Foreigners running workshops/seminars in Koh Phangan - do they need work permit?

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, Working is defined in the labor law, which is very clear and leaves no room for interpretation. 

Yes, most of them are working illegally.

Look like you keep asking to find somebody to tell you that you can it legally, which you can't they way you like to do it. For a work permit you need either being employed or have your own business.

To get a work permit for while having your own business you need to employ 4 Thai staff for each foreigner you employ, including yourself.

As said above, there is a exemption specifically for seminars/lectures etc.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

As said above, there is a exemption specifically for seminars/lectures etc.

There is an exemption for attending, not for organising, conducting or speaking at the same.

Consider foreign musicians and performers who enter Thailand to sing in a concert or act in a play.

Such artistes apply for a 15 day urgent work permit which allows them to perform at their concert venue for reward.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

What if they don't get paid and do it for free?

i worked here as a teacher and a chef   had permit and proper visa

i volunteered here as DJ and radio host had to go to BKK and get a Vol visa and pay for it

i helped a friend sell ice cream on walking street...for free and got scolded by the boss lady

so YES.....stupid as it sounds  aka thai logic

Just now, JoseThailand said:

I don't care if it's technically illegal as long as it's widely tolerated. Prostitution in Thailand is illegal too, but who cares...

Then crack on, but don't come back here complaining, you now have all the info on being caught, being toast, and probably being in a canoe to your birthplace..........????..........................????

39 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Just go with the flow. Sabai sabai. This is Thailand.

This is a newbie mistake. People assume that because the lines aren't where they expect them to be they can do what they like - there are lines and if you cross one of THEIR lines you will know about it.

Anybody wanna muddy up the waters by mentioning the companies that exist to "hire" foreigners, charging them a fee to keep them legal (including paying taxes so they can renew their WP each year)?

Edit:  I never used one, so I don't claim to have details.  But they seemed to be real popular with digital nomads before Covid.  As I recall, some of them also provided shared workspace.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Work is what you do at your job. A job is a place where you work. Any more questions?

"Any more questions?".

Yes, how can a 'place of work' be a 'job', surely it would just be a place of work?  None of my jobs were ever the offices I have worked in.

Any more answers?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Any more questions?".

Yes, how can a 'place of work' be a 'job', surely it would just be a place of work?  None of my jobs were ever the offices I have worked in.

Any more answers?

Well, one of the meanings of the word "job" is a location where you work. "I arrived at my job."

• Sad 2