Starlink, is it a available in Thailand yet

essex boys

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

You think Thailand will say yes?  Fat chance!  The same goes for Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar etc etc. There is very little reason for these countries to approve Starlink.

The Starlink website has Cambodia and Laos with a start date of 2024.

• Like 1

@Crossy I’m with true and they had to run a cable using the existing electric poles from the main road down our soi to the house, I reckon that’s about a quarter mile, I get pretty good speed but the network often flashes up an ‘ unstable network ‘ message so things like our cctv will sometimes not ‘playback’ because there’s a delay in the signal

16 minutes ago, essex boys said:

@Crossy I’m with true and they had to run a cable using the existing electric poles from the main road down our soi to the house, I reckon that’s about a quarter mile, I get pretty good speed but the network often flashes up an ‘ unstable network ‘ message so things like our cctv will sometimes not ‘playback’ because there’s a delay in the signal

I'm assuming our OP has already exhausted the possibility of a fixed line connection hence my use of the word "mobile".

If you are having network stability issues, I would talk to your provider.

a quick view at the startlink website did not show me whether available in Thailand

but an estimated cost of €65/mo {2210 baht/month} with a one-time hardware cost

of €450 { baht 15.300}

no thanks as I have a reliable fast glassfibre contract for 1 GB/s for about a quarter of this cost without one time costs! but than, I am happy to live in a rural village in the North of Thailand.

• Like 1

Friend of mine just got it in USA. Spent over $800USD and it SUCKS. He is so disappointed. There's also no customer service and no one to talk to. Says it's all online and you're on your own. He's just gonna dump it, eat the loss and go back cable Internet/WiFi. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

You do realize giving us the name of company and/or plan name would be helpful to some?

Marathon but I here it may be dead on our next renewal. Ais said there's promo in background if you have it. Wife says she no longer sees the package on shopee

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 6:23 PM, simon43 said:

You think Thailand will say yes?  Fat chance!  The same goes for Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar etc etc. There is very little reason for these countries to approve Starlink.

And why would you need it here. Mobile data coverage is excellent almost everywhere in Thailand at a reasonable price. Knocks the spots off European service providers. And fast fibre is available even in the boonies and has been for several years. Anyway I'm biased against anything that has a whiff of musk about it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2023 at 8:53 PM, blackcab said:

The Starlink website has Cambodia and Laos with a start date of 2024.

I have a hat here that I will eat if that happens ???? The Starlink website map generally indicates when they have enough satellites in orbit such that they pass over the region in sufficient numbers to provide continuous internet service (typically 15 minutes for each pass).  I don't think that map includes data about whether the country's regulatory authorities has agreed to allow the service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I have a hat here that I will eat if that happens ???? The Starlink website map generally indicates when they have enough satellites in orbit such that they pass over the region in sufficient numbers to provide continuous internet service (typically 15 minutes for each pass).  I don't think that map includes data about whether the country's regulatory authorities has agreed to allow the service.

Many years ago I remember the big hooha about the awful internet service in Thailand when compared to neighboring countries.

The reason given was that Laos and Cambodia put their development out to tender internationaly. They were happy with foreign investment and tech.

Thailand decided they'd go it alone. They got left behind.

You might want to season that hat of yours and pre heat the oven.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Many years ago I remember the big hooha about the awful internet service in Thailand when compared to neighboring countries.

The reason given was that Laos and Cambodia put their development out to tender internationaly. They were happy with foreign investment and tech.

Thailand decided they'd go it alone. They got left behind.

You might want to season that hat of yours and pre heat the oven.

I think you are left behind. Thailand coverage for mobile and fixed line fibre is a lot better than many countries in the world. Don't forget your hat on the way out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...