The difficulty of avoiding sugar in Thailand.

Felton Jarvis

On 9/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, Felton Jarvis said:

I am pre-diabetic and try to completely avoid sugar in my diet. Restaurants here in Pattaya make that difficult.

One high-profile Norwegian restaurant uses sweetened condensed milk in their scrambled eggs. Another popular 

restaurant, owned by an Australian, sprinkles sugar on French Fries. You can’t reason with them because they deny

using sugar in their recipes. Has anyone else noticed this???

It is as easy to avoid sugar here as anywhere else. Beef steaks are not covered in sugar, neither are plain chicken or pork dishes.  You can ask for  no sugar in your drinks , or just cook and eat at home.  I have no problem avoiding sugar here.  

2 hours ago, JackGats said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which are the "fake" yoghurts and how could you know how they are made?

Difficult to tell since they are so overloaded with sugar you cannot taste any real yoghurt (slightly bitter) aftertaste.

Ok, thought so, you are not aware of the existence of any "fake yoghurts".

16 hours ago, transam said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which are the "fake" yoghurts and how could you know how they are made?

I would be interested in being pointed out which yogurts are fake, too........:huh:

Turns out that there aren't any, well, at least, he's now confirmed that he is not aware of any!  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2023 at 9:35 AM, KhunBENQ said:

After years I did another attempt to find unsweetened condensed milk. Gave up.

Sweetened, sweetened AND mixed with palm oil (another "healthy" highlight) or completely from palm oil (faking).

So I remain tied to coffee mate. Made of:

palm oil ☹️

Falcon brand makes unsweetened condensed milk. I am a fully “ ripe” diabetic and use Ship brand creamer in my one allowed cup of coffee per day along with a little stevia for sweetness. One tablespoon of creamer would not contain enough sugar to be detrimental unless consuming many other “no nos””

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Natural sugars in dairy. 

The fermentation process for yogurt making substantially reduces the amount of lactose, your “ natural sugar”, in the final product, enough so that most lactose intolerant people can safely use it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2023 at 12:17 PM, ezzra said:

I have recently discovered Monk fruit sugar (look it up) that is  monk fruit sugar is metabolised differently than regular sugar, you can reduce your caloric intake by using it. It doesn't affect blood sugar. Monk fruit sugar doesn't affect your blood sugar levels and can improve your hypoglycemic control. It's anti-inflammatory and can be bought locally and it's not expensive.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/what-to-know-about-monk-fruit-sugar#:~:text=Because monk fruit sugar is,It's anti-inflammatory.

Quote: "... can be bought locally and it's not expensive."  

I never heard of this.  It appears worth trying. Appreciate any other research or detail.

Can you advise where you buy it, brand name, etc..

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bignok said:

Buffet 92. Junk food whole life. 

Actually .. I apparently eat fairly healthy, now, relative to others.  Never was a deep fried food eater.  Olive & peanut oil when indulging.  Sugar wise, most eaten is good ol' white table sugar, or brown if cookies or brownies, and actually the best sugar, even low in calories, if one counts those.

I'd rather eat a beef or pork tenderloin, giving up a bit of fat flavor, for tenderness, so a leaner, healthier cut of meat.  Prefer seafood over land critters, sometime healthier.   All in moderation.

My weak area, since in TH, is veggies, so take a multi vit to supplement that.

Pre-TH, it was the amount of food I ate compared to now, that amazes me, looking back.   Still fairly healthy, though more dining out...a lot more.  But burned it off also working & playing hard.

Almost no alcohol, past 15 yrs, and apparently a major difference to most other expats, or so implied from reading forum.

Never was a buffet fan, though did my share of, and pigged out when did, so avoid, unless extreme quality, and luckily, that's rare or expensive.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sugar has been around for many decades, the West probably uses it more than LOS, yet the World's populous is living longer, so much so that pension ages have been increased in some..........????

Of course the Muesli munchers will go on about everything you shouldn't eat, with their boring carrot existence, but the fact remains, us humans are living longer.....????

