The difficulty of avoiding sugar in Thailand.

Felton Jarvis

I don't think sugar is the demon ingredient it's made out to be.  Saying that, agree, sugar as an ingredient is way OTT at times here, and worldwide.

Really have to read the labels, and try to exercise moderation.  One of the reasons we avoid processed foods, and many restaurants.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

A major downside of living in Thailand. Sugar in everything, even in "salty" food (salt mixed with sugar and/or chillies for maximum addiction). Fake yogurts (milk of sorts, with a thickener and plenty of sugar). Meat skewers dabbed with sugar sauce.

Even breakfast buffets in good hotels seldom have sweeteners available (deemed too expensive I guess).

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cooked said:

Sugar is a lot worse than it's made out to be. You might want to do some research first, but of course if you are so addicted to it that  you can't imagine life without it, nothing will dissuade you from your unscientific opinion.

I came to my opinion, because of my research.  

Believe what you want, but sweets & pastry have been a mainstay of my diet, forever, and still no ill effects, coming up on 69 years.  

Though never a sugary soda pop drinker, or alky, so avoid most of the sugar others consume, along with avoiding overly processed food.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, still kicking said:

My nephew sprinkles salt on strawberries.

In the past, never understood the salt on fruits, but now know the science of it, and it does seem to make sense.  Though i still don't do, myself.  Surely it's added to my Thai Spicy Fruit Salad, and a favorite of mine here/TH.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I am pre-diabetic and try to completely avoid sugar in my diet. Restaurants here in Pattaya make that difficult.

One high-profile Norwegian restaurant uses sweetened condensed milk in their scrambled eggs. Another popular 

restaurant, owned by an Australian, sprinkles sugar on French Fries. You can’t reason with them because they deny

using sugar in their recipes. Has anyone else noticed this???

I think you need to change your class of restaurants. Sure, the scrambled eggs, are quite common to be made with sweetened condensed milk in Thailand. Only the better hotel breakfasts and higher class or more expensive restaurants will use the right stuff.

But, the french fries??? I just wonder how low you have to go to find a place where they sprinkle sugar on them? I know that they are sometimes not using salt, but never senn any sugar on french fries.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I am pre-diabetic and try to completely avoid sugar in my diet. Restaurants here in Pattaya make that difficult.

One high-profile Norwegian restaurant uses sweetened condensed milk in their scrambled eggs. Another popular 

restaurant, owned by an Australian, sprinkles sugar on French Fries. You can’t reason with them because they deny

Maybe move this thread to the Pattaya page, as I would imagine there is more advice on where to eat, or shops that sell whole foods without the usual ultra-processed cr@p inherent in most outlets..

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

putting sugar on chips I have to be honest I've never seen that, salt ok, I mostly make chips at home I dont often order them outside, great done in the air fryer, 

Yeah, I make most of my food in home too. Maybe out eating Saturdays and Sundays with family. However, I´ve heard a lot of the air fryers, and also tasted it. Not too bad, but I just can´t live without my portion of fat. ???? 

• Like 1

If you're serious about diabetes and your health in general, then cooking at home is the solution. Lots of vegies (especially the 4 cruciferous greens), nuts, eggs, berries, apples. Some red meat, lots of fatty fish (salmon). Avoid all dairy products. No alcohol, no 'sports' drinks. Black coffee & green tea are fine.

Make eating-out a once-a-fortnight change.

• Thumbs Up 2

Think you need to read up on Diabetes

I am from England Diabetic over 35 years, so tend to read up on the NHS websites

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/food-groups/sugar-and-diabetes#:~:text=You don't need to,diabetes is a bit complicated.

Can diabetics eat food with sugar?

You don't need to cut out sugar from your diet if you have diabetes

Diabetic hypoglycemia occurs when someone with diabetes doesn't have enough sugar (glucose) in his or her blood. Glucose is the main source of fuel for the body and brain, so you can't function well if you don't have enough

sprinkles sugar on French Fries = No but then as I have CKD [kidney problem] I do not sprinkles Salt on French Fries ether 
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

After years I did another attempt to find unsweetened condensed milk. Gave up.

Sweetened, sweetened AND mixed with palm oil (another "healthy" highlight) or completely from palm oil (faking).

So I remain tied to coffee mate. Made of:

palm oil ☹️

We became desperate after years, too. In Europe they have what is called "coffee milk, which is perfect for coffee. No sugar in it, low fat and you can keep it even outside the fridge. The milk comes in coffe cup aligned portions and is not expensive.

Here we use "Carnation" or better - buy the smallest cartons of whipping cream you can get, unopened they last as well a considerable time. That is the luxury solution - but with a very good coffee - why not ? It just comes at a price.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1