India changing its name ? India or Bharat? G20 invitations throw up question dating back centuries

Social Media

2 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

You think India RECEIVES foreign aid? India GIVES foreign aid, just google the figures. To Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Maldives. You're living in the previous century, buddy!

£33.4 million in 2022/2023, due to rise to £57 million in 2024/2025.

British government figures.

Buddy.

Edited by herfiehandbag

India is a great country but they have a perfectly good name.

I didn't mind the change from Turkey to Turkiye as that made sense. Too many bird jokes.

How about India (no pow-wow) Sorry for the cringe. 

On 1/25/2024 at 12:37 PM, Jingthing said:

India is a great country but they have a perfectly good name.

I didn't mind the change from Turkey to Turkiye as that made sense. Too many bird jokes.

How about India (no pow-wow) Sorry for the cringe. 

There IS no name change. It's been called Bharat (in Hindi and Sanskrit) for centuries. The passport says on top, in Hindi, "Bharat Ganrajya" (means republic) and below, in English, it says "Republic of India". Ask a German, does he call his country Germany, or Deutschland? Ask an Egyptian, does he call his country Egypt, or Masr? Innumerable examples like this. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

There IS no name change. It's been called Bharat (in Hindi and Sanskrit) for centuries. The passport says on top, in Hindi, "Bharat Ganrajya" (means republic) and below, in English, it says "Republic of India". Ask a German, does he call his country Germany, or Deutschland? Ask an Egyptian, does he call his country Egypt, or Masr? Innumerable examples like this. 

-- I didn't say there was a name change.

-- The article is about chatter that India may make Bharat the OFFICIAL name internationally, dropping India. (Like Burma to Myanmar.) 

-- Of course I am well aware that internationally used names are often different than local ones. --- Germany for example if they wanted to could push use of Deutschland internationally. But they don't. 

-- Perhaps just perhaps India will be doing that with Bharat

-- Personally I hope they don't, but that's up to them of course.

-- As far as Thailand for example, I wish they had kept Siam as it sounds much cooler, but I understand there were political reasons for the change, so again, their choice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

If India today was still a British Empire country, would the people of India be better off ?
What about Hong Kong ? Would Hong Kong be better off today, if it was still a British Empire place ?

But the important one is, is America. In my opinion, the Americans today would be better off if they had of kept on being part of Britain.

Nah, you just want EVERYONE to be part of the Empire of China.

On 9/9/2023 at 9:40 AM, BritManToo said:

Time the UK stopped giving them foreign aid then.

Or maybe they should be proud enough to refuse it (fat chance)!

India doesn't want "aid" from the U.K and India has asked the U.K to stop sending so called aid .

Its thing like money to build hospitals and the condition that the hospital buys all its supplies from the U.K company.

Its business deals and not rally aid 

India tells Britain: We don't want your aid

India’s Finance Minister has said that his country “does not require” British aid, describing it as “peanuts”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/9061844/India-tells-Britain-We-dont-want-your-aid.html

• Love It 1

On 1/28/2024 at 9:09 PM, tonbridgebrit said:

If India today was still a British Empire country, would the people of India be better off ?
What about Hong Kong ? Would Hong Kong be better off today, if it was still a British Empire place ?

But the important one is, is America. In my opinion, the Americans today would be better off if they had of kept on being part of Britain.

Dunno about Hong Kong or the US being better or worse off if they had stayed British colonies, but the rapacious plunder of India's wealth by the British colonizers has no parallel in history. 

Despite that, the ordinary Indian, as far as I can gauge, doesn't really bear any rancour towards the British. It's just part of history and so much water under the bridge. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:18 AM, zhounan said:

Actually they have problems more important than the name.

And that's exactly the reason why the current government is diverting attention from it by changing name and other nationalism-related  issues.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

Your country would be happy to have the kind of problems India has.

Wouldn't it be great if your nation, whichever it is, was the fastest growing major economy, and tipped to remain so for the next 3 years? Becoming the third largest economy after the US and China? 

This is going to be India's century, all going well, as far as my reding of various respected international journals goes. 

I am not particularly criticizing India. I am criticizing its government.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/30/2024 at 11:59 AM, candide said:

And that's exactly the reason why the current government is diverting attention from it by changing name and other nationalism-related  issues.

I think it's good that India is undergoing nationaism. The majority of the regressive stuff like homophobia and religious politics tend to come from the left-wing, whereas the right-wing tends to be focused on restoring native Indian culture. I think the country does need to be more aggressive against the Middle East and reassert itself. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

24 minutes ago, Arindos said:

I think it's good that India is undergoing nationaism. The majority of the regressive stuff like homophobia and religious politics tend to come from the left-wing, whereas the right-wing tends to be focused on restoring native Indian culture. I think the country does need to be mo:re aggressive against the Middle East and reassert itself. 

