A stark reminder of Thai "hospitality"

mike111

26 minutes ago, bignok said:

Your relationships failed. Your ex wife got a free house. You are bored in Isaan. 

My relationship failed. I live in the house as long as I want. When I leave, she can have it, if I let it stand. Yes, it's boring in Isaan. That's what I said earlier.

25 minutes ago, bignok said:

They cant speak much Thai and Isaan is mostly boring. Ubon, KK, Udon, NK, Loei are the best spots.

You assume on almost every reply. How do you know how much Thai anyone I know can speak? You don't, so don't assume. I've been to Ubon a hundred times, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Khon Kaen, Buriram, Bueng Kan, Surin, and everything in between, and again, they are all about the same.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, fredwiggy said:

You assume on almost every reply. How do you know how much Thai anyone I know can speak? You don't, so don't assume. I've been to Ubon a hundred times, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Khon Kaen, Buriram, Surin, and everything in between, and again, they are are about the same.

I have met many farangs who lived in Thailand. Most can barely speak Thai.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, mike111 said:

I bought a pack of rubbish bags at 7-11 yesterday. Didn't open it & had the receipt.

Went back to the same shop today, approached the staff at the entrance to show I came in with the item & asked if I could exchange for something else. She said yes.

Good, collected a few snacks and headed back to the cashier. Out of nowhere she says "cannot". Surprised I asked why and she replied "more than 1 day".

WTF. I bought a pack of plastic bags less than 24h ago, never opened the pack & cannot exchange ? I didn't even ask for a refund.

Then I insisted and told her that the other staff said this would be possible. The gates of hell then opened wide ensuing with swearing in Thai, angry faces and what not. Eventually she said "I give you money back". I said I can just get other items instead but she insisted I just get the money & leave the shop, as a punishment for my wrongdoings.

I left determined not to place a foot in that shop again.

Moral of the story:

1. A reminder that foreigners are welcome in Thailand only while they're walking ATMs. If you're actually asking for something back, well...good luck.

2. 7-11 has ridiculous unwritten (at least in English) policies. Caveat emptor.

I think even Thais know that once you buy something, it is yours, in Thailand.

That is the way it is here.

But what you describe after, is quite in line with what I see in the Thai culture.

The pollute their speech with useless words like Ka and Khap, and the 'Wai', which should symbolize 'respect' for others. No such thing here, selfishness is prevalent in their behavior, and contradicts those words of respect.

If respect would be part of the equation, and consistent with all these useless words that they utter, these clerks would have found a way to explain to you, with a smile, that while they would wish to exchange the goods bought, that it is not something that store do in Thailand.

And found a way to part with you, with smiles on all faces...

That is the real problem....

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bignok said:

More health problems as you age. Sex is not exciting anymore.

How do you know if sex isn't exciting for anyone besides yourself? Assuming again. Sex is great as far as I'm concerned. Looking at your partner as a partner and not an object might improve things for you. You're aging also, and it comes fast after you're 40, so be prepared. I've been a weight trainer over 50 years, and I've been humbled since age 47, when I was in the best shape of my life and as strong as anyone, all things considered, in the gyms I went to , without steroids. Overworked my joints, and now am paying, but still very strong for 67. Everyone gets health problems, no matter if you eat healthily all your life, not smoke, drink too much, train weekly and get enough sleep. Can't assume how old you are, although your comments lead me to believe late teens to early twenties.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

I have met many farangs who lived in Thailand. Most can barely speak Thai.

And so have I, and some are fluent and are teachers here. Not speaking Thai isn't a problem if you can communicate other ways. Everyone in my village thinks my ex is a nutcase, and know, from here and her family, that I was good to her all along. They are fine with me.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

And so have I, and some are fluent and are teachers here. Not speaking Thai isn't a problem if you can communicate other ways. Everyone in my village thinks my ex is a nutcase, and know, from here and her family, that I was good to her all along. They are fine with me.

They just say that to your face. They couldnt care less about you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

They just say that to your face. They couldnt care less about you.

Again you assume what others think about someone you know absolutely nothing about. Now I'm thinking you aren't very old, nor wise. When you get to my age, and are very into the psychological aspect of others behavior, you can judge people a little easier. I know for a fact many locals either don't care much about us or are prejudiced towards us because of their forefathers teachings. Some are welcome to us and they show it by their interest. I have my ex;s relatives that live next door, and see them daily. I let his buffalo eat the grass I'm growing for a lawn. He borrows tools, and I borrow his weedeater. They like me, and have told me they think my ex, their cousin, was wrong in what she did. Her mom said the same not only to me, but to my girlfriend. I don't have a problem with anyone besides the mentally ill and narcissists. I can't relate to them because they aren't right, and their actions show it .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Again you assume what others think about someone you know absolutely nothing about. Now I'm thinking you aren't very old, nor wise. When you get to my age, and are very into the psychological aspect of others behavior, you can judge people a little easier. I know for a fact many locals either don't care much about us or are prejudiced towards us because of their forefathers teachings. Some are welcome to us and they show it by their interest. I have my ex;s relatives that live next door, and see them daily. I let his buffalo eat the grass I'm growing for a lawn. He borrows tools, and I borrow his weedeater. They like me, and have told me they think my ex, their cousin, was wrong in what she did. Her mom said the same not only to me, but to my girlfriend. I don't have a problem with anyone besides the mentally ill and narcissists. I can't relate to them because they aren't right, and their actions show it .

How long did your marriage last?