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Reading comprehension of my post would avoid you asking for research.  Obviously many, most don't read or watch what I link, and I'm not going to waste time repeating myself.

Re-read what I've posted slowly & carefully, as I don't think I need to add any more to be understood.

I'll do me, which seems to work just fine, you do you ... ENJOY

Yes, agreed. But you said you had done research, let's see it.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Sugar has been around for many decades, the West probably uses it more than LOS, yet the World's populous is living longer, so much so that pension ages have been increased in some..........????

Of course the Muesli munchers will go on about everything you shouldn't eat, with their boring carrot existence, but the fact remains, us humans are living longer.....????

Living longer, but how? The last 10 years of your life spent in a wheelchair or in bed? Costing the health service a fortune.. My plan is to stay healthy until the day I die.. I don't est muesli either.

Edited by cooked
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

They say people have been living longer, but most of my pals died at around 60yo.

And the few survivors I know seems to agree with me.

The people I knew born around 1900 or before seemed to live a lot longer.

Seems to me to be more like a government conspiracy to stop paying pensions.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

I am not worried about a little sugar in the food. I do avoid milk, and MSG, so I ask them in Thai to leave them both out. Usually they are OK with that.

The low quality cooking oil is a bigger concern than the sugar. We use only rice bran oil at home. It is inexpensive and a very healthy choice. Soybean, cottonseed, and palm are toxic oils to cook with. Most use them. Canola is a step better. Olive or coconut are also healthy choices. 

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They say people have been living longer, but most of my pals died at around 60yo.

As this is a Thai related thread, here is a graph regarding my post, if you scroll down you can find your countries average death age too...????

People will die of all ages, always have, but the average age of death has near always been increasing..

49 minutes ago, cooked said:

Yes, agreed. But you said you had done research, let's see it.

Am I suppose to list every website and or vid I watched about sugar ?

Over my adult lifetime.  Did I read a study, research paper ... NO, as those results end up satisfying the folks that funded the research.

Then someone will fund another research study a year later, and counter the previous one.  We've all seen that over & over.

I did post a most informative vid about sugar, and if anyone watched that, that pretty much explains most things.  I even noted many would probably want to skip through to the more pertinent stuff that might interest them. 

Explains all types of sugars and how used, and with that info, you can make an informed decision to eat, or not. 

If watched ... Explains why I pretty much stick to good ol' white table sugar.  Most foods we eat are home cooked from scratch, so we get to control all the ingredients.  

'L' follows (trolls) me enough to know that.  

1 hour ago, cooked said:

Living longer, but how? The last 10 years of your life spent in a wheelchair or in bed? Costing the health service a fortune.. My plan is to stay healthy until the day I die.. I don't est muesli either.

I do not watch my sugar intake, though I do not like sweet food.

I also do not watch salt intake, though I don't like salty food, except chips.

My mum and dad were exactly the same as me, except they both liked their roast dinners, which I am not so keen on. In other words, mum and dad never worried about what they ate and lived till their late eighties.

At this time, not that far behind in age, I can do most things myself, even run if I want, perhaps spending my time doing weight training has helped, well my stature hasn't altered much, though I could lose a few pounds from my waistline, but overall, I feel fine, though tomorrow may be another story........????

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, transam said:

I do not watch my sugar intake ... I also do not watch salt intake ...

At this time ...

Yea ... at my age, if I don't know what's good or bad to eat by now, I don't think drastic changes would make much difference.

Most adjustments have simply come with age.  More about activity level & metabolism, and realizing, eating and drinking as much as I did up to 50 yrs old, just isn't going work in these later years.

TBH, very little has changed, some minor tweaks on types of, but most around volume of, overall, and moderation of the less healthy eating habits.

In the past, I'd eat half an apple pie, washed down with a liter of whole milk.  Now a slice with a Cappuccino. ????????

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So you know lots of unhealthy people. Probably drinkers and smokers who ate junk.

• Sad 1