Prescription or not?

zenobit

Is there an online portal in Thailand where you can find out which medicines are officially available over-the-counter and which are prescription-only?

I ask because I discovered an online distributor of generic drugs from various categories ... and of course I would like to check whether the medicines I have chosen (e.g. "Eszoplicone") are legal and available over the counter in Thailand or not before ordering.   

Thank you in advance for your answers ????

zenobit

Edited by zenobit

I seriously doubt they are legal and importation of drugs is illegal in any case without official approval (although some are mislabeled).  Mims can be useful if you learn to read it and can sign on (seems to have returned to only medical professionals).  But such sleeping pill drugs are normally not OTC and tightly controlled in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I seriously doubt they are legal and importation of drugs is illegal in any case without official approval (although some are mislabeled).  Mims can be useful if you learn to read it and can sign on (seems to have returned to only medical professionals).  But such sleeping pill drugs are normally not OTC and tightly controlled in Thailand.

Mims is the best place to find drug info but they have become total (expletive deleted) regarding access to the database (I used to have access).  So, if you have a specific drug or category of drugs, that you wish to find the legal status, ask @Sheryl

In the US they are open with information about drugs (e.g., drugs.com) but so many drugs are prescription.
Here in the LOS, they are totally closed about providing mere commoners with information, but most drugs with the exception of narcotics, drugs that are narcotic precursors, and some odd-ball nootropics are all OTC.  It might be easier to find the list of illegal drugs than trying to find which are OTC.  

Lunesta and Ambian - by prescription from a hospital.  And expect to pay total dollar from the hospital's pharmacy.  Not cheap at all.
If you have sleep issues you will find other avenues (speaking from experience) from diazapam (be very very careful) which is available from smaller government hospitals (which don't carry Lunesta or Ambian) to using antihisamines (e.g., Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride), Melatonin, and herbal supplements.

Talk with Sheryl  (who has access to Mims) or your pharmacists (although talking to Thai pharmacists about drug categorization can be an exercise in futility).

• Thanks 1

In my experience, there isn't really a proper prescription system in place in Thailand. It's either available at a pharmacy without a prescription or it's hospital pharmacies only after seeing a doctor (benzos, opiates etc..). Of course, there are pharmacies that will illegally sell you medicines that are supposed to only be available at hospitals like benzos and opiates.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

"...and importation of drugs is illegal in any case without official approval..."

Am I understanding this correctly: in Thailand you are GENERALLY not allowed to purchase medication from a foreign online seller without a permit? ????

Just now, zenobit said:

Am I understanding this correctly: in Thailand you are GENERALLY not allowed to purchase medication from a foreign online seller without a permit? ????

Correct - import requires license.  Normally not available to individual.  Some get away with small amounts by mail - but still not legal. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

"...Here in the LOS, they are totally closed about providing mere commoners with information, but most drugs with the exception of narcotics, drugs that are narcotic precursors, and some odd-ball nootropics are all OTC.  It might be easier to find the list of illegal drugs than trying to find which are OTC...."

Fully agree ... and yes, there are indeed lists with classifications of banned substances (Narco-list and Psycho-list), but I find it very risky to assume that substances not listed there are legal. ????

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

"...You are not allowed to import medicines without an FDA permit (which can usually not be obtained)..."

Thank you very much for the detailed information. ????

It leaves me a bit speechless and is definitely not what I was hoping for, but at least I know now. 

By the way, do you have any idea if the medicine I was talking about ordering online ("Eszoplicone") is available over the counter in Thailand?

However, I think I already know the answer. ????????

Not available in Thailand period. No registered brand of it here.

If/when it becomes available here it will certainly be controlled, drugs of this type all are here.

Which in Thailand means getting it from a hospital pharmacy. 

• Thanks 1

Internet search for "Table of Controlled Narcotic Drugs In Thailand" and "Table of Controlled Psychotropic Substances in Thailand" finds official documents about what is not allowed. Side note: my research shows Modafinil (benign alternative to yaba / amp) is not on the radar, controlled or not, though I haven't seen it available here through any channels.

