Scam call

StayinThailand2much

23 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Was just reading posts here, and right after received a scam call (+69711852123459, number registered somewhere in the South Pacific), starting with: "Sawasdee khrap..."

In my 17 years on here, I can't recall a similar occurrence......????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Also random calls from Bangkok numbers.

It's a pest analog to mail spam.

Your number: if they don't say sawatdee but call by your name and talk in English then! it's time for concern ????

Yes, possible. Sometimes I get such calls from within Thailand, e.g. 09... Sometimes the phone company even labels them 'Possible scam', etc. - The one I got today from +6971... actually sounded like pre-recorded. Googling it, I found posts about this very number from as far as The Netherlands. As a good number of people seem to fall for those, I get why the scammers don't shy away from the costs for numerous random calls.

37 minutes ago, Purdey said:

If you don't add your phone number and real name to your AN profile, I am mystified how anyone could get it.

Is’nt the internet a wonderful thing especially the two most prominent info grabbers who are capable of analysing every f - - -t and can tell you what you ate last night, they are as bad if not worse than the Chinese government, unbelievable really when one considers they are both American companies we all laughingly know as the land of the FREE.

just look at the list of email addresses you use and you will see that it does not matter which moniker you use 99% of them will be logged into one thing “ your real name “ because somewhere at sometime you used it and the info grabbers grabbed it and the scammers can find it with consummate ease.

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Yep I do the same. I've also built a 20cm external layer of reinforced concrete to my house, with an earthed 20 mm sheet of steel between the external and internal  layers.

Hope you didn't use RAAC!

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Was just reading posts here, and right after received a scam call (+69711852123459, number registered somewhere in the South Pacific), starting with: "Sawasdee khrap..."

This "number" +69711852123459 is not a phone number,  it's not registered anywhere on the planet. 

It is just what  your provider shows you if you receive certain calls routed through the internet (most calls are nowadays routed through the internet). The calls may be scam or not,  you have no way to know. 

I got a call from exactly the same "number" (ie my display showed this number). It was a legitimate call from overseas.  I did answer and heard a familiar voice. 

Edited by Lorry

16 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I got a call from exactly the same "number" (ie my display showed this number). It was a legitimate call from overseas.  I did answer and heard a familiar voice. 

Interesting. I certainly didn't know the caller. Might have been a Thai male or some kind of a recorded message. If you google the number, you'll find websites with comments about this number in Thai and Dutch. I also found an article from "The Thaiger", warning that these +697... numbers are used by scammers.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes I have had a lot of them +number calls in Thai one was the Faroe Islands spoke in Thai, One came from my UK Bank number and they spoke in Thai, One after downloading 'Wise' app. Now I do not have Apps on my phone, I'm out.

18 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Interesting. I certainly didn't know the caller. Might have been a Thai male or some kind of a recorded message. If you google the number, you'll find websites with comments about this number in Thai and Dutch. I also found an article from "The Thaiger", warning that these +697... numbers are used by scammers.

I posted about 4 of these +numbers more than a year ago.

8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I do not think that the call is connected to reading AN.

I read the papers on a desktop computer.

I have no apps on my phone other then the manufacturer's ones that I cannot delete.

I receive quite a few +69 calls. I just block them.

I have a at least a hundred third-party apps on each of my two phones, three Thai SIMs, and I've received maybe one robocall in the last 18 months.

Phone apps aren't the devil's work despite your constant assertion to the contrary.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

There was a post on here I think it was about some official doing a runner, when I clicked on it it was an 'Anacona" site'

I did report it. never got a thank you though.

19 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Phone apps aren't the devil's work despite your constant assertion to the contrary.

I suspect online ads that one accidentally clicks on. Then again, I sometimes receive emails in Thai offering accounting services. Not many know my email address, though, so it's strange to get those.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"surfing Asean Now"

Does anybody still use that term, surfing the internet?

I think I heard or read that the last time over 20 years ago.

So, for you, language is like clothing? One must be "trendy" to be "in"? Once I got clobbered here for using "man" instead of "dude", made me laugh.

• Confused 1