I don't remember India ever been non-nationalist. Maybe not enough?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, candide said:

I don't remember India ever been non-nationalist. Maybe not enough?

India has been ruled by the left-wing since independence until the 2000s, and it's only since around 2016 that the right wing has been in power. Virtually all of the British Indian institutions were transformed into tools for the left wing to rule as a single party.

In particular I hope that the right wing puts to end this silly craze of trying to improve relations with the Middle East. Build a wall along the border of Pakistan and watch the Middle East descend into chaos instead. India should have absolutely nothing to do with the Middle East and India needs to assert itself against those who wish to do so.

• Love It 1

20 minutes ago, Arindos said:

India has been ruled by the left-wing since independence until the 2000s, and it's only since around 2016 that the right wing has been in power. Virtually all of the British Indian institutions were transformed into tools for the left wing to rule as a single party.

In particular I hope that the right wing puts to end this silly craze of trying to improve relations with the Middle East. Build a wall along the border of Pakistan and watch the Middle East descend into chaos instead. India should have absolutely nothing to do with the Middle East and India needs to assert itself against those who wish to do so.

For an outsider like me, these relations seem to be beneficial for both India and the ME.  What's the negative side of it?

21 hours ago, candide said:

For an outsider like me, these relations seem to be beneficial for both India and the ME.  What's the negative side of it?

How are there any benefits? India wastes billions on buying oil from the Middle East, and most immigrant workers there are treated worse than dirt.

On 2/1/2024 at 3:46 PM, Arindos said:

I think it's good that India is undergoing nationaism. The majority of the regressive stuff like homophobia and religious politics tend to come from the left-wing, whereas the right-wing tends to be focused on restoring native Indian culture. I think the country does need to be more aggressive against the Middle East and reassert itself. 

Who championed the Ram Mandir thing?

Which states are more repressive when it comes to gays?

14 hours ago, Morch said:

Who championed the Ram Mandir thing?

Which states are more repressive when it comes to gays?

The Ram Mandir was a grassroots movement that began around the time the BJP was being formed.

I find that the left wing communities tend to be more homophobic than right wing communities, in part because most of the people who would be considered "progressive" in western countries are on the right wing in India. The left wing has more negative associations such as religion, corruption, caste, etc...

I'm not sure if a particular state is less homophobic than other states. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Arindos said:

The Ram Mandir was a grassroots movement that began around the time the BJP was being formed.

I find that the left wing communities tend to be more homophobic than right wing communities, in part because most of the people who would be considered "progressive" in western countries are on the right wing in India. The left wing has more negative associations such as religion, corruption, caste, etc...

I'm not sure if a particular state is less homophobic than other states. 

Spin it as much as you like, the Ram Mandir is not a left-wing thing. Grassroots is a cute word. RSS, Shiv Sena....not lefties.

Your comment on Homophobia doesn't really say much, nor supports your previous comment, just repeats it.

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

Spin it as much as you like, the Ram Mandir is not a left-wing thing. Grassroots is a cute word. RSS, Shiv Sena....not lefties.

Your comment on Homophobia doesn't really say much, nor supports your previous comment, just repeats it.

I never said the Ram Mandir was a left wing thing. I support it.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Arindos said:

I never said the Ram Mandir was a left wing thing. I support it.

Here's what you posted:

he majority of the regressive stuff like homophobia and religious politics tend to come from the left-wing, whereas the right-wing tends to be focused on restoring native Indian culture.

Attempts to spin the Ram Mandir issue as not being 'religious' or as coming from the 'left-wing' would be interesting to watch.

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

Here's what you posted:

Attempts to spin the Ram Mandir issue as not being 'religious' or as coming from the 'left-wing' would be interesting to watch.

How? It's the left wing that's harping on about the "rights" of religious minorities (i.e. Muslims). The Ram Mandir is just Non-Muslim Indian culture.

• Confused 1

Just now, Arindos said:

How? It's the left wing that's harping on about the "rights" of religious minorities (i.e. Muslims). The Ram Mandir is just Non-Muslim Indian culture.

Oh, I see.

It's only 'religious' when they do it.

Gotcha.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arindos said:

So you're saying that Muslims aren't religion but an ethnicity and culture?

I obviously have not said anything of the sort.

Any other lame deflection attempts?