40 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

I asked BKKH if they carry Generic medicine. Was advised they don’t stock but can order for me… might check with your local hospital 

Since the drug in question is not registered for use in Thailand no point in asking anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

A very interesting post to read of the various restrictions or not. When I lived in Thailand, insulin for my diabetes was my primary concern. Each month, when visiting the diabetic clinic at my local Thai Government hospital, I had to sit a very long time (2 hours or more) waiting to see the doctor for a signed prescription for insulin (Mixtard in my case) which enabled me to purchase it from the hospital pharmacy. So, so different here in Cambodia. I can buy as much insulin as I want over the counter at my local pharmacy - no prescription needed! I keep enough insulin stocked in my refrigerator that could be potentionally lethal. I enquired about opioid painkillers - morphine a definite "no, no" but he could supply others "over the counter" without prescription.

Thailand is hopeless in medicines. At least if i have to believe my wife's niece.

She is a pharmacist and pissed about the Thai system of medicines.

She is even considering to move to Oz.

She will have to start additional studies, find house and so on, but first finances.

In Oz she makes a real chance, as Oz seems to have problems with pharmacists (too less). I red not many young people in Oz wants to be a pharmacist.

Be aware on line shops can be a scam. They sell ,you think, the right medicine, but are just soja pills or whatever, not working at all.

3 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Thailand is hopeless in medicines. At least if i have to believe my wife's niece.

She is a pharmacist and pissed about the Thai system of medicines.

She is even considering to move to Oz.

She will have to start additional studies, find house and so on, but first finances.

In Oz she makes a real chance, as Oz seems to have problems with pharmacists (too less). I red not many young people in Oz wants to be a pharmacist.

Be aware on line shops can be a scam. They sell ,you think, the right medicine, but are just soja pills or whatever, not working at all.

Not sure what you are saying above as have not had any issues with medications bought in Thailand over the many years I have been here - but I don't buy from street sellers.  What you buy from pharmacy is real - what you obtain from hospital is real - what you order from the several mail order pharmacy sources in Thailand are real.  Obviously if you buy from a social media seller your millage may vary.  But in general Thailand seems to be fine for most things.  There is an issue with not having enough pharmacists however so perhaps that is what your niece means - most drugs are being sold by those that are not pharmacists and may not be the best choice for what is being treated.  But doctors are not expensive to consulate and get better advice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure what you are saying above as have not had any issues with medications bought in Thailand over the many years I have been here - but I don't buy from street sellers.  What you buy from pharmacy is real - what you obtain from hospital is real - what you order from the several mail order pharmacy sources in Thailand are real.  Obviously if you buy from a social media seller your millage may vary.  But in general Thailand seems to be fine for most things.  There is an issue with not having enough pharmacists however so perhaps that is what your niece means - most drugs are being sold by those that are not pharmacists and may not be the best choice for what is being treated.  But doctors are not expensive to consulate and get better advice.

Well thats good you dont have the problems, the medicines are there.

Im not sucking the story out of my thumb, as it seems there are problems with medicines.

I would have to ask here then on what she specific (medicines ) means. But she is really not happy as I told and is related to medicines and system.

And still online can be a disaster. Im just giving a hint, as nowadays, everybody can set up

a site, promising everything. There are very ingenious scams possible.

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

A very interesting post to read of the various restrictions or not. When I lived in Thailand, insulin for my diabetes was my primary concern. Each month, when visiting the diabetic clinic at my local Thai Government hospital, I had to sit a very long time (2 hours or more) waiting to see the doctor for a signed prescription for insulin (Mixtard in my case) which enabled me to purchase it from the hospital pharmacy. So, so different here in Cambodia. I can buy as much insulin as I want over the counter at my local pharmacy - no prescription needed! I keep enough insulin stocked in my refrigerator that could be potentionally lethal. I enquired about opioid painkillers - morphine a definite "no, no" but he could supply others "over the counter" without prescription.

Actually insulin can be bought over the counter in a pharmacy in Thailand too. And always has been.   Most medications can, big exceptions being barcotics, pyschotropics, hypnotics and