Local Facebook buy/sell groups?

ed79

Hi All, I've listed a couple of items I'm trying to sell second hand in Pattaya on facebook Marketplace.  So far I've had plenty of enquires but they've 95% been tyre kickers.

When I was in Chiang Mai I was able to sell a couple of things through local buy/sell/swap type English speaking FB groups. Does anyone know any similar groups I could try posting to in this area (Pattaya)?

Currently 100% of the enquiries I've had from Thais on Marketplace have been time wasters.

Marketplace can be a rather frustrating place , i was selling one of my condos in bkk 2 bed 1 bathroom for 1750000 baht ,had 1100 clicks and maybe 200 messages 100% asked for discounts without even wanting to view it , i took the ad down and relisted 3 months later for 2250000 thinking it would eliminate the tyre kickers , it did somewhat . i showed it to a grand total of 3 ppl ,the 3rd of which asked for a discount which i said yes to ,reduced it by 50000 baht and sold for 2200000 . I couldnt believe it to be honest . Lesson learnt increase the price and someone might just take the bait .  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I have recently sold both a desktop Mac, a Macbook pro, and my gals PCX to Thais. Very pleasant folks. Straight, easy to deal with, and met when we were supposed to meet. For all the generalizations we see on here, there are alot of sincere, hard working, very decent Thais, also. I would say the vast majority.

Hey, hey, hey, that description of Thais doesn't fit the narrative of Thai bashing here on AN...555.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, greg71 said:

Marketplace can be a rather frustrating place , i was selling one of my condos in bkk 2 bed 1 bathroom for 1750000 baht ,had 1100 clicks and maybe 200 messages 100% asked for discounts without even wanting to view it , i took the ad down and relisted 3 months later for 2250000 thinking it would eliminate the tyre kickers , it did somewhat . i showed it to a grand total of 3 ppl ,the 3rd of which asked for a discount which i said yes to ,reduced it by 50000 baht and sold for 2200000 . I couldnt believe it to be honest . Lesson learnt increase the price and someone might just take the bait .  

People always want a discount for everything so always add the discount on and advertise it

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have recently sold both a desktop Mac, a Macbook pro, and my gals PCX to Thais. Very pleasant folks. Straight, easy to deal with, and met when we were supposed to meet. For all the generalizations we see on here, there are alot of sincere, hard working, very decent Thais, also. I would say the vast majority.

I've zero problem selling / replying to messages from Thais.  In fact as I type this I remember in 2017 I sold an electric Wok to a Thai guest house owner in Chiang Mai????.  He messaged, we arranged to meet and he collected all within about 2 hours.

HOWEVER:- In the past 12 months I've listed 5 items on FB marketplace (in CM and Pattaya).  I must have had 30+ messages from Thais, to which I always reply but 95%+ never respond.

Of my 5 listings, 3 have sold, 1 to a girl from UK, 1 to a Korean and 1 to a Russian.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, greg71 said:

Marketplace can be a rather frustrating place , i was selling one of my condos in bkk 2 bed 1 bathroom for 1750000 baht ,had 1100 clicks and maybe 200 messages 100% asked for discounts without even wanting to view it , i took the ad down and relisted 3 months later for 2250000 thinking it would eliminate the tyre kickers , it did somewhat . i showed it to a grand total of 3 ppl ,the 3rd of which asked for a discount which i said yes to ,reduced it by 50000 baht and sold for 2200000 . I couldn't believe it to be honest . Lesson learnt increase the price and someone might just take the bait .  

Thanks, luckily in my case I'm selling much lower value stuff - Desktop PC, TV etc. In England I just use eBay and the mix of messages from genuine buyers to time wasters/scammers is about 50/50. 

The Thais put crazy prices like 50 baht for things worth much more. When you enquire, knowing the initial price is too small,  they state a price 40 plus times what they listed. I just wonder what logic makes them think this is an effective marketing strategy. They think byvwasting peoples time they can get a sale. 

On 9/7/2023 at 4:36 PM, greg71 said:

Hey! It was me who bought it. I demand the balance between what I paid and the real price!!!

• Haha 1