Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

10 hours ago, andux said:

Not all traveling is a "good 2-week holiday" in a resort or being all day visiting attractions, doing city tours and buying souvenirs.

Traveling can also involve renting an apartment for a couple of months somewhere to live there almost like a local, with the occasional night out or museum visit. 

Sure

Do you really think  $$$ 7 digit income people spend $5000 annually travelling to avoid a bit of a tax ?

BKK - London 1st class return on Emirates is $5000 in itself, then add on the extras.

Now, low $$$ double digit people I could understand slumming it to save a bit on tax.

1 minute ago, The Cyclist said:

Sure

Do you really think  $$$ 7 digit income people spend $5000 annually travelling to avoid a bit of a tax ?

BKK - London 1st class return on Emirates is $5000 in itself, then add on the extras.

Now, low $$$ double digit people I could understand slumming it to save a bit on tax.

When you say slumming, surely you don't mean travelling business class, do you?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Unless they earn money for you - rent, interest, returns, etc. which technically is taxable. 

I do not think capital gains tax would be applicable - but I am not sure about that one. I dont have assets that I will sell for a profit. 

Capital Gains are including & to make things worse they are treated as normal Income so subject to the sliding scale of up to 35% tax.  

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

When you say slumming, surely you don't mean travelling business class, do you?

Nah

I was meaning the $$$ 7 digit income people who trawl sites like # cheapflights.com and slum it in cattle class trying to save a few $$$ in tax.

Must be fahsands and fahsands of them🤣🤣

• Love It 1

20 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

Sure

Let say somebody spends 150K pm, so needs to bring in 1.8Million pa into Thailand to fund it, the tax due on this would be approx. 500K, so they would now need to bring in 2.3Millon pa.

OR they could spend 6 months every 3rd year outside of Thailand & bring over 5.4Million (1.8Million x 3) in the year they're non-tax resident, this would give them approx. 2.2Million to fund their 6 month "holiday", made up of... 

• 3 x 500K tax saved
  • 6 x 150K they they would normally spend in Thailand
  • minus 200K to cover fixed costs like paying the rent for their condo whilst they were away.

Pretty sure they could have a very nice holiday on $10,000pm 🙂 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Well, the ATM point is valid for 2 reasons...

#1 If your card is ever not returned, you will have someone to talk to..

#2 ATMs at a bank have a much lower chance of having a skimmer..

And that is not only good advice for Thailand, but for any country really!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Let say somebody spends 150K pm, so needs to bring in 1.8Million pa into Thailand to fund it, the tax due on this would be approx. 500K, so they would now need to bring in 2.3Millon pa.

Speculation on your part.

I bring in via 2 x pensions between baht 115k - 200k a month. No idea how much tax I will have to pay ( if any ) until the powers that be clarify things.

So I wont be upping that to baht 2.odd million, I will be reducing it before the 01 Jan ( paperwork already done ) until such times as clarity is gained.

Not really rocket science, with the added bous of not having to trawl the internet hunting for cheap travel or fretting about making plans that are a waste of time and effort until clarity is gained.

Edited by The Cyclist
tupo

2 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

Speculation on your part.

I bring in via 2 x pensions between baht 115k - 200k a month. No idea how much tax I will have to pay ( if any ) until the powers that be clarify things.

So I wont be upping that to baht 2.odd million, I will be reducing it before the 01 Jan ( paperwork already done ) until such times as clarity is gained.

Not really rocket science, with the added bous of not having to trawl the internet hunting for cheap travel or fretting about making plans that are a waste of time and effort until clarity is gained.

You could call it speculation, but all my income comes from Rent, Dividends & Capital Gains and from the little information we've got so far, would seem to be subject to Thai Tax,  so I call it my "Plan B".

Especially as I plan on selling my UK House next year (using the money to buy a Condo here) & taking the 25% Tax Free lump sum when my pensions kick in in 2026. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

You could call it speculation,

Everything on this thread is speculation, until such times as the powers that be issue another edict to bring clarity.

It would be wise to look at your own personal circumstances and take active steps to mitigate getting rogered by the Thai taxman, rather than speculating on what might be.

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

Sure

Lots of fallacies and assumptions in your post, and you're avoiding the original argument. 

Let's get back to it: you said that it's impossible to spend $5k a year traveling because a 2-week trip already costs $5k.

My answer: it's possible to travel a few times a year and spend $5k. Rent apartments for 1-2 months and live like a local.

Whether the person doing that is a billionaire or a broke student is irrelevant. The fact remains.

Just now, andux said:

Let's get back to it: you said that it's impossible to spend $5k a year traveling

Actually, I didn't

I said $$$ 7 figure income people do not spend $5000 a year travelling to save a bit of money on some tax.

3 minutes ago, andux said:

My answer: it's possible to travel a few times a year and spend $5k. Rent apartments for 1-2 months and live like a local.

Sure it is. How many $$$ 7 figure income people  do you know that travel cattle class, rent $ 100 a month apartments and live on noodle soup ?

12 hours ago, andux said:

Not all traveling is a "good 2-week holiday" in a resort or being all day visiting attractions, doing city tours and buying souvenirs.

Traveling can also involve renting an apartment for a couple of months somewhere to live there almost like a local, with the occasional night out or museum visit. 

