Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

On 10/24/2023 at 12:04 PM, Des1 said:

I'm from Canada.

Do a google search for: -Convention Between Canada and the Kingdom of Thailand- and you will find the following…

Re: Contracting States. If he has an habitual abode in both States or in neither of them, he shall be deemed to be a resident of the State of which he is a national.

Article 18

Pensions

1. Pensions and other similar remuneration, whether they consist of periodic or non-periodic payments, for past employment, arising in a Contracting State and paid to a resident or the other Contracting State shall be taxable only in the first-mentioned State.

2. For the purpose of paragraph 1 such remuneration for past employment shall be deemed to arise in a Contracting State if the payer is that State itself, a political subdivision, a local authority or a resident of that State. Where, however, the person paying such income, whether he is a resident of a Contracting State or not, has in a Contracting State a permanent establishment, and such income is borne by such permanent establishment, then such income shall be deemed to arise in the Contracting State in which the permanent establishment is situated.

... so as I understand it, because of this agreement I am not required to pay tax in Thailand.

can I ask are you Canadian resident for tax purposes, or deemed non-resident?

On 9/18/2023 at 9:57 AM, connda said:

Eventually someone is going to write, "Does that mean farang's pension income too."

Short answer would probably be "No," at least for those countries with bilateral tax agreements with Thailand.  If you're paying income tax in your home countries, then Thailand has no claim to tax the income twice.

But if it is pension income that is not taxable in your home country, then your argument doesn't apply. You could end up having to pay tax on your formerly tax-free pension.

Edited by judokrab

4 hours ago, paddypower said:

very soon, this will have a negative effect on new sales of investment condos to foreigners. unless buyers are advised by real estate agencies to just rent it out and don't report the income. Realtors are called 'real-a-snakes' in Ireland (partially because many are also lawyers).

I wonder what will be the tax mans take if I agree with the owner to pay my rent to his off shore account. So I never brought the money into thailand 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2023 at 2:59 PM, mokwit said:

You may at some point in the future need to give your bank your TIN to keep the account open bearing in mind the BoT being stricter about non resident accounts. SCB won't open a bank account now without a TIN. You may need a TIN in order to keep the account open in order to be able to show financial proof at extension time.

When did this come in with SCB? - I was there yesterday getting a new card, and had no issues... also informed my credit card would be sent to my home address, no changes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stat said:

I wonder what will be the tax mans take if I agree with the owner to pay my rent to his off shore account. So I never brought the money into thailand

If the Thai RD adopts the principles of remittance used in the UK for their remittance-based system of income taxation for non-domiciled tax residents with foreign income, similar to what is being discussed for expat tax residents in Thailand:

A taxable remittance also occurs where a service is provided in the UK for the benefit of the individual or any other relevant person and the consideration for that service is met using the individual’s foreign income or gains.

Services provided in the UK

• You transfer some of your foreign income from your overseas account to the overseas account of a trader who has provided you with a service in the UK.
  • You transfer some of your foreign income to the overseas account of a friend in exchange for using his cottage in the UK for a week.

HMRC Residence, Domicile and Remittance Basis Manual:  RDRM33050 - Remittance Basis: Practical Examples of Remittances to the UK

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, stat said:

I wonder what will be the tax mans take if I agree with the owner to pay my rent to his off shore account. So I never brought the money into thailand 🙂

The British guidelines posted by Guavaman mean that "remittance" does not have to be a bank transfer.  It is any way that makes use of offshore income to get an economic advantage (goods, services, whatever) onshore.

One can only hope that the Thais will say a "remittance" is a remittance.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

When did this come in with SCB? - I was there yesterday getting a new card, and had no issues... also informed my credit card would be sent to my home address, no changes.

Apparently they won't open a new account without a TIN now. Not hearing/experiencing request for TIN before they will allow you to do anything, BUT this may come. I can see a possible situation where you might have to provide a TIN to maintain the account.

