Southern Thai community shaken by drug-infused gay sex scandal involving abbot

webfact

56 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

Not sure why people put up with religion? With all the stories you hear about the Catholic Church having had priests molesting young boys for centuries. Many religions embroiled in sex scandals.

Our local priest got arrested for interfering with boys, my mum said to me, he must’ve not fancied you then?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

'Fair exchange is no robbery' so the saying goes, so what's the problem here? oh a monk yes but it was consensual, unlike a lot of other creepy monks here.

He's at least as creepy as any of the other orange sick bags we read about all too often. Sadly.

Considering the high addictive potential of methamphetamine, I think it's fair to say that at least most of those men were addicted. As such they were desperate for the next fix and willing to prostitute themselves for it. That's not valid consent in any business.

The 'abbot' was abusing their vulnerabilities to obtain sex where in fact he should have been helping them to overcome them.

Sex may be the 'abbot's vulnerability. But then he has the teaching and training to overcome it and pass that on to his victims. Instead he chose to abuse his congregation and his cloth for his own immediate gratification.

35 minutes ago, bignok said:

What are we?

Not self, meaning there is no core of 'self' that is independent and unchanging. There is only interdependence on other things eg. your life depended on your parents, afterwards you are dependent on food and air from the world which is dependent on the solar system which is dependent on the galaxy and so on, all the organs of your body are in an indirect way made up of materials from a supernova and you have no direct control over their workings, they will age and die without needing your consent. All your thoughts, attitudes, beliefs etc. come from the society in which you coincidentally live, your tendencies come from your inherited genes, your experiences are causal effects beyond your control. What you call 'I' doesn't exist in and of itself, the 'I' is an assembly of aggregates which are themselves interdependent on other things. What do YOU mean when you say 'I', your heart, your liver, your brain (which is just another organ of bio chemical electrical nature), your character, which was never independently formed or your beliefs which you never chose. Your so called 'free will' is dependent on all the other aforementioned dependencies. Your body changes as you age as do your desires and beliefs, nothing about you has a core of unchanging stability or independence, ie. there is no 'you', only an impermanent manifestation.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Not self, meaning there is no core of 'self' that is independent and unchanging. There is only interdependence on other things eg. your life depended on your parents, afterwards you are dependent on food and air from the world which is dependent on the solar system which is dependent on the galaxy and so on, all the organs of your body are in an indirect way made up of materials from a supernova and you have no direct control over their workings, they will age and die without needing your consent. All your thoughts, attitudes, beliefs etc. come from the society in which you coincidentally live, your tendencies come from your inherited genes, your experiences are causal effects beyond your control. What you call 'I' doesn't exist in and of itself, the 'I' is an assembly of aggregates which are themselves interdependent on other things. What do YOU mean when you say 'I', your heart, your liver, your brain (which is just another organ of bio chemical electrical nature), your character, which was never independently formed or your beliefs which you never chose. Your so called 'free will' is dependent on all the other aforementioned dependencies. Your body changes as you age as do your desires and beliefs, nothing about you has a core of unchanging stability or independence, ie. there is no 'you', only an impermanent manifestation.

Murderer vs Elon Musk. Same society.

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Murderer vs Elon Musk. Same society.

Nobody chooses from an early age to be a murderer, a rapist, a pedophile, a genius, or a philanthropist, it is what happens, choice doesn't exist. Experiments by Benjamin Libet in the 1980's have shown that for example an arm movement will be carried out several seconds before the decision making process in the brain sends its decision to do so (the findings have admittedly been challenged). The Buddha's teaching that 'the world is empty' doesn't mean he believed that nothing existed but rather that nothing existed 'in and of itself'. Observe a flower, if you remove the earth, the sunlight, the rain, and the pollinating bees there is no flower. When Buddha was asked if there was a god he remained silent. He was ambiguous on reincarnation as well but could be moved to favour incarnation because there was no self to reincarnate, as an example he lit a candle from another candle that was burning, the flame (tendencies) could be transferred (incarnation) but not the candle (a self, reincarnating). He considered the mind to be merely a sixth sense but IMHO he ignored that man is not only aware (as are all sentient beings) but man is aware that he is aware, a huge difference. Buddhism is a philosophy not a religion and I have no belief in any religion.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Nobody chooses from an early age to be a murderer, a rapist, a pedophile, a genius, or a philanthropist, it is what happens, choice doesn't exist. Experiments by Benjamin Libet in the 1980's have shown that for example an arm movement will be carried out several seconds before the decision making process in the brain sends its decision to do so (the findings have admittedly been challenged). The Buddha's teaching that 'the world is empty' doesn't mean he believed that nothing existed but rather that nothing existed 'in and of itself'. Observe a flower, if you remove the earth, the sunlight, the rain, and the pollinating bees there is no flower. When Buddha was asked if there was a god he remained silent. He was ambiguous on reincarnation as well but could be moved to favour incarnation because there was no self to reincarnate, as an example he lit a candle from another candle that was burning, the flame (tendencies) could be transferred (incarnation) but not the candle (a self, reincarnating). He considered the mind to be merely a sixth sense but IMHO he ignored that man is not only aware (as are all sentient beings) but man is aware that he is aware, a huge difference. Buddhism is a philosophy not a religion and I have no belief in any religion.

So you flew to Thailand without choosing?

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The arm doesn't move before a person makes a decision to move it. People decide to do something before they're aware of the decision, consciously. But it's still 'them' deciding. 

Just now, bignok said:

So you flew to Thailand without choosing?

I only apparently chose. Like everything else choice doesn't exist in and of itself, there are many many causal events that have to occur before an apparent choice is made. I could take early retirement at 57, my work involved being able to at least see the Thai language and the alphabet fascinated me so out of interest I spent several years teaching myself to read and write it before retirement purely as a hobby. After reading my first book in Thai (Harry Potter) and then a second (The pirates of tarudau) I chanced to meet a Thai in Munich and asked him if I could practice speaking Thai with him. After about 10 minutes he asked me where I had my experience and when I said from books he laughed and said no wonder you speak like nobility, books have a different Thai to normal everyday speaking, you should go to Thailand and read some gutter press newspapers and then speak to normal people (like bar girls for instance). I learnt German from books (the godfather was my first German book) and afterwards refined my German with several girlfriends so the idea took hold in me, my only experience of Asia was a six week holiday in Bali. So I took several holidays in Thailand and when retirement arrived I just flew here. Another causal effect of that is my 16 year old son.

28 minutes ago, Unify said:

The arm doesn't move before a person makes a decision to move it. People decide to do something before they're aware of the decision, consciously. But it's still 'them' deciding. 

If you put your hand on a hot oven plate no decision is made to remove it and in fact the brain lies to you about the sequence of events and gives you the impression that you made the decision. The decision was made but ordered the muscles to react a second after the hand was removed, the brain does a time swap. This is a special case of course and necessary, had the hand waited for the order it could have been seriously burnt. There are several experiments regarding free will that seem to negate that such a thing exists but most people don't want to accept that they are marionettes. Fraudsters work on the principle as does the army which is why PTSD is a thing, normal people don't kill other people, the army (and society) brainwashes you into thinking it's the right thing to do (your 'free will' is put out of action) later your thinking returns to normal and you are horrified at what you have done, if free will is so transient it isn't real, it's just a thought we carry with us, causal events determine our actions not free will.