The difficulty of avoiding sugar in Thailand.

Felton Jarvis

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yea ... at my age, if I don't know what's good or bad to eat by now, I don't think drastic changes would make much difference.

Most adjustments have simply come with age.  More about activity level & metabolism, and realizing, eating and drinking as much as I did up to 50 yrs old, just isn't going work in these later years.

TBH, very little has changed, some minor tweaks on types of, but most around volume of, overall, and moderation of the less healthy eating habits.

In the past, I'd eat half an apple pie, washed down with a liter of whole milk.  Now a slice with a Cappuccino. ????????

Hong Kong people eat a high meat and high salt diet. They live the longest. Im not sure about sugar but lots of people i know ate ice cream and apple pies and lived 86 to 96. I think a positive attitude helps more than anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cook for yourself ..easy

Order food that has little to know sugar. Easy.

If you truly want NO sugar and can't speak fluent Thai please no tears when it comes as something else or with lots of sugar.

If such a concern why are you here? Really. I've wondered constantly about all the sickly or obese *vegetarians* I see about. Why? Go home, get your special food so important to you.

30 years ago you couldn't trust the lettuce or anything that could not be peeled.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jelli said:

Cook for yourself ..easy

Order food that has little to know sugar. Easy.

If you truly want NO sugar and can't speak fluent Thai please no tears when it comes as something else or with lots of sugar.

If such a concern why are you here? Really. I've wondered constantly about all the sickly or obese *vegetarians* I see about. Why? Go home, get your special food so important to you.

30 years ago you couldn't trust the lettuce or anything that could not be peeled.

Says "Jelli", I liked jelly as a kid, all wobbly and fruity, are you all wobbly and fruity....................????

On 9/8/2023 at 3:35 AM, KhunBENQ said:

After years I did another attempt to find unsweetened condensed milk. Gave up.

Sweetened, sweetened AND mixed with palm oil (another "healthy" highlight) or completely from palm oil (faking).

So I remain tied to coffee mate. Made of:

palm oil ☹️

Unsweetened condensed milk is called evaporated milk.

https://www.lotuss.com/en/product/carnation-milk-product-for-cooking-and-bakery-405g-x-6pcs-72570911

Edited by mrfill

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Says "Jelli", I liked jelly as a kid, all wobbly and fruity, are you all wobbly and fruity....................????

Sorry to disappoint you but no. You'll have to go find one of those on Grindr. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

The comments to my post on sugar amounted to :  “if you don’t like the food and don’t speak the language….GO HOME!!!”    What an enlightened crew of cranks.

Welcome aboard.......................:clap2:

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

The condensed (or evaporated) milk is all jammed together on the shelves. The labels are very similar.  I always read the label carefully to make sure I am getting regular condensed milk and not

sweetened milk.

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Reading comprehension of my post would avoid you asking for research.  Obviously many, most don't read or watch what I link, and I'm not going to waste time repeating myself.

Re-read what I've posted slowly & carefully, as I don't think I need to add any more to be understood.

I'll do me, which seems to work just fine, you do you ... ENJOY

When I read absolute tosh, like white sugar and brown sugar are healthier, I doubt that has any research backing it up. Nice try at being patronizing, though.

Irrespective of your genetic makeup, I doubt you'll make it from 69 to 80 without developing Type 2 diabetes.

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Reading comprehension of my post would avoid you asking for research.  Obviously many, most don't read or watch what I link, and I'm not going to waste time repeating myself.

Re-read what I've posted slowly & carefully, as I don't think I need to add any more to be understood.

I'll do me, which seems to work just fine, you do you ... ENJOY

When I read absolute tosh, like white sugar and brown sugar are healthier, I doubt that has any research backing it up. Nice try at being patronizing, though.

Irrespective of your genetic makeup, I doubt you'll make it from 69 to 80 without developing Type 2 diabetes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Am I suppose to list every website and or vid I watched about sugar ?

Over my adult lifetime.  Did I read a study, research paper ... NO, as those results end up satisfying the folks that funded the research.

Then someone will fund another research study a year later, and counter the previous one.  We've all seen that over & over.

I did post a most informative vid about sugar, and if anyone watched that, that pretty much explains most things.  I even noted many would probably want to skip through to the more pertinent stuff that might interest them. 

Explains all types of sugars and how used, and with that info, you can make an informed decision to eat, or not. 

If watched ... Explains why I pretty much stick to good ol' white table sugar.  Most foods we eat are home cooked from scratch, so we get to control all the ingredients.  

'L' follows (trolls) me enough to know that.  

So you can't even give us a link to your 'most informative vid about sugar'. Doesn't sound like a scientific approach. I suggest: people that are addicted to sugar will avidly go through Google until they find stuff that confirms their reluctance to give it up. I do watch a lot of Youtube stuff but I would say that at least half of it is clickbait and unless it is a serious discussion of a recent research paper I don't bother. You must have worked quite assiduously to find a vid that claimed that sugar is good for you.

On 9/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, Felton Jarvis said:

I am pre-diabetic and try to completely avoid sugar in my diet. Restaurants here in Pattaya make that difficult.

One high-profile Norwegian restaurant uses sweetened condensed milk in their scrambled eggs. Another popular 

restaurant, owned by an Australian, sprinkles sugar on French Fries. You can’t reason with them because they deny

using sugar in their recipes. Has anyone else noticed this???