Just now, bignok said:

Yep delusional. 

You do know, since you use the word freely, what delusional means right? What incontrovertible evidence is there in this man's post that makes anyone who agrees with him delusional? I see his post as it is. Not as a reply to someone else's rants about Thais, but as an experience he had in a store a day ago. It may have been exactly how he stated it was. We weren't there, so can't judge him. You think he made this up just for the hell of it, looking for sympathy? I see it as it probably happened, and I'm far from gullible. If it's not exactly how it happened, it doesn't matter. He asked for a refund from a store that usually does, in 30 days or less, no matter the country. Stores do not usually change policies in other countries unless they are a franchise, then it's up to them. What he asked for isn't unreasonable. It's been called cheap, but that's no one's business how others spend their money. Some have a lot of money, and are of the thinking it's beneath them to return something so small. Oh well, not your deal anyway.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You do know, since you use the word freely, what delusional means right? What incontrovertible evidence is there in this man's post that makes anyone who agrees with him delusional? I see his post as it is. Not as a reply to someone else's rants about Thais, but as an experience he had in a store a day ago. It may have been exactly how he stated it was. We weren't there, so can't judge him. You think he made this up just for the hell of it, looking for sympathy? I see it as it probably happened, and I'm far from gullible. If it's not exactly how it happened, it doesn't matter. He asked for a refund from a store that usually does, in 30 days or less, no matter the country. Stores do not usually change policies in other countries unless they are a franchise, then it's up to them. What he asked for isn't unreasonable. It's been called cheap, but that's no one's business how others spend their money. Some have a lot of money, and are of the thinking it's beneath them to return something so small. Oh well, not your deal anyway.

Ok

36 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You like to ask others personal questions. Bored in your own relationships? Not that it matters, but 6 years. It would have ended a lot sooner had we lived in America, and she would have been behind bars.

More likely you would have been homeless.

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2023 at 11:09 AM, bbko said:

In your home country do the stores have signs written in Thia?

You are missing the point! In my home country, or I suspect your home country, there are not enough 'Thai's' (spelt correctly) to justify the spelling of anything in Thai, in a convenience store.????

Edited by mikeymike100
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

More likely you would have been homeless.

Not a possibility, as I pay my bills first. Lived there, paid for a house 32 years, before moving here. I would have stayed in that house if she moved there, but she wanted to stay in a country where she had no relationship to speak of with anyone in her family.  When I go back, I'll rent to own, and then mortgage, just like everyone else does that re locates.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

My gf returned 2 in 3 weeks.

Sounds like you have a good woman. Strong. A sense of conviction. For some reason some Thais are timid about this kind of thing. And some believe that customer service does not exist here. It does. You just have to push them sometimes, to do the right thing, and consider the long game! 

Edited by spidermike007

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Were you there? No, so you can't assume he was shouting. Act the part of an adult and give the man the benefit of the doubt. Read what he wrote and comprehend it. Don't pick it apart and assume. If you aren't sure, don't comment. The girl walked away saying okay, obviously she understood what he said, as many teenagers know some English here, much more than adults do. Insisting they do something which is reasonable isn't wrong. Complaining is how things are fixed, from a 7-11 return to the UN negotiating over policies and laws.

Were you there? No, you weren't. You are giving him the benefit of the doubt, I am giving the same to the staff. Remember you are dealing with a person who thinks it is appropriate to try to take some cheap bin bags back the following day to exchange for snacks. He also used the word "insisted" when it looked like it wasn't going his way.

If I am to believe him that all Hell let loose with people swearing and shouting at him in Thai then I simply don't believe that happened without him shouting and escalating it first. There is no way in a million years that 7-Eleven staff would shout and swear like otherwise. You can believe what you like, neither of us were there, I think my scenario is far more likely based on my experience of living here for nearly 30 years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Were you there? No, you weren't. You are giving him the benefit of the doubt, I am giving the same to the staff. Remember you are dealing with a person who thinks it is appropriate to try to take some cheap bin bags back the following day to exchange for snacks. He also used the word "insisted" when it looked like it wasn't going his way.

If I am to believe him that all Hell let loose with people swearing and shouting at him in Thai then I simply don't believe that happened without him shouting and escalating it first. There is no way in a million years that 7-Eleven staff would shout and swear like otherwise. You can believe what you like, neither of us were there, I think my scenario is far more likely based on my experience of living here for nearly 30 years.

Doesn't take 30 years to understand what goes on here. Just personal experience in a lot of situations. He said insisted, and that could mean two things. In a gentle or harsh manner. I have insisted many times to speak to managers in a variety of situations, but was never rude or harsh, and they found someone who could help. Maybe the workers did yell and shout in Thai, maybe not. I've seen it happen many times with Asian women from all nationalities, both here and back home, so I know it happens. Maybe exaggerating, maybe not. But bringing back anything for an exchange isn't wrong. If they say no, and you keep going on, that's wrong, because it wasn't expensive or broken.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/10/2023 at 11:25 AM, mike111 said:

For the kind souls who've decided it was an impulsive buying for something I didn't need: I planned to use the bags (as a protection some items) but eventually managed without them. Nothing impulsive.

Anywhere in the world I've been to, and I've been around, a shop would gladly exchange an item if it's unopened and a receipt is provided. I didn't ask for a refund, just to exchange for something else. Why is this considered "bothering" the shop staff is beyond comprehension.

You need to travel more.

On 9/10/2023 at 11:25 AM, mike111 said: