The Riviera Project at Jomtien

mike111

8 hours ago, NextG said:

You actually have Ratanakorn Market just behind. An excellent resource for inexpensive meat, fish, vegetables and fruit. But of course it doesn’t sound if you can cook or look after yourself in any kind of useful manner. So just down the road is Rompho Market for local precooked meals, bars, KISS restaurant and other restaurants of a decent size. Walking the other way is Back Fabrik; a German bakery covering breakfast, cold cuts etc

Lots of places before you even reach the beach road. 

+2

22 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I lived in a 2br 2bth 70sqm unit at Riviera Wongamat & would get the bill for the common fees (obviously I didn't pay it), IIRC it was a little over 45,000b pa so I would guess 650b per sqm. 

Condo maintenance fees are usually referred to as baht per square meter.  If the annual fee you mentioned is 45,000 baht, the monthly fee would be 3,750 baht.  If the unit size is your mentioned 70 sqm, then the condo fee would be 53.57 baht per square meter--3,750 divided by 70.   Condo fees for newer projects tend to be in the 50 baht a sqm range so your condo fee at Riviera Wongamat was about average for a newer project.  

In two earlier posts, we had one person mention that maintenance fees can be too high and another poster complain that after 5 years, condos start to look bad due to lack of maintenance.  My partner and I have lived in about a dozen different projects around Pattaya, plus two in Bangkok, and we have not seen deterioration to be the case--and we have lived in several projects over 10 years old and one that was around 30 years old. 

It's hard to say how a new project will be maintained but you can look with your eyes and see if an older project is being maintained before buying or renting.  I think there is less of a problem with newer projects because, in many cases, they are starting out with a more realistic condo fee.

I think when there is deterioration and lack of maintenance--and some projects do have it--in many cases it can be traced to a condo fee that is simply too small and the majority of the owners vote year after year to not increase the fee.   With a too-small fee, often the same fee from years ago--only the very basic things can be maintained and the project suffers.  

At the last condo we owned at, the maintenance fee was ether 40 or 45 baht a sqm, I can't remember which.   Nice older project, well maintained.  But, the set condo fee, 40 or 45 baht, from years ago, did not cover keeping the project well-maintained.  Rather than try to raise the fee, every year we were there, there was a special assessment to make up that year's difference. 

When the special assessment was figured in, the condo fee came to around 60 baht a sqm, which was about right for a smaller project with less than 200 units.  (Larger projects do get economies of scale--1,000 owners paying for the guard at the front gate, for example, rather than 200 owners.) We were happy to pay the special assessment because the condo was a big investment for us and we wanted to see the project maintained nicely and the condo maintain or increase its value--which it did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Condo maintenance fees are usually referred to as baht per square meter.  If the annual fee you mentioned is 45,000 baht, the monthly fee would be 3,750 baht.  If the unit size is your mentioned 70 sqm, then the condo fee would be 53.57 baht per square meter--3,750 divided by 70.   Condo fees for newer projects tend to be in the 50 baht a sqm range so your condo fee at Riviera Wongamat was about average for a newer project.  

Thanks, I quoted the annual fee per SQM but typically it is quoted on a monthly basis so 53.57 pm is a better metric. 

Given the quality of the common areas & facilities (4 swimming pools, 2 gyms, children's play room etc...) I think that's very reasonable but I wasn't impressed with the build quality of the actual condo unit itself so don't think I would ever buy there.... Would be happy to go back there as a renter though.

Edit: For a really great view of Riviera Wongamat Block B, check out this video (FFWD to 1:25 if the music isn't to your taste)... 

Unfortunately I no longer have the raw footage that was shot from a few angles but he opens way to late & was lucky not to have seriously injured himself. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Thanks, I quoted the annual fee per SQM but typically it is quoted on a monthly basis so 53.57 pm is a better metric. 

Given the quality of the common areas & facilities (4 swimming pools, 2 gyms, children's play room etc...) I think that's very reasonable but I wasn't impressed with the build quality of the actual condo unit itself so don't think I would ever buy there.... Would be happy to go back there as a renter though.

Edit: For a really great view of Riviera Wongamat Block B, check out this video (FFWD to 1:25 if the music isn't to your taste)... 

Unfortunately I no longer have the raw footage that was shot from a few angles but he opens way to late & was lucky not to have seriously injured himself. 

Thanks!

I just love it when developer says that all units were sold out when reality the "owners" just paid some ridiculous low booking fee. This is why in a year or 2 these finished building by the miracle of god suddenly have some units often offered at the discount because the buyer could not close the loan.

11 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Fortunately we have Google maps. Walking distances can be checked on there easily and also street view.

Do I need to reiterate?

You do not appear capable of looking after yourself. I have real people who live there and who walk to Ratanakorn every weekend for their shopping needs, grabbing a Bolt or shuttle bus back with their shopping. Also walking to the places mentioned. 
Whereas you appear incapable of preparing anything for yourself nor walking further than fifty metres to a restaurant. 
This from your previous posts of claiming there was nothing around here and there, in your justifying your need to stay in the ‘centre’. 
For normal, capable and mobile people the places mentioned are close enough and convenient. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NextG said:

Do I need to reiterate?

You do not appear capable of looking after yourself. I have real people who live there

Just curious, do your friends that stay there say anything about using the short cut from the back of the property towards the beach at night only I’ve read a couple of reports of people having problems with Soi Dogs at night. 

No problem for me as I always have an extendible umbrella in my bag when I’m going out which is enough to make them think twice but I was thinking it might be a problem for some people. 

25 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Just curious, do your friends that stay there say anything about using the short cut from the back of the property towards the beach at night only I’ve read a couple of reports of people having problems with Soi Dogs at night. 

No problem for me as I always have an extendible umbrella in my bag when I’m going out which is enough to make them think twice but I was thinking it might be a problem for some people. 

Haven’t heard any such reports. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NextG said:

Do I need to reiterate?

You do not appear capable of looking after yourself. I have real people who live there and who walk to Ratanakorn every weekend for their shopping needs, grabbing a Bolt or shuttle bus back with their shopping. Also walking to the places mentioned. 
Whereas you appear incapable of preparing anything for yourself nor walking further than fifty metres to a restaurant. 
This from your previous posts of claiming there was nothing around here and there, in your justifying your need to stay in the ‘centre’. 
For normal, capable and mobile people the places mentioned are close enough and convenient. 

Walk it then. It’s up to you. Just look at the map and street view before committing to live there.

You ok with that?

Also, tell your clients or tenants to do it before committing. You sound like a landlord or real estate agent.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2023 at 4:00 AM, champers said:

I read somewhere yesterday that many Chinese will be looking to sell up, so you could be spot on.

The collapse of Evergrande and other developers in China has left investors seriously out of pocket.

Could be that those that sought to profit from the return of the horde will be out of pocket.

Could be the best thing that happened to LOS though, as IMO the horde was destroying Thailand as a nice place to live.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Walk it then. It’s up to you. Just look at the map and street view before committing to live there.

You ok with that?

Also, tell your clients or tenants to do it before committing. You sound like a landlord or real estate agent.

More made up nonsense. You made a long post full of erroneous statements making it sound as if you knew something about the area, when in fact you knew nothing at all other than your interpretation of what you saw via Google. You stated foolishly that “was nothing around there, only a few eateries and not many markets”. Omitting one of the biggest if not the biggest fresh markets in Pattaya. Absolutely foolish. Also there are places of entertainment all around, from Rompho, Wat Boon and in between. The fact is that you didn’t know a single thing about the area, but you pretended that you did. 
When caught out, you state babbling on about me being an estate agent. Pathetic. Grow up, get off your keyboard and go outside. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Could be that those that sought to profit from the return of the horde will be out of pocket.

Could be the best thing that happened to LOS though, as IMO the horde was destroying Thailand as a nice place to live.

And yet the building continues at pace. Wyndham announced a new development this week in Wongamat, 30+ storeys.

There is still a belief in the industry that building is required to meet future demand brought about by the EEC scheme.

As an example, a big deal is in the offing for Taiwan to have their own industrial estate in the EEC. Those moving from Taiwan (management, presumably) will need places to live.

5 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Skypark Lucean Jomtien Pattaya | Live Your Life High

Jomtien Second Rd, a few hundred meters from intersection with Tappraya.  Heading south it's on the right, ie on the north bound lane approaching Tappraya.

Handy for Kiss restaurant.

Edited by champers

1 hour ago, NextG said:

More made up nonsense. You made a long post full of erroneous statements making it sound as if you knew something about the area, when in fact you knew nothing at all other than your interpretation of what you saw via Google. You stated foolishly that “was nothing around there, only a few eateries and not many markets”. Omitting one of the biggest if not the biggest fresh markets in Pattaya. Absolutely foolish. Also there are places of entertainment all around, from Rompho, Wat Boon and in between. The fact is that you didn’t know a single thing about the area, but you pretended that you did. 
When caught out, you state babbling on about me being an estate agent. Pathetic. Grow up, get off your keyboard and go outside. 

Maps and Google street view don’t lie ????

I can see everything.

If you bought a place there to let out you will find a high turnover and short term lets, because people don’t fall for bs these days. The era of the sales pitch is over for everyone but the most rushed.

If you’re trapped in there now trying to make the best of the situation you have only yourself to blame.

Edited by JimTripper

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Maps and Google street view don’t lie ????

I can see everything.

If you bought a place there to let out you will find a high turnover and short term lets, because people don’t fall for bs these days. The era of the sales pitch is over for everyone but the most rushed.

If you’re trapped in there now trying to make the best of the situation you have only yourself to blame.