I stopped using a local pizza shop as there was sugar sprinkled on my margarita. Thais use sugar in most of their cooking so no wounder they have such a diabetes problem. My wife is the only person in her family over 40 that does not have diabetes and it killed her father at just 73 years old.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, cooked said:

So you can't even give us a link to your 'most informative vid about sugar'. Doesn't sound like a scientific approach. I suggest: people that are addicted to sugar will avidly go through Google until they find stuff that confirms their reluctance to give it up. I do watch a lot of Youtube stuff but I would say that at least half of it is clickbait and unless it is a serious discussion of a recent research paper I don't bother. You must have worked quite assiduously to find a vid that claimed that sugar is good for you.

Once again, reading comprehension goes a long way.  Pretty sure I never said sugar was good for you, just there are healthier versions, if you actually know what the different versions are & how they are utilized in processed food.

You should actually read the post you are replying to:

"I did post a most informative vid about sugar, and if anyone watched that, that pretty much explains most things.  I even noted many would probably want to skip through to the more pertinent stuff that might interest them. "

Sugars obviously affect different people differently, along with the type and amount consumed, and what you do after eating it.  Linked to obesity, as is everything, if you don't burn it off.

I'm guessing the amount of sugar I eat is far less than what most people consume.  One soft drink, depending which, and a person has probably consumed more sugar that I would in a week.

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Never seen a sugar shaker/dispenser on the table in LOS, in my own country, yes........:stoner:

Thought that was a bit silly myself.   Look at any red tomato sauce/pasta/pizza sauce recipe, and you'll probably see sugar added, to counter the acidity of tomatoes.  How much of course, depends on the vendor.

Same with sugar in dough, and unless a silly amount, the yeast is consuming a good portion if not all of that.

Damn headline reader are nothing but uninformed echo boxes.  Apparently many folks, after leaving mommy never cooked for themselves, and surely never worked in restaurant or a bakery, as I have.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Never seen a sugar shaker/dispenser on the table in LOS, in my own country, yes........:stoner:

Actually I have seen them in every shop that sold noodle soup. It's something they do automatically, even without tasting the soup. This I have noticed many times with many people. The US has a huge obesity rate, far beyond what happens here, But, it's been getting worse here and will only continue until Thailand catches up to western countries. It's the influx of sugar drinks and snacks. Most here don't know a thing about nutrition, so they, like the US, give their kids snacks to calm them, shut them up, or bribe them. Sugar is added to so many things these days, you have to be a label reader, as i started doing when I started working out at 17. I eat it, because it's in almost all spaghetti sauces, and i love pasta. It's in salad dressings, so those I try and avoid, sticking to the oil and vinegar ones. I never drank sugar sodas past age 17, so stayed away from empty calories, which sugar is, as much as possible.

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Actually I have seen them in every shop that sold noodle soup. It's something they do automatically, even without tasting the soup. This I have noticed many times with many people. The US has a huge obesity rate, far beyond what happens here, But, it's been getting worse here and will only continue until Thailand catches up to western countries. It's the influx of sugar drinks and snacks. Most here don't know a thing about nutrition, so they, like the US, give their kids snacks to calm them, shut them up, or bribe them. Sugar is added to so many things these days, you have to be a label reader, as i started doing when I started working out at 17. I eat it, because it's in almost all spaghetti sauces, and i love pasta. It's in salad dressings, so those I try and avoid, sticking to the oil and vinegar ones. I never drank sugar sodas past age 17, so stayed away from empty calories, which sugar is, as much as possible.......................... Accidental repost.

Edited by fredwiggy

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually I have seen them in every shop that sold noodle soup. It's something they do automatically, even without tasting the soup. This I have noticed many times with many people. The US has a huge obesity rate, far beyond what happens here, But, it's been getting worse here and will only continue until Thailand catches up to western countries. It's the influx of sugar drinks and snacks. Most here don't know a thing about nutrition, so they, like the US, give their kids snacks to calm them, shut them up, or bribe them. Sugar is added to so many things these days, you have to be a label reader, as i started doing when I started working out at 17. I eat it, because it's in almost all spaghetti sauces, and i love pasta. It's in salad dressings, so those I try and avoid, sticking to the oil and vinegar ones. I never drank sugar sodas past age 17, so stayed away from empty calories, which sugar is, as much as possible.......................... Accidental repost.

Disagree,

Sugar doesn't make people fat, not exercising makes people fat.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

But why would what folk want to eat affect you, or anyone else for that matter.

Us humans do not have an expiry date stamped on our forehead at birth.

Us humans even do very risky jobs that they accept.

Us humans can eat what we like until we expire.

All, nothing to do with anybody else.......:clap2:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

so stayed away from empty calories, which sugar is, as much as possible.

That depends on what sugar or sweetener is used.  Natural sugar still retains it's nutritional value, and honey, and maple syrup can be quite healthy for you, or so I read.

Stevia, probably the healthier of all, but I'm not a fan.  You also have:

Coconut

Raw

Agava

Brown

White

Just the OTC ones, most home cooks use.  Didn't even get into the ones, not so healthy, that processors use, besides the ones listed above.

Edited by KhunLA

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Disagree,

Sugar doesn't make people fat, not exercising makes people fat.

No, it's 75% diet and 25% exercise. I've trained over 50 years, and been a personal trainer in gyms for almost 20. Studied nutrition from age 17 until now. You can eat lean, and stay lean, with little to no exercise. of course weight training, which is the best, along with swimming, will put on muscle, and having more muscle means your body is more efficient. Exercising, with the exception of downhill skiing, burns little calories, compared to what you eat. There was an aerobic instructor that taught at one of the gyms I worked at, that was very thick, meaning a lot of bodyfat. She taught at least 3 classes daily, but her diet wasn't good. Excess calories of any source will be stored. Sugar, empty calories, causes a rapid rise in blood sugar, and if you don't burn off carbohydrates, they get stored as bodyfat.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1