14 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Apparently they won't open a new account without a TIN now. Not hearing/experiencing request for TIN before they will allow you to do anything, BUT this may come. I can see a possible situation where you might have to provide a TIN to maintain the account.

Yea right, how many Thais have a TIN?.....I bet most Thais do not have one....

I can see conversations being held behind closed, particularly by the 61 Countries who have DTA's with Thailand.

Along the lines of ' You have less than 4 million Thais paying income tax, suggest you sort our your own internal affairs, before thinking about taxing Citizens of other Countries '

3 hours ago, tomkenet said:

For us married guys.

What about the wife gets an overseas bank account.

You both remit half of your needs. Should reduce the tax significantly to share the income 50/50 

True, and kids have bank accounts... and kids don't have to pay tax, and kids can gift to you.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And where might you be seeing that?  (Needing a TIN)

In Australia and most western countries, banks require a Tax Number or they withold part of the 'earnings' and report that to their Tax Dept.

Likely that one day Thailand will also adopt the same practice - if directed by Thai Govt (very suprised if SCB has already done that).

Also a possibility that in order to receive an extension in the future, a TIN and last year's tax certificate/return will be required (years away). 

3 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

I can see conversations being held behind closed, particularly by the 61 Countries who have DTA's with Thailand. Along the lines of ' You have less than 4 million Thais paying income tax, suggest you sort our your own internal affairs, before thinking about taxing Citizens of other Countries '

Huh? The DTAs with Thailand already give Thailand the right to tax certain foreign income belonging to foreign tax residents of Thailand (like, as a Yank, my IRA payout or my pension from Boeing, etc). Only because of their "remittance" requirement -- a domestic law, with no relationship to any DTA language -- to include "exempt if brought in in a later calendar year" have foreigners (along with Thai fat cats) been allowed to avoid Thai income tax.

Now, they're wising up, modifying their domestic remittance law to allow them to take full advantage of the DTA language giving them priority, or even exclusive taxation rights on certain foreign income belonging to tax resident foreign expats. Don't blame them for finally using the DTA agreement they signed to finally collect some tax on foreign income, that had been denied due to a stupid domestic law regarding "remittance."

Yes, the stupid remittance law will still be in place, which will still allow some, or maybe all, income from an expat to avoid taxation (if he doesn't need to bring that income into Thailand, ever). And the reason it will still be in place is because Thai fat cats still need it to shelter foreign income, which now, instead of being remitted in the following year, will stay abroad in Swiss ski chalet property, or used to buy yachts and private jets, to finally end up in Thailand for resale. Hey, Thailand, if you really want to fatten your coffer, do away with the remittance requirement and just tax foreign income -- like the rest of the civilized world does. Much harder for the fat cats to duck this.

Anyway, to somehow think the new proposed rule violates any language in any DTA is ridiculous. To the contrary -- just shows Thailand can finally make money by using the language of all those DTAs to its advantage.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Huh? The DTAs with Thailand already give Thailand the right to tax certain foreign income belonging to foreign tax residents of Thailand

Sure, that is not in doubt.

However, I do not think I will be the only one raising an eyebrow over this, especially when there are less than 4 million Thais paying income tax in Thailand, out of a population of some 7O odd million.

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

I can see conversations being held behind closed, particularly by the 61 Countries who have DTA's with Thailand.

Along the lines of ' You have less than 4 million Thais paying income tax, suggest you sort our your own internal affairs, before thinking about taxing Citizens of other Countries '

Thailands population is 69 million...

If only 4 million are paying taxes

That means 94% of the Thai population

pays NO tax on income....

Let that sink in.....

And they want farangs to pay their fair share...lol

This is beyond a joke....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Thailands population is 69 million...

If only 4 million are paying taxes

That means 94% of the Thai population

pays NO tax on income....

Let that sink in.....

And they want farangs to pay their fair share...lol

This is beyond a joke....

Most sheep are always ready and even obediently ask to be sheared.

• Haha 1