Too Much Time On Your Hands? Why Not RE-LEARN Physics?

GammaGlobulin

My Dear Phellow Physics Phriends:

This is NOT a JOKE Post!

Here, instead, I am posing a serious question.

It’s not really a question, but more of an encouraging word from me, just a word which I hope might goad you into picking up your dusty slide rules and hitting the books, all with the FREE help from MIT.

I can hear you saying that you are TOO OLD to learn any new tricks.

However, this negative thinking and backsliding-perspective is completely false.

I happen to know that there are many, MANY people here who once took physics in high school, or college, or TRIED to take Physics in either, or both.

Now that you are retired, or nearing retirement, or even if you have a couple of hours after a hard-day’s work, in the evenings, MIT OpenCourseWare offerings might be just the thing to restore whatever it is that you fear you might be missing in your life.

As for me, I DO Plan to begin covering two semesters of uni Physics at MIT. A couple of years ago, I completed a great two-semester course at YALE taught by a prof who is at the forefront of his field, Prof Wyman and his “Global Problems of Population Growth”.

Wyman’s course is very insightful, but nothing challenging, really.

This time, I will do a review course in first-year Physics, simply because, after many decades, I realize that now my mind has been filling up with cobwebs during the past few years in Wonderland. And in Wonderland, Physics is fairly unimportant, or just Go Ask Alice, when she is feeling small.

Why do this?

a. This past week on TV, two Fantastic Topics have been posted involving basic understanding of Physics. And, in the reading of the Topics, and in the comments section, I detected some lack of understanding about the importance of Physics in our modern world.

b. But really, I am the BIGGEST CULPRIT when it comes to forgetting my Physics.

c. However, it is much MORE than this. Our brains MUST BE Challenged if we are to feel like Whole Human Beings. Therefore, what greater challenge than trying to re-study first year Classical Mechanics, and also trying to do this with kids who are only 18, or maybe 19, some of them.

I hope a few of you will consider this challenge because, for those who take up the gauntlet, many priceless rewards await you, and these are prizes that money just cannot buy.

Before I go on to the MIT Physics Courseware link, let me just add the "Global Problems of Population Growth" link…

One moment please…

And now on to MIT Physics (first semester, Physics One, and this is the EASY Physics course at MIT, not the one for the Physics geniuses at MIT):

Concerning both courses linked above, they are both SUPER interesting, and you are gonna learn a lot.

Personally, I am sick and tired of being embarrassed on this forum due to all the Physics I have forgotten in over 50 years of living since my last Physics course.

Please keep in mind, however, that if you really want to benefit from the MIT course, you are going to need to FORCE yourself to do the homework, which I think you can find on the MIT website (It's there. The exercises, the readings, all of the good stuff is there.)

Is this doable for some Old Guy, like me?

It is.

And there are no time limits.

Go at your own pace, and complete the courses.

You guys are really going to thank me for posting this Topic;

I know it!

Wishing you a brighter and more intelligent tomorrow, through better Physics, and,

Regards,

Gamma

(Gamma with the BIG G!, for Gravity)

Please Note:  When I was MUCH younger, I actually knew a few old guys who re-learned/learned Physics, and they were successful.

Physics is a Natural Science that can provide new perspectives on the world, and on Reality, without resorting to the use of drugs.

So then, just click on the links and do your best to train your brain..

If, that is, you, too, feel that you have too much time on your hands.

Prof Wyman’s course is DYNAMITE and you will enjoy every moment of it…

Guaranteed

You can find the COURSEWORK on the Uni Websites for each of the above courses, and so don't miss out!

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Which are those two threads?

I think I know one of them :whistling:

Threads? or Links?

Links to the Global Problems of Population Growth, Yale, course:

image.png.bc6490188bf587d958d98f7bed282054.png

Can be found here...

https://online.yale.edu/courses/global-problems-population-growth

And links to the Classical Mechanics MIT course:

image.png.7c5bbcbea9df3d06b9c9bdd093ce9354.png

Can be found here...

https://mitocw.ups.edu.ec/courses/physics/8-01sc-classical-mechanics-fall-2016/

You can choose other versions of the "Easy" MIT Physics courses which are not so easy at the one I linked in the OP, which is probably for non-Physics majors.

And so, if you want the "Real Deal", then choose one of the following courses, instead:

image.png.4c366442b4f5485d1d19e123d8e79e5a.png

https://mitocw.ups.edu.ec/courses/physics/

And, of course, the list goes on...

(By the way, the lecturer of the course I listed in the OP is a great teacher, very dynamic, and the young kids seem to love him. He's quite entertaining. Also, he is amazing at drawing dotted lines, something which is worth the watch of his videos, just in itself.)

Hope you enjoy the Population lectures, because they are unique, and many universities would not offer a lecture series of this type, in this day and age.

• Love It 1

Yes, relearning science, or even learning it for the first time if you never did before, is a nice way to keep those brain cells in shape. I regret not doing it as intensely as I used to owing to learning Thai guzzling so much of my free time. I try to practice Thai listening using science courses so as to kill two birds with one stone. Suitable vids are not easy to find as most have disturbing background music.

16 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I don't want to learn new tricks. 

I want to have a moan followed by a good sleep. 

I think you might surprise yourself if you picked up a good Physics book at bedtime.

You might just find that you are unable to put it down, and read late into the night.

• Love It 1

19 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Yes, relearning science, or even learning it for the first time if you never did before, is a nice way to keep those brain cells in shape. I regret not doing it as intensely as I used to owing to learning Thai guzzling so much of my free time. I try to practice Thai listening using science courses so as to kill two birds with one stone. Suitable vids are not easy to find as most have disturbing background music.

Fine!

But, have you seen this formula for calculating IMPOTENCE?

image.png.da60f6f43acaab61d63aa90e1cb5042d.png

The music on these videos is distracting, too.

• Love It 1