain about corrupt and incompetent government. Why don't the people vote for honest knowledgeable politicians if they want an honest competent government? It shouldn't be too difficult to understand this.

And obviously that happens all over the world. The best example is the land of the free... 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

You don't think that's standard practice with any Thai government then?

Sure, but sometimes it's a question of the magnitude.

As far as I know the killing of the > 2000 drug suspects was never really investigated.

Who gave the order to kill all the people who were never convicted? 

• Thumbs Up 1

The perfect job for him would to become the new CEO/President/Top Dog of the Elite Visa company (don't know what the new name of this racket is?  I think something like Privilege). Then he can schmooze with the wealthy foreigners' who want to invest and live in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thaksin is a convicted criminal. And there was enough evidence for everybody who wanted to see the truth, that he was rightful convicted.

I know there are some people in the red villages who just don't care if their hero is a criminal. I will never understand how people support criminals and then they complain about corrupt and incompetent government. Why don't the people vote for honest knowledgeable politicians if they want an honest competent government? It shouldn't be too difficult to understand this.

And obviously that happens all over the world. The best example is the land of the free... 

The obvious problem with your question is how one finds enough honest knowledgeable people who are willing to go into politics.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Standard practice when the military illegally kicks out a democratically elected anti-military PM.

They think that it justifies the coup.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But is it wrong that the opposition does that? Is it wrong that they publish information about corrupt people?

Corrupt people? In Thailand?

Seriously, have you not followed what's been going on since Thaksin won the election? Before than even? Have you not watched the 'joker' series that's gone on with different actors for years?

You of all people have been around long enough to know how things work in Thailand.  Its a bit like a beehive - with lots of worker bees and one Queen in the middle of the hive.

The people have always been allowed to 'play' at democracy but as soon the hive was threatend, the potential attackers were overwhelmed.

Do what you want children but play nicely or you'll have to be punished.  The elite and the generals have absolutely no respect for the Thai people.

Its not difficult and its nowhere near as complicated as they make out - the reason the country has been in a state of constant political turmoil for decades is the elite's compulsion with controling the hive.

45 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know there are some people in the red villages who just don't care if their hero is a criminal.

Name one Thai PM/government for that matter that hasn't either been 'proven' to be criminals or been accused of the same in the last 20 years or so.

47 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who gave the order to kill all the people who were never convicted? 

Sideshows. They care about nothing other than honey.  Learn about how many redshirts have 'disappeared' in the last few years.  A few were found a couple of years back, at the bottom of a river covered in some strange stuff that looked like concrete - and who's been on point since 2014?

They are all the same but one group has much bigger guns - you don't really think all the political nonsense that's gone on matters do you? 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The obvious problem with your question is how one finds enough honest knowledgeable people who are willing to go into politics.

I am sure there would be a lot more such people if the honest people would be assured that the masses will prefer them. A good example was Abhisit. Smart, educated, honest. And how many people voted for him?