Shocking treatment: Thai-American couple demands justice after electric shock in Chon Buri hotel jacuzzi

webfact

Just now, Sig said:

If you have trouble reading it, just say so from the beginning or just walk on by. No need to be toxic and snarky, although that appears to be the penchant so so many on here....????
What kind of seriously inquiring person asks someone if they know what paragraphs are? Want to make constructive criticism in a true attempt to gain understanding or less difficulty in reading someone's writing? Then do so. No need for disparaging remarks if you really aren't being intellectually dishonest.

Thanks for the paragraphs, I can read that, sort of, well done......:clap2:

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

I'm intrigued to know how the hospital was able to identify a 5 second electric shock

It must be a new diagnostic skill I've never heard of....  unless he simply asked them 'how long did the shock last?'

Sounds like a scam to me... Last day, in the pool for 20 minutes and only felt the effect at the end. 

Doctor 'what are your symptoms?'

Mrs Thai 'I felt numb all over my body and found it hard to move my arms and legs'

Doctor 'Obviously it's a 5 second electric shock'

I would have diagnosed an orgasm...

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...  There have been numerous debates on this forum regarding the specific meaning of 'electrocution' in relation to meaning death, or death and serious injury. 

Thus: the use of electrocution in this example is perhaps excessive because it would appear there was no 'serious' injury.

That said, its easy enough for any of us to know exactly what is meant by the word without delving in to the semantics... 

I'm sure our resident pedant will be along shortly to debate the debate !!!! 

Agreed - debating the meaning of the word isn't necessary, since it has a definition and established usage.
And since we don't know the severity of injury, it's not worth debating whether or not using the word was excessive or not. IF the supposed words of the injured woman were taken at face value, it would appear appropriate. But, who knows.... We sure don't. Nothing there to take a stand to debate with one way or the other. On top of that, news stories seem to have a tendency to use sensationalistic headlines at any given opportunity, whether truly warranted or not.

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Trauma,they now can't face visiting a Watt,nor a series of other parallel tourist attractions. They have a battery of other issues and now just want to go ohm..

Too many puns in one post Hertz!  You should try alternating them in other posts. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There's nothing wrong with compensation, especially if they received some injuries. 

In Thailand the legal consequences of having poor electrics in public places is extremely limited - The only way to take such issues more seriously is to make them care.

When a lack of safety standards costs businesses and authorities a lot of money, only then Thailand will become safer for the rest of us. 

Thus: While people may not think the issue of compensation is an important one, it actually is, because when businesses know there is a risk of excessive compensation costs they'll care enough to ensure their premises are safe. 

so after a short time she felt numb ....   bs ....   either you get electrocuted or you don't. 

she's trying the game .....   and you are naive to think otherwise

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sig said:

I got curious because I've seen it used both ways - injury & death, so I looked it up. If the article and the woman are to be taken at face value, they were electrocuted. "Electrocution" encompasses severe or bad injury, not only death, which it appears you may have been inferring. Of the 5 dictionaries I checked, one of them only had death in the definition. All the others included injury.

Yes, some dictionaries include injury, though it would generally be used in the industry (which I worked in before) to describe death ( and it comes from the word 'execute') or maybe sometimes when someone experienced a serious, near death injury, like they got frazzled -- not just a small shock.

Electrocuted is a very strong word and usually used to describe death (or near death perhaps)

Otherwise, what's the difference between electrocuted and electric shock? Death is usually the difference, or maybe some life-altering, serious, grievous injury.

I've had numerous electric shocks. I've never been electrocuted.

I didn't know there were 5 dictionaries that actually mattered. I checked Cambridge. It just said "death." I didn't see it mention injury, but know others do, such as Oxford.

Okay, if you are saying they got electrocuted. What injury did they sustain to make you say that? They felt the electricity isn't enough.

I feel as though you would render the the phrase 'electric shock' obsolete, cos apparently even the slightest shock is enough for you to say electrocuted. 

It is a very strong word.

3 hours ago, Sig said:

Although I can understand why you may want to equate your experience in some way or another to the point at hand, basing an opinion on personal anecdotal experience isn't the wisest way to form an opinion from which to judge other people's disasters against. Organ damage or brain damage may not be readily known and the unborn child may also be affected. As you mentioned, we don't know the voltage or amperage. We also don't know how long they were shocked for. They don't know either. They have their ideas, but it is not knowable (unless there is something that wasn't reported) if it happened during the last few seconds before they were able to get out or if it was a low level long term exposure. There are so many unknowns, it is ridiculous for people to make their judgments toward this family with such callousness. Electrical shocks also do not affect every person in the same way. You can shock different people in the exact same way and have completely different outcomes - from death to near no effect. The crude mental toxicity on this forum is insane (that isn't directed toward you. I'm just stunned by the level of lunacy in here.).

Kudos on a smart and non-cofinational response. Your point is well taken. But to assume the worst for this case (baby brain damage, etc) is jumping the gun. We don't know how little or how "big" they were exposed to, but it sure wasn't an electrocution. 

There is no doubt in my mind this family is very lucky to have survived such an incident. And while the expectant mother is wise to be concerned about possible effects on her baby and her family, I must add: given my hospital and intensive care experiences, expectant mothers are typically cautioned to limit their time in a jacuzzi or hot tub for only ten minutes. And depending on the water temperature, ten minutes may be too long. Most physicians I know recommend that a jacuzzi or hot tub be avoided during pregnancy. I wish them all the best ????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

damn hope you're doing well despite the injury.

Yes fine thanks. It's just a question of adjusting and adapting. It takes time but you have to accept there are physiological changes in play which can't be managed. Stopped having seizures, which is a big relief.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

After 20 minutes in the pool, they all felt numb all over their bodies and found it difficult to move their legs and arms.

[/quote]

The symptoms sound very strange.  Was it actually proven that there was an electrical fault?  Perhaps the hotel was using 'cannabis water' in their jacuzzi!

I was going to say the same thing... The symptoms described by the couple don't sound like any kind of "electrocution" in water or moderate level electrical shock I've ever heard of...

There have been all kinds of pool / spa related electrocutions reported here in Thailand in the past involving hotel guests, some fatal, and other providing quite a nasty shock. Usually down to shoddy electrical work combined with water at the site.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

You pay good money for shock therapy in some hospitals. I had the opportunity to observe this procedure at a hospital when my niece was a nurse. After the shock treatment they gave the group of patients a bowl of cereal. I am not sure what the cereal was all about but it was part of the therapy. Maybe the hotel should give this couple a bowl of cereal.

16 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Is not the same, she is Thai.

Plenty of instances of Thais being pursued for defamation cases, I wouldn't presume it could not happen. I agree many (not just the USA people), are ready to sue for damages over little, and in their countries they are paid out rather readily.....

Sounds like someone left a grounding wire off......

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Agree there! Wait until they get back to the USA and then rip these bastards to shreds. make sure as many people know who they are, what they did and the paltry compensation, hopefully they won't be in business much longer. These <deleted>s need taking out.

Compensation for what exactly... it doesn't sound like anything bad happened?.. A little surprised they even offered the 100,000 baht, which isn't really paltry. Sure, there was a danger of a potentially stronger shock, but I don't believe serious compensation should be paid out for maybes. 

Taking out...sure ruin a family and their business......

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

& you highlight an absence of education….  Nothing personal, but it’s so obvious.

with all due respect Richard,  you don't get numb after 20 minutes of being slightly electrocuted.

You eitherget an electric shock or you don't.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1