What is the deal with all the skin lasers shops around Bangkok

DonniePeverley

Everywhere i go, you can't help but see all these skin laser shops, with the promise of beauty.

Anyone had some treatment with these? They have many different lasers, some that reduce wrinkles, some that clear acne, some that brighten your face, etc

Now these lasers aren't like many of the lasers in the UK where they remove the top layer of skin (ablative). Instead the lasers here in Thailand are the 'heating up' type, and you return to work pretty much straight away. 

Anyone with some info, tried out?

• Like 1

My son has had  bad acne for the last three years. His Doctor says the worst of it is almost over but no treatment can be done until the acne ceases. There is considerable scarring which his Doctor says can be remedied  with Lazer treatment.I have not ( yet) asked for the details. From what I have gleaned on the net the type of Lazer used depends on the kind of scars. I would strongly recommend going through a hospital for this treatment or asking the hospital to recommend a clinic. Many clinics can do the treatment but using the wrong one can be disastrous there being many unqualified " Doctors" offering their services from bright shiny attractive clinics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just another manifestation of Asian / Mongoloid self-hatred. Lots of them wish they were White and hate themselves for having brown skin and dark beady eyes.

That's why skin-whitening and contact lenses that change your eye color are so popular. It's not brainwashing from the west about beauty standards, they objectively think white skin and colorful eyes are more attractive.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

There are many many types of lasers used for different types of treatments, depending upon what ails you. I have had dozens of moles removed and occasional skin tightening treatments. But most impressively, I had red patches on my neck treated and gone. That took many visits and a lot of money. No regrets.

Agree there are way too many laser clinics. Business must be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Magic promises in advertising

After single promo purchaed...Pre laser consultation hard sell. If you don't buy a package they tell you after the fact pre-treatment on the day the laser will do nothing.

During appointment they dial back the laser and run it over your face. You'll leave with a warm feeling and no results. They don't burn up the laser for promo price and no package.

Wife has light spot of melasma. Two cheap promos just a scam.

Same with hair removal. All sorts of promises but in the end waxing is better, cheaper and faster

Edited by Jelli
  • Like 1

Laser can be ok provided in the hands of a qualified operator. And that's where the "fun" starts with these streetfront "clinics".

As for scars, wharts, molds on the face, nothing that a good dose of azote based on the long used cryotherapy by current dermatologists. Lasers if possible to avoid, should be the last alternative....

But why do they pop-up all over ?

Simple as there is a demand obviously. 

Why ?

Modern vanity conveyed with excessive peeping on social media, excessive self- consciousness of image ?  seeking to hide some aspects of nature due to age ? God knows why one would risk such laser exposure...

• 2 weeks later...

Many Thai women have become obsessed with cosmetic surgery, and laser treatments. Some of them are gorgeous, but they do not know it. And they want a bigger nose, and this and that. Best to ask a women how she feels about this kind of thing on a 1st or 2nd date here!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And they want a bigger nose, and this and that. 

Thai women don't want a bigger nose. From experience they look for an implant to make the bridge bigger (the top boney part of your nose), and then reduce the size of the tip to make it smaller. 

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Thai women don't want a bigger nose. From experience they look for an implant to make the bridge bigger (the top boney part of your nose), and then reduce the size of the tip to make it smaller. 

They want a 'farang' nose, get the implant and sculpting as described and thus they get a bigger nose.

From experience, a lot also desire a pointy chin to get away from the Asiatic 'moon' face which requires another implant.

On 9/5/2023 at 6:01 PM, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Just another manifestation of Asian / Mongoloid self-hatred. Lots of them wish they were White and hate themselves for having brown skin and dark beady eyes.

So, the millions of Tanning clinics all around the "White world" are a manifestation  ...of.......

Sometimes "Your" self hatred of Thai people gets in the way of making even a sensible comment to a post.......................:coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Most I have met want a bigger nose, that is narrower. I explain that in the US many women have the size of their huge noses reduced. They look at me like I am from Mars.

• 3 months later...

Don't know about the beauty aspect; skin, moles, whitening, tats.   Daughter had hair removal done, and loved it.  No more shaving, legs mainly, as she has a bit more testosterone than most I guess.   Considering the state and expense of razors here, more than paid for itself.

Lasers are very expensive and results inconclusive. They also can damage skin. Many physicians say they don't work well, at all and yes - can damage skin. Usually, treatments are ongoing so perpetual money spinner for doctors.

I think Thai women here in Bangkok look great and just marvel at all the beauties about town. I pay for clinic for my wife and now on a program to rejuvenate myself.

• 3 weeks later...

It is easy money for these "doctors". But I need to ask the question if they have a P.H.D. in dermatology or not . I honestly don't know.

My brother is a well known surgeon in orthopedics. He sews fingers back together and reconnects nerves etc. under microscope. When I asked him if he likes it, he replied, "No, half the people don't pay and it goes to Collections. I wish I did cosmetic surgery. Cash up front."