Gordon Ramsay’s group set to open 14 restaurants in Thailand

webfact

If his restaurants are anything like is cooking on YT or TikTok ... I'll pass.  He's such a poor cook, I can't even watch him.  Calling him a chef is an insult to 'chefs'.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Beef Wellington is made up of prime Beef Fillet where the hell in Thailand will you get that not from the buffalo farms up north it will have to come from abroad I had a piece of Beef Fillet the other week from Makro it cost me over 500 baht just for myself unless your prepared to pay 800/1,000 baht just for a main course don’t waste your time going there i reckon a full meal for two including a few drinks will be between 6,000/10,000 baht 

You need special mushrooms. Just ask the woman in Vic.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What are you talking about? The majority of people eating at foreign restaurants are foreigners in the first place. It is only people on tight budgets that dominate the ''i eat only thai food because it is cheaper'' and then a minority who simply only likes thai food.

I would actually already want to go and check it out for the fish and chips, beef wellington and macaroni cheese.

It's more or less KFC-food for higher prices. But hey, if fish'n chips is your highest level of "cuisine"....enjoy????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

Beef Wellington is made up of prime Beef Fillet where the hell in Thailand will you get that not from the buffalo farms up north it will have to come from abroad I had a piece of Beef Fillet the other week from Makro it cost me over 500 baht just for myself unless your prepared to pay 800/1,000 baht just for a main course don’t waste your time going there i reckon a full meal for two including a few drinks will be between 6,000/10,000 baht 

Hmm ... and yet, I get a whole tenderloin (frozen) from Makro, when available and looking good, for 800-1000 baht a kg.  Cut about 6 nice 'hockey puck' steaks from it, and have the ends to toy with as I please.

Why would I do anything with a tenderloin besides eat as a steak.  Save slow cooking for lesser quality cuts of meat.  Wrap a good steak in pastry ????  Save that silliness for a meat pie or sausage roll, as I want to taste the steak.

I've had BW ... not impressed, unless you just like looking at your food and snapping a photo.

Going out to a restaurant and ordering overpriced Mac & cheese ... Holy Buddha.  I order things I can't or won't make at home.  What idiot can't whip up Mac & cheese at home, to their liking.  I myself like ham & tomatoes added to Mac & cheese.

• Confused 3

25 minutes ago, kaneko86 said:

I could be wrong but as an Italian "delicious Macaroni cheese" by a Scottish chef doesn't really sound inviting to me...

17 Michelin stars & successful restaurants worldwide would suggest you are quite wrong - but what do Michelin, Masterchef & millions of diners world wide know, eh ??? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

It’s aimed at the wealthy Thais not your average punters as they won’t be getting fish and chips for less that 500 baht that’s a days salary to most anyway his restaurants are well over priced and over hyped

Kai is full of Thai’s eating fish & chips for 950 baht - there is a huge growing ‘middle class’ in Thailand with expendable income. 

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I would rather go get a Mc$hit Burger !

Or beans on toast ??? 

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

90% will likely be throwaway comments from the beans on toast crowd ????

Exactly… 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

20 hours ago, Sigmund said:

What are you making up  ? You think foreigners with good money (except the wealthy pensionners)  come to Thailand ?

Ever heard of Monaco, St Tropez,  the Cayman Islands, Switzerland, Croatia or Ibiza ?

This is the sad truth. The days of Thailand being able to attract wealthy tourists and ex-pats is in the rear view, for 20 different valid reasons, which have never been addressed by the "arrogant ones". The vast majority are low income, with some middle income tourists. There are some exceptions, of course. There are alot of 5 star properties here, and luxury villas. But, nothing like before. And I hear occupancy is way, way down in those properties.

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

It's more or less KFC-food for higher prices. But hey, if fish'n chips is your highest level of "cuisine"....enjoy????

‘Beans & toast crowd’ indeed….

… Just like the ‘7-11 steps crowd’, the ‘Gibleys crowd”, the “farm girl crowd”…,

These comments are just like the comments on the wine threads, coffee threads, phone threads, watch threads….

“regency & coke is better than expensive grape juice”…

“3-in-1 is as good as any overpriced over marketed bean”????

“My 7 year old Oppo works fine, the latest iPhone 15 is a fanboy ripoff”????

“Omega / Rolex is for showing off, I can tell the time on my phone”…????

”who wants an educated pale skinned model, give me a down to earth splay toed leathery farm girl any day of the week” ????

So many comments seem to be more of an internal justification for not being ‘in the market’…

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shetraveler said:

20 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The ones that like various different foods and not eat the same thing everyday ?

I eat Thai 90% of the time, well, toss in some food from Myanmar & make it 98%.  I don't see it as the same at all.

Not as varied as eating many differ t cuisines though is it ???

Thailand’s main cities, particularly Bangkok has an overwhelming variety of high quality international cuisines… 

Eating Thai food 90% of the time is perhaps for those living in the boondocks with limited options. 
No criticism of that, just criticism of those who think these high end international restaurants (such as Ramsay’s incommer) are rubbish, because in reality, they have no access to such cuisine due to their own situation (financial or location). 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Gordon Ramsay Restaurants has announced a new multi restaurant partnership with Thailand’s leading lifestyle operator, TANACHIRA Group.

