Cabinet cuts electricity and diesel prices

webfact

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You say never the case well I'm saying it is because this is what I now pay.

I didn't say "Never the case", you did, that was your comment that I quoted!...

"Interesting. Maybe some others on here can tell us if this is the case for them. I've been here 20 odd years and stayed in several apartments. Never the case. Always above the basic price".

Edited by Liverpool Lou

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

It works like this. Many Thais think we are all stupid. I have many examples like yours. One and not related to a single example is going to a small food shop where the food is good and you get quite a bit. Then the portion gets smaller. Then the price goes up. Then I never go back. They lose. Stupid people.

ive seen the owners and they seem nice wonder if its worth calling him out but i would guess no as i see this dude daily.....i know a THAI lady that lived here and she says he stole gold from her so its not just me...as some have noted it think its all about they will trick anyone as my thai buddy just lost his shop as when we were fixing it up I noted that once we make it nice they will want it back...and thats just what happened.....could be why no thais seem to trust anyone....

as for the thai food ive left many google map reviews for this scam  they are there..forever!

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Fair enough. I reckon you are very lucky then. It's never been the case for me or anyone else I've known. You are the 1st of heard of. 

Maybe you've only stayed in apartments, not condos.   Unbelievable that you've never heard of anyone paying MEA electricity rates in rented property.

On 9/13/2023 at 5:40 PM, Pib said:

I wish I could figure out where they get Bt4.45/KWH amount because when I use the PEA or MEA online calculator which shows quite a few various rates I can't find one that matches a basic Bt4.45 rate....but I can find a rate that comes very close if "not" counting the very significant Ft (energy) charge but counting the 7% VAT.   

Like below is a snapshot if using the typical residential rate at more that 150KWH per month....using a monthly usage amount 1000KWH the total monthly bill would be Bt5,231.....which represents a Bt5.23/KWH.   Now if you "exclude" the 0.6689/KWH Ft charge (which you really can't as that's part of the total cost) then you could get approx a Bt4.56/KWH charge.

Snapshot for PEA Electric Monthly Bill Calculator

https://eservice.pea.co.th/EstimateBill/#

image.png.c2c769587f074005b4a2874d1fb1a2d4.png

I use ~2500kwh/m. In part because nieces who don't understand the cost of aircon.

When I enter 1000kwh to estimate, I get a slightly lower rate of 5.49b/kwh. If I enter the real rate ~2500kwh I get 5.61b/kwh, which is exactly what I pay, 5.61 is printed on my bill. Maybe some additional charges sensitive to volume.

I also see there's an optional Residential Tariff No. 1.2 which scales with peak hour rates. That would save a bit since most of my bill is aircon, off peak starts at midnight and on holidays. I wonder how one requests Tariff No. 1.2.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2023 at 5:20 PM, dinsdale said:

Only if it it less than a certain amout of rooms. Can't remember how many but I think it was single figures.

5 rooms 

On 9/14/2023 at 3:36 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

useful info....tnx  got a link?

Try this thread although not the original notification - 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Maybe you've only stayed in apartments, not condos.   Unbelievable that you've never heard of anyone paying MEA electricity rates in rented property.

A rented property i.e house/townhouse is not the same as a condo or apartment. I have paid normal rates in houses/townhouses.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I made no reference to rented houses, I live in a rented property, it's a privately owned condo.  A condo is not the same as an apartment.

Indeed a condo you can purchase or rent. An apartment is rent. Are you saying if you own the condo (room) you pay standard electriciry charge?

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Indeed a condo you can purchase or rent. An apartment is rent. Are you saying if you own the condo (room) you pay standard electriciry charge?

I'm saying that I get the electricity bill for the condo that I rent directly from the MEA, obviously at the normal rate.  I don't know what arrangements other condo owners put in place for their tenants.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2023 at 2:44 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Garbage.  Electricity rates per Kwh (units) were not tripled in May!

do you even live in Thailand? do you use PEA? go grouch on someone else.

every person in the country with an actual house or business complained about it.

our bill was 3x for 4 months so far.

#

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm saying that I get the electricity bill for the condo that I rent directly from the MEA, obviously at the normal rate.  I don't know what arrangements other condo owners put in place for their tenants.

that explains it. tourist with a condo. not even on PEA.

#

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2023 at 2:35 PM, Pib said:

Tripled!?   So you are saying your basic rate went from around Bt4.5/KWH to Bt13.5KWH in May?  That didn't happen.

What happened is you just tripled your KWH usage although the rate stayed the same.  

yea i was wrong. it started in April.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1903040/surging-power-bills-spark-anger

how out of touch are you people?

#

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, roietfortress said:
On 9/16/2023 at 2:44 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Garbage.  Electricity rates per Kwh (units) were not tripled in May!

do you even live in Thailand? do you use PEA? go grouch on someone else.

every person in the country with an actual house or business complained about it.

our bill was 3x for 4 months so far.

Yes, I do live in Thailand, have done continuously since 1994 and I know, as do any others who can read an electricity bill, that unit rates have not tripled...you may have used three times as much power as previously but Kwh charges have not increased by a multiple of three. My latest bill, received today, works out at a MEA unit rate of B4.38 based on the total charge divided by the units used.  You may need to show your (suitably redacted) bill here to back up your bizarre assertion.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

that explains it. tourist with a condo. not even on PEA.

Resident here for 29 years, lived in three houses, renting a condo at the moment, as I clearly stated earlier, receiving bills from MEA.  Perhaps you'd like to quote the official PEA electricity rates that they show to justify your incorrect assertion that electricity Kwh/unit rates have tripled since May.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1903040/surging-power-bills-spark-anger

How out of touch are you?   That article you linked to referred to electricity consumption, not Kwh/unit rates increasing. 

Current domestic unit rates after VAT and fuel tariff work out less than B5 per unit, for your rate to have tripled would mean that you were previously being charged around B1.67 per Kwh/unit overall.  You were not being charged that at the start of '23 or any other year, come to that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, roietfortress said:

funny stuff Lou. 

More accurate than "funny".   

Meanwhile, your comments have fallen into the "false and misleading information" category, an area that contravenes the forum rules.

"The Cabinet decided today (Wednesday) to cut the price of electricity from Bt4.45 to Bt4.10 per unit, effective from September’s billing cycled, Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin told the media after his first cabinet meeting".

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cabinet-cuts-electricity-prices

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

You are referencing a newspaper article 3 years old from April 2020 (this is Sep 2023 you know).....digging deep trying to justify your "rates have tripled" inaccurate comment. 

And that 3 year old article was primarily referring to a few people who said their "bills" had doubled, tripled.....not that their "rates" had doubled tripled.  Those people were most likely surprised to see their bills jump way up due to them using a lot more KWH probably from air con usage as the Mar/Apr hot weather arrives after numerous months of cool weather.  Happens every year with surprised looks as the hot season arrives.

Just go to the PEA/MEA website to review rates.....not the hysterical rants of a few people quoted in old clickbait news articles.

Hear, hear!  Well said.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, roietfortress said:

#

Not only did you post an irrelevant 3 year old article to 'prove' something that is not even true, you did so against forum rules, which you seem unaware of, only to conclude others are out of touch?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

More accurate than "funny".   

Meanwhile, your comments have fallen into the "false and misleading information" category, an area that contravenes the forum rules.

"The Cabinet decided today (Wednesday) to cut the price of electricity from Bt4.45 to Bt4.10 per unit, effective from September’s billing cycled, Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin told the media after his first cabinet meeting".

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cabinet-cuts-electricity-prices

the article may have been old. that was my oversight. i was in the middle of more important things than replying to boomer trolls.

however i do have first-hand experience showing our electricity rates dramatically increased while our usage dropped. my wife has business owner friends who paid 7-9k for electric in May 2021 and 2022, then paid 15-20k in May 2023 on the same kw usage. our family monk reported that their bill, which was always in the 1500-2000 range jumped up over 5k. maybe they are lying too?

i don't care about much in my easy Thailand life, but the electric bill is one thing i have to review every month. my article reference was out of date, but they wouldn't be "easing" rates if they weren't raised in the first place. basic logic.

angry and upset replies are not necessary and they just make me laugh. 

#

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

i do have first-hand experience showing our electricity rates dramatically increased while our usage dropped.

Domestic electricity rates have not dramatically increased by the factors that you claimed.  Your usage may have dramatically increased but the Kwh rates have not.  What is the Kwh rate that you are being charged on your domestic bill and what rate are you still claiming that it has it increased from?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Domestic electricity rates have not dramatically increased by the factors that you claimed.  Your usage may have dramatically increased but the Kwh rates have not.  What is the Kwh rate that you are being charged on your domestic bill and what rate are you still claiming that it has it increased from?

Lou you have 2 choices - accept that rates did increase earlier in the year, or don't. i care the same amount either way. continuously attacking me is futile because i just dont care.

i hope your day gets better. it seems to start off bad every day XD

#

4 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

Lou you have 2 choices - accept that rates did increase earlier in the year, or don't.

You have two choices also, accept that Kwh rates have not tripled, as you falsely claimed, or don't. 

Everyone who receives a domestic MEA/PEA electricity bill, except you, knows that unit rates have not tripled.

Edited by Liverpool Lou