You couldn’t see the biggest market in Pattaya…

You ‘chose’ to live in the centre and complain that you saw only ‘bikies’ nor could you make any friends. You complain that you cannot meet a decent woman. You complain about ‘simp’ service and that Thailand has ‘no edge’ but yet you cannot carry your groceries a few hundred metres ‘in the heat’, nor live a ‘normal’ life in preparing your own meals. 
You don’t sound a capable nor even remotely successful as a human being and therefore your opinions won’t be valid for even the ‘average’ person. Just an opinion of course. 
I don’t own anything there nor do I work in Thailand. We can all speculate. I don’t mind if you do, so I hope you don’t mind if I do too. 

Edited by NextG

13 hours ago, NextG said:

You couldn’t see the biggest market in Pattaya…

You ‘chose’ to live in the centre and complain that you saw only ‘bikies’ nor could you make any friends. You complain that you cannot meet a decent woman. You complain about ‘simp’ service and that Thailand has ‘no edge’ but yet you cannot carry your groceries a few hundred metres ‘in the heat’, nor live a ‘normal’ life in preparing your own meals. 
You don’t sound a capable nor even remotely successful as a human being and therefore your opinions won’t be valid for even the ‘average’ person. Just an opinion of course. 
I don’t own anything there nor do I work in Thailand. We can all speculate. I don’t mind if you do, so I hope you don’t mind if I do too. 

But, but, but you said…

Nevermind ????

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

But, but, but you said…

Nevermind ????

Good that you decided to ???? instead of basing your ‘opinions’ on what you saw via Google, coupled your own ineptitude and discontent and then posting the results as a fait accompli. 

Even when I lived on the beach road, I would carry my shopping by hand where I could have easily jumped on a songthaew. Far longer than the distances that you seem to think are out of the question. You make yourself sound totally incapable and totally dependent on the service of others, whilst denouncing them as ‘simps’ for doing so….

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JimTripper said:

But, but, but you said…

Nevermind ????

Real people, meaning people whom I know. Actual people, rather than Google….

It seems you assumed clients/tenants; you were incorrect in that assumption too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 4:24 PM, sampson said:

Riviera condos seem to have a good reputation and are expensive.  Expect very small rooms but high quality amenities.  I think you are talking about Ocean Drive here on second road, which is pretty much brand new.  There are very few lights on in there at night.  If you rent a room in there then there is a good chance it will never have been lived in

That's a constant in Pattaya, not just Riviera. Tiny but overpriced shoeboxes with awful ventilation. Case of Siam Oriental Tropical Garden for instance (Boasting beautiful glass with no windows, making it perfect glasshouses to die inside unless you run aircon). No wonder long time residents on those places live with their front door and little windows open.

Besides, electricity prices have doubled in a year, so keeping a room cool on aircon these days can result into a steep bill. Those kind of rooms are shiny and in tune to what the western tourist demand, but stay a month in there and you'll develop some form of claustrophobia. Not to mention how much you 'll sweat.

Oh well! Facilities are usually awesome, that's true. Especially when you do not cross savages peeing in the pool, playing their annoying bluetooth ghetto blasters or shouting on the phone as if they were alone hunting bears on some remote steppe beyond the Urals.

Give me a fancyless and old place, better adapted to the climate and quieter too. Needless to say cheaper.

On 10/13/2023 at 12:25 PM, Thorix said:

That's a constant in Pattaya, not just Riviera. Tiny but overpriced shoeboxes with awful ventilation. Case of Siam Oriental Tropical Garden for instance (Boasting beautiful glass with no windows, making it perfect glasshouses to die inside unless you run aircon). No wonder long time residents on those places live with their front door and little windows open.

Besides, electricity prices have doubled in a year, so keeping a room cool on aircon these days can result into a steep bill. Those kind of rooms are shiny and in tune to what the western tourist demand, but stay a month in there and you'll develop some form of claustrophobia. Not to mention how much you 'll sweat.

Oh well! Facilities are usually awesome, that's true. Especially when you do not cross savages peeing in the pool, playing their annoying bluetooth ghetto blasters or shouting on the phone as if they were alone hunting bears on some remote steppe beyond the Urals.

Give me a fancyless and old place, better adapted to the climate and quieter too. Needless to say cheaper.

Do you mean people peeing in the pool under the water, or just wizzing in it from outside?

13 minutes ago, Thorix said:

When you see a yellow halo around someone you know...

Sounds funny, but I actually do use the pool here pretty often and have been more concerned lately. I do get water in my mouth each time. I'm actively swimming, not just wading. The pool is not that large.

Does chlorine or whatever they treat the water with kill off bacteria and ehstever else from piss and body fluids?

I don't think the water is ever changed, just treated.

I'm pretty sure the kids are probably pissing in the water. Not sure about the adults.

Edited by JimTripper