Thanks for your post! I was talking about additional 5K USD financial needs to relocate instead of staying in TH the whole year. While you live somewhere else you do spend your money in the other country NOT in TH.  Hard to understand huh bike lover? For the rest of us do not feed the trolls i.e. a certain guy who pretends to have a bike.

PS: Cyclict save your breath you are on ignore since ages but I have to add citations also. Talk to the hand you know the drill I am sure.

Edited by stat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lorry said:

SCB - as safe as the monarchy

KTB - as safe as the government

BBL - as safe as Thai capitalism

The problem remains if the government will also save "the farangs" if push comes to shove. My guess is no.

11 minutes ago, stat said:

S: Cyclict save your breath you are on ignore since ages but I have to add citations also. Talk to the hand you know the drill I am sure.

Ohhhh my gawd, I'm absolutely gutted and distraught.

Whats wrong petal, not handle people laughing at your speculation.

3 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Unless they earn money for you - rent, interest, returns, etc. which technically is taxable. 

I do not think capital gains tax would be applicable - but I am not sure about that one. I dont have assets that I will sell for a profit. 

Taxable ONLY WHEN REMITTED.  You can make a lot of money on interest and not transfer to Thailand and do not have to pay a penny in TH.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stat said:

The problem remains if the government will also save "the farangs" if push comes to shove. My guess is no.

It is NOT the Thai government it is the Deposit Protection Agency which reports to BOT. My guess is absolutely yes they will, why? Because no foreigner would ever deposit funds into a Thai bank again, if they didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

It is NOT the Thai government it is the Deposit Protection Agency which reports to BOT. My guess is absolutely yes they will, why? Because no foreigner would ever deposit funds into a Thai bank again, if they didn't.

Oiiiii you

Don't spoil his Doom & Gloom narrative 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stat said:

Taxable ONLY WHEN REMITTED.  You can make a lot of money on interest and not transfer to Thailand and do not have to pay a penny in TH.

Thanks - and No Thanks to the Thai apologists saying everything is fine and stop discussing what to do if/when and planning accordingly. 

22 hours ago, K2938 said:

So what would you consider to be the "safest" banks in Thailand from a fraud/bankruptcy risk point of view?

I worry more about cyber risk if I transfer this (non tax resident) year a few millions THB to Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, morg said:

Hi I rent out 2 propertys in UK will I have to pay tax in Thailand 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5b05425fed915d1317445ed2/DT_Digest_April_2018.pdf

Property income dividends get "FULL RELIEF", so only UK tax probably

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a80bddc40f0b623026953eb/uk-thailand-dtc180281_-_in_force.pdf

(1) Income from immovable property may be taxed in the Contracting State in which such property is situated.

(3) The provisions of paragraph (1) of this Article shall apply to income derived from the direct use, letting, or use in any other form of immovable property.

4 hours ago, Klonko said:

I worry more about cyber risk if I transfer this (non tax resident) year a few millions THB to Thailand.

Do not forget that you lose interest while your money does not earn income in TH instaead of 5% in USD funds

5 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

Everything on this thread is speculation, until such times as the powers that be issue another edict to bring clarity.

It would be wise to look at your own personal circumstances and take active steps to mitigate getting rogered by the Thai taxman, rather than speculating on what might be.

Well the it seems clear that with previous years income no longer converting to be considered savings in a ring fenced account before sending to Thailand in a later year. From a UK perspective, unless you have Dividends from immovable property (which I have none) or Gov or local authority Pensions (which I have some). Pretty much everything else is liable to tax in Thailand as soon as you click past the cumulative179 day threshold.

The clarity would be why they would not pursue it? From my pension point of view it's all taxed in UK, but has (ex-Gov . ones) the potential to be assessed in Thailand. 

The potential complexity is the disappointment here, it is like they seem want to put a little salt in the Tea rather than sweetener, still drinkable, but are you still happy with the Tea house,  though the cakes are good.

Since I'm still in they UK, my first action is for me to direct all taxed at source income to a single bank and assoc. savings from that ring fenced from everything else (as far as practicable). It's just going from simplicity to complexity, and the potential time it uses up, that it disruptive, for extended tourist status...

Indirect response to the no way Ho-Zay post above, I will say that my back-of-the-envelope calculation as to my 70K baht/month retirement extension deposit with NO reference to DTA ie social security issues, using only deductions as available TODAY, my tax on income would be about $US 100 per month.

I would prefer not paying it but will not invoke the Doomsday scenario because of it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, stat said:

Do not forget that you lose interest while your money does not earn income in TH instaead of 5% in USD funds

0.5-1.5% interest forsaken in my home currency over 3-5 years better than 10% tax rate in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Klonko said:

0.5-1.5% interest forsaken in my home currency over 3-5 years better than 10% tax rate in Thailand.

The currency interest aspect is a red herring. Few people would invest in THB for the interest rate on cash but they would invest for the exchange rate appreciation and/or the security of having sufficient cash on hand to avoid future exchange rate angst, THB is very volatile.

"I spent time this morning, reading back through some of the posts in this thread and was struck by how much disinformation, inaccurate information and general negative slant there is. The subject of the thread is taxation in Thailand yet it has become a vent for anything and everything about Thailand that people don't like, unreasonably so."
Absolutely right!  I have never read so much waffle and rubbish.  Close the thread, Admin!