Vietnam Trip For 1 Month.......Recommendations?

Troy Tempest

Dear All,

I have a friend who lives in HCMC or as he and his VN wife still call it "Saigon"......She is from the South.

He has done some travelling and indeed at this moment is in Quy Nhon, but VN is so BIG and he is still working, that he has only been to a few destinations outside Saigon.

Quy Nhon .....Beach paradise, but I live on Samui and don't need that.

I am asking please for your recommendations from your visits to anywhere you have been that you Really Liked in Vietnam?

I have already seen loads of YouTube stuff about the usual tourist venues such as HCMC, Vung Tau, Nha Trang, Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, etc., but I am looking for more off the "Beaten Tracks"experience.

Obviously, I will be travelling with Marina so please....No Dumb Answers!...It gets on yer T!Ts after a while! :thumbsup:

Love Troy and Marina xxx ????

image.jpeg.e51c11cbdd1349d01c5331c4037090f5.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Dalat in the mountains has a temperate climate, IIRC it's a magnet for birdwatchers ( feathered variety ).

The water puppet show in Hanoi is well worth seeing.

Thanks Lacessit......Souds Great!......Like I said, we are looking for unusal stuff away from the Sheep! :thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Dalat in the mountains has a temperate climate, IIRC it's a magnet for birdwatchers ( feathered variety ).

The water puppet show in Hanoi is well worth seeing.

The water puppet show is a must do. Unique.

A car in the cities will be a challenge.

Good luck.

Hanoi is my favourite break away from Thailand.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Best a driver too! 

I appreciate your comment I have been warned that VN driving is even worse than Thai Driving.....I know that is hard to "Fathom", but I have been driving in Thailand since 2006.....I like a challenge and so maybe it would be another stepup?

But, I also know that whilst it is CRAZY in the Cities, once you get out it is only about as bad as Thailand! :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

The water puppet show is a must do. Unique.

A car in the cities will be a challenge.

Good luck.

Hanoi is my favourite break away from Thailand.

Thanks Mate...I do not plan to drive through many cities, but will need to get a car in Saigon and then I only need to get out.......

Planning on the first 3 days in Saigon.....Then Pick up a car at the Airport and down to Vung Tau....After that looking for suggestions.

7 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ha   just came to post this as i volunteered for 6 weeks there--Bai xep actually but would go hang out in QN...had the whole beach to myself ........

Thanks!...My mate has sent me some pics....Looks GREAT! :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Halong Bay junk boat trip was the most memorable for me

Thanks Scuba, but from what I have heard it is massively overcrowded and the Cruises are Massively Over Priced?

Did you get a good deal?

3 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks!...My mate has sent me some pics....Looks GREAT! :thumbsup:

I was at a GH called Haven...secluded beach in a village..next door was a 5 star resort

got best of both worlds   mountains and beach....cute gals who wanted to practice english and bahn mi's!!!!!!     

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks Scuba, but from what I have heard it is massively overcrowded and the Cruises are Massively Over Priced?

Did you get a good deal?

i would agree on the crowds....not my scene...i was def hanging with the locals and only white face in Quy nhon-bai xep

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks Mate...I do not plan to drive through many cities, but will need to get a car in Saigon and then I only need to get out.......

Planning on the first 3 days in Saigon.....Then Pick up a car at the Airport and down to Vung Tau....After that looking for suggestions.

i took the sleeper train from saigon....4 beds in a car..def an adventure!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

Dear All,

I have a friend who lives in HCMC or as he and his VN wife still call it "Saigon"......She is from the South.

He has done some travelling and indeed at this moment is in Quy Nhon, but VN is so BIG and he is still working, that he has only been to a few destinations outside Saigon.

I am asking please for your recommendations from your visits to anywhere you have been that you Really Liked in Vietnam?

I have already seen loads of YouTube stuff about the usual tourist venues such as HCMC, Vung Tau, Nha Trang, Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, etc., but I am looking for more off the "Beaten Tracks"experience.

Obviously, I will be travelling with Marina so please....No Dumb Answers!...It gets on yer T!Ts after a while! :thumbsup:

Thunderbirds are GO!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

SAPA in the North..can go by train from Hanoi (or drive). Great area--beautiful scenery.

HOI AN is lovely and agree with other posters on DALAT...and good roads around that area for driving.

I also enjoyed HUEThe lake area (old town) in HANOI is excellent for walking around, and small quaint hotels to stay at.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I was at a GH called Haven...secluded beach in a village..next door was a 5 star resort

got best of both worlds   mountains and beach....cute gals who wanted to practice english and bahn mi's!!!!!!     

Thanks...Maybe I'll leave Marina on her "Sea Bed" for this trip? :thumbsup:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Did you get a good deal?

When i went wasn't too bad a price and wasn't over crowded so depends i guess, time of year etc. If it's too expensive don't go

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

SAPA in the North..can go by train from Hanoi (or drive). Great area--beautiful scenery.

HOI AN is lovely and agree with other posters on DALAT...and good roads around that area for driving.

I also enjoyed HUEThe lake area (old town) in HANOI is excellent for walking around, and small quaint hotels to stay at.

Thanks CP...Exactly the type of info I was looking for! :jap:

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

When i went wasn't too bad a price and wasn't over crowded so depends i guess, time of year etc. If it's too expensive don't go

Not really worried about the price, but from the YouTube vids I have seen it looks like what should be a paradise ruined by Tourism!

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't forget, you are part of the tourism

Oh Yeah! .....But, I have learned to put up with myself ....Well most of the time anyway.

At least I know who is "Pulling the Strings"!

image.jpeg.dcc64184bbad73e843843e6f54a1d228.jpeg

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, biervoormij said:

I only did the tourist trail in Vietnam but the one place I visited that no one has talked about is Ninh Binh.  Hope you have a great trip and please update us when you return on what you found to be the highlights.

Wow!.....Thank you so much....I had a look at Ninh Binh images....I will go there Deffo!

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sca_esv=562326839&q=ninh+ninh&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijyMe5qo6BAxV13AIHHQ4uC0wQ0pQJegQIDhAB&biw=1280&bih=539&dpr=1.5

image.jpeg.0a39aca1ee013ff9315cf2f8f2524c7c.jpeg

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Dear All,

Saigon to DaNang to Hue - Imperial Palace. Have a beer and feed at the DMZ bar would suggest Dalat and Pleiku if you can and just work your way round to Hanoi , Halong bay. Lao Cai / Sapa see the mountains and rice terraces.

Eat local foods all good. Enjoy and remember what side of the road you should legally be on - but locals may not, as per here watch out for unlit vehicles at night.

Enjoy 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1