As the restaurant group continues its ambitious expansion plans across Asia, where recent openings include four restaurants in South Korea and two restaurants in Malaysia, the partnership with TANACHIRA will immediately focus on opening two restaurants in the highly anticipated Emsphere Mall in Bangkok, opening on the Sukhumvit Road, December 2023, with a further twelve locations planned in the coming years.

The Emsphere Mall promises to be a go-to modern, luxury, retail destination, offering immersive shopping and dining experiences to both local residents and global travellers.

On the Mall’s ground floor, will be Bread Street Kitchen & Bar, a stylish and sophisticated, yet approachable all-day dining restaurant and bar. The menu features Gordon Ramsay classics including Beef Wellington, Fish & Chips and must have sides like Gordon’s delicious Macaroni cheese, as well as the world-famous Gordon Ramsay Sticky Toffee Pudding.

By Online Reporter

Full story: Hua Hin Today 2023-09-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Another group of high priced restaurants in high priced malls.  

EMQuartier seems to have a lot of great stores the only thing is that I seldom see anyone buying in any of them except Kinokuniya.

Just like all these office buldings that they are bulding I have a feeling that there is going ot be a bust in the next 10 years.

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who did you train under before you earned your Michelin stars ????  

Anyone can cook, and I'm as good or better than him.  Saw vids of him cooking ????

A total fails, and he ignored the obvious, and actually posted it.  Must have been a live broadcast or something.   Then saw a tik tok of makng some silly A$$ burger, that is literally impossible to eat.  Just for clicks I guess.

I don't put much stock in 'michelin' ratings.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Anyone can cook, and I'm as good or better than him.  Saw vids of him cooking ????

A total fails, and he ignored the obvious, and actually posted it.  Must have been a live broadcast or something.   Then saw a tik tok of makng some silly A$$ burger, that is literally impossible to eat.  Just for clicks I guess.

I don't put much stock in 'michelin' ratings.

There's always someone better on here, ???? and how can you make such a statement if you have never eaten any of his creations..........:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Didn't Jamie Oliver have a restaurant or restaurants in Thailand? How did that go?

I liked his modern Italian place that used to be on the ground floor of Siam Discovery (I think). Not cheap, but moderately priced for farang, and the food quite nice.

Seems though it, and many others (Outback Steakhouse and International House of Pancakes among them), fell victim to the COVID related loss of tourism income and drop in dining out.

The wife and I were passing thru Central Embassy in BKK lately, and noticed that the former Harrods restaurant there,which was relatively more expensive, also seems to have disappeared.

Screenshot_1.jpg.2505175ae94dc4f1d45fcef15feecc5b.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If his restaurants are anything like is cooking on YT or TikTok ... I'll pass.  He's such a poor cook, I can't even watch him.  Calling him a chef is an insult to 'chefs'.

First Ramsey will not be cooking.  second I think this restaurant will be like many.  For the 2024 business year, it will do great as a novelty.  Yes it will h ave it's regulars but I think most Thais will want to get their photo op of them and their food for facebook or IG and then that will be it.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

First Ramsey will not be cooking.  second I think this restaurant will be like many.  For the 2024 business year, it will do great as a novelty.  Yes it will h ave it's regulars but I think most Thais will want to get their photo op of them and their food for facebook or IG and then that will be it.

And hopefully not fail, like many of his business interests have.

Seems showing up is a 'Kiss of Death' for restaurants:

image.png.8b821c3df949eb679390922cdcd151ba.png

And you can't blame it on the pandemic:

image.png.f40a156d8c5324ca341a8a986a9331b0.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Seems you really have it in for the UK bloke, what is your USA problem.........? ????

Don't have any problem, as I just know BS when I see or smell it.  Celebrity anything ... sorry, I don't go ga ga over name dropping.

If he can make a bunch of money, in a new market, using his name, good for him.  One born every day ... not this lad.

If I want beef, I have nice steak.

If I want fish & chips, it wont be made with some flavorless cod.

And who the hell, over 10 yrs old, orders mac & cheese in restaurant.

And these are his 'specialties' ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s leading lifestyle operator, TANACHIRA Group.

I'd  say the claim above is quite a bit of PR puffery... IKEA, among others, might take issue with that.

I'd never heard of this group before, and when checking, see they're a relative newcomer in Thailand and have just a handful of mostly fashion brand related ventures... and not much in restaurants at all.

https://www.tanachira.co.th/

"TANACHIRA

Business Overview
TANACHIRA Group is the leading Thailand retailer importing world-famous lifestyle and fashion products. We manage three international brands and one self-owned brand."

From my reading, their most notable local holding seems to be the local rights for the Finnish home/lifestyle brand Marimekko.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Don't have any problem, as I just know BS when I see or smell it.  Celebrity anything ... sorry, I don't go ga ga over name dropping.

If he can make a bunch of money, in a new market, using his name, good for him.  One born every day ... not this lad.

If I want beef, I have nice steak.

If I want fish & chips, it wont be made with some flavorless cod.

And who the hell, over 10 yrs old, orders mac & cheese in restaurant.

And these are his 'specialties' ????

Have you ever been to any of his restaurants before ?