Is re-entry allowed for Visa-exempt stamp?

Hey all,

I spent 14 days in the kingdom this year. I'm returning for 33 more days this year.

When I re-enter, will I (hopefully) get a new stamp, which I'll have to extend before I leave the country? Or will I get 16 days, which I have to renew to stay the 33 days?

Thanks for your help!

- David

You will get a 30-day visa exempt entry that you can extend for another 30-day. Or you can get a TV and there is no need to visit immigration, TM30, etc. etc. It's a better option in my opinion otherwise you may end up wasting one day to get an extension though man y people will claim they get it in 30-minute and then come here cry why they did not get it in 30-day. This forum is full of hypocrite people and if you are lucky may be you will get an extension in 30-minutes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

You will get a 30-day visa exempt entry that you can extend for another 30-day. Or you can get a TV and there is no need to visit immigration, TM30, etc. etc. It's a better option in my opinion otherwise you may end up wasting one day to get an extension though man y people will claim they get it in 30-minute and then come here cry why they did not get it in 30-day. This forum is full of hypocrite people and if you are lucky may be you will get an extension in 30-minutes. 

@CartagenaWarlockWhat is TV?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

What country's passport will you be entering Thailand with? With visa exempt, you get a new 30-90 days each entry depending on the passport you hold. Visa on arrival is different.

@OhyesuareThat's actually another question I had. The stamps are in my Israeli passport, but I have a US one as well. I was wondering if I'm not better off presenting my US passport on my upcoming visit. Do they know you have already visited this year because it's online (so it doesn't matter which passport I use) or because they see the stamps in my passport?

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You will be given new 30 day stamp if you opt to enter visa exempt.

You will need to obtain a 30 day extension.

Some offices have appointment system.

Simple easy process.

Will provide another 30 days which starts from expiry of your entry stamp.

Disregard post stating there can be issue with obtaining extensions

Some people overlook TM30 which can be an issue.

You can obtain screenshot of TM30 from your hotel. 

Thanks a lot for the info @DrJack54! It sounds pretty straightforward. 

Is TM30 also relevant when staying with a friend?

Visa-exempt entries are single entry so are cancelled when you leave. The good news is when you return you will get another free 30 days visa-exempt entry. However, as you have a very awkward 33 day stay you must consider your options. 1/ A 3 day overstay will cost 1500 baht in fines and you will get a nasty black overstay stamp in your passport. If by chance you were caught/arrested during the 3 day overstay then you will be heading to immigration detention cells in Bangkok. 2/ Attend any immigration office and extend you stay by 30 days and cost 1900 baht. Pop in your chosen office and ask what is required as it can vary slightly from office to office. 3/ Obtain a 60 day Tourist (TR) Visa before you come. Costs around 1400 baht. 4/ Do a border bounce at sometime during your stay. That is leave the country by land, air or sea and when you return you will get another fresh 30 free visa-exempt entry. You can do this twice a calendar year by land but almost unlimited by air. The beauty of this option is you get to see one of the neighbouring countries and the 1900 baht you saved can go towards the cost. Avoid the Poipet border point as they have a very poor reputation.

21 minutes ago, David Resnick said:

@OhyesuareThat's actually another question I had. The stamps are in my Israeli passport, but I have a US one as well. I was wondering if I'm not better off presenting my US passport on my upcoming visit. Do they know you have already visited this year because it's online (so it doesn't matter which passport I use) or because they see the stamps in my passport?

Doesn't matter which passport you use, they will see your previous entry on the computer even if you change passports and you'll get 30 days visa exempt on either one. As others have said, you can extend visa exempt 30 day entries for another 30 days at your closest immigration office. You said you are staying with a friend, they are required by law to report your stay to immigration via a TM30 within 24 hours and it's common these days to be asked for proof of the TM30 being done when going to do any extensions.

48 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Doesn't matter which passport you use, they will see your previous entry on the computer even if you change passports and you'll get 30 days visa exempt on either one. As others have said, you can extend visa exempt 30 day entries for another 30 days at your closest immigration office. You said you are staying with a friend, they are required by law to report your stay to immigration via a TM30 within 24 hours and it's common these days to be asked for proof of the TM30 being done when going to do any extensions.

Agreed.

I used to have 2 passports and on one occasion was able to see the I.O.'s computer screen. All my entries on both passports were shown. This was pre fingerprint days so I guess the two were linked via other passport details.  Now that you have to provide fingerprints on entry, the system, provided it wasn't written by somebody's brother in law, should pick up any entry you've made on any passport.

5 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

Visa-exempt entries are single entry so are cancelled when you leave. The good news is when you return you will get another free 30 days visa-exempt entry. However, as you have a very awkward 33 day stay you must consider your options. 1/ A 3 day overstay will cost 1500 baht in fines and you will get a nasty black overstay stamp in your passport. If by chance you were caught/arrested during the 3 day overstay then you will be heading to immigration detention cells in Bangkok. 2/ Attend any immigration office and extend you stay by 30 days and cost 1900 baht. Pop in your chosen office and ask what is required as it can vary slightly from office to office. 3/ Obtain a 60 day Tourist (TR) Visa before you come. Costs around 1400 baht. 4/ Do a border bounce at sometime during your stay. That is leave the country by land, air or sea and when you return you will get another fresh 30 free visa-exempt entry. You can do this twice a calendar year by land but almost unlimited by air. The beauty of this option is you get to see one of the neighbouring countries and the 1900 baht you saved can go towards the cost. Avoid the Poipet border point as they have a very poor reputation.

Option 4 sounds great @Jaggg88, thanks for mentioning it! Definitely the way to go. Now I'll have an actual purpose to go to Esan. 

- David

2 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

More great information, thanks @Ohyesuare

• Like 1

One thing to note and this may vary from country to country but as the TM6 which showed your departure date is no longer used for entry into Thailand, the onus now appears to be at your departure point. I know that at the Auckland (NZ) airport I would not be able to board a flight to BKK without either a return or ongoing flight within the 30 day visa exempt period. There are ways around this with a 24 hour temporary flight ticket or a flexible date flight. 

• Love It 1

56 minutes ago, Terrygc said:

One thing to note and this may vary from country to country but as the TM6 which showed your departure date is no longer used for entry into Thailand, the onus now appears to be at your departure point. I know that at the Auckland (NZ) airport I would not be able to board a flight to BKK without either a return or ongoing flight within the 30 day visa exempt period. There are ways around this with a 24 hour temporary flight ticket or a flexible date flight. 

The requirement (often, but not always, enforced by airlines) to have an onward flight within 30 days when planning to enter without a visa has long existed. It has nothing to do with the recent suspension of the TM6 entry/departure card for airport arrivals. The date stamp on the TM6 departure section just duplicates what is already on the entry stamp placed in your passport.

What the suspension of TM6 at airports might have done is contributed to the stricter enforcement of TM30 notifications. The TM6 arrival section had a field for your address in Thailand which used to make the TM30 somewhat superfluous.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, David Resnick said:

Option 4 sounds great @Jaggg88, thanks for mentioning it! Definitely the way to go. Now I'll have an actual purpose to go to Esan. 

- David

As it founds likeyou would be flying in visa exempt be aware that airline may (probably will)  insist on seeing a return ur onwsrd  ticket not more than 30 days from arrival.

So you will need to fleither have a flexible return ticket (one you can change datss on after youenter) or bug a "throw awsy" onwsrd ticket. (Or, if anyway planning to visit a neighboring country buy ticket for that...)

• Love It 1

12 hours ago, David Resnick said:

Is TM30 also relevant when staying with a friend?

Yes.  However practically speaking no need to bother if you do not plan on attending immigration in-country for any reason. But ifyou might need to go to immigration (e.g.for an extension.of stay)thenmost officers insist onseeing a TM30. 

• Love It 1

Any recommendations for a close destination I can get a cheap flight ticket to?

I think I will try to cancel it and get the visa extension while I'm in the country.

Unfortunately, the next appointment at the Thai embassy here is not until December, after I return.

Edited by David Resnick

On 9/11/2023 at 7:43 PM, Sheryl said:

As it founds likeyou would be flying in visa exempt be aware that airline may (probably will)  insist on seeing a return ur onwsrd  ticket not more than 30 days from arrival.

So you will need to fleither have a flexible return ticket (one you can change datss on after youenter) or bug a "throw awsy" onwsrd ticket. (Or, if anyway planning to visit a neighboring country buy ticket for that...)

This year I booked 120 days to Thailand  from UK on visa on arrival.I had a return flight booked to Cambodia on day 58.When I left UK I had no problem with airline not having return ticket within the 30 days of arrival.

Have things changed now?

1 hour ago, billypla said:

This year I booked 120 days to Thailand  from UK on visa on arrival.I had a return flight booked to Cambodia on day 58.When I left UK I had no problem with airline not having return ticket within the 30 days of arrival.

Have things changed now?

It totally depends on the  airline. Many will not let you board without a visa without  an onward flight within 30 days as this is what IATA guidelines state is required for entry. Nothing new about this.

You did not get a visa on arrival. You entered visa exempt. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, David Resnick said:

I think I will try to cancel it and get the visa extension while I'm in the country.

Unfortunately, the next appointment at the Thai embassy here is not until December, after I return.

Phnom Penh or Ventiene. Or, if open to actually using ticket and taking a short trip, Siem Reap where you can visir the Angkor temples for a few days. They are well worth it.

5 hours ago, David Resnick said:

Google "Skyscanner" for throw away ticket.

Better option is

"onwardticket.com"

That is rent a flight and you buy the ticket day before your flight to Thailand.

approx 12usd.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Google "Skyscanner" for throw away ticket.

Better option is

"onwardticket.com"

That is rent a flight and you buy the ticket day before your flight to Thailand.

approx 12usd.

Interesting service! 

I will want to fly in Thailand, so I will check which airline would allow me to change a ticket that originally was to out of the country.

46 minutes ago, David Resnick said:

Interesting service! 

I will want to fly in Thailand, so I will check which airline would allow me to change a ticket that originally was to out of the country.

Flexible tickets that allow flight changes are expensive these days. It is possible to buy "fully refundable" tickets, but they are not really "fully refundable". There are always some costs, and you need to pay for a very expensive ticket up front then wait months for a refund. By all means do your research, but the results are going to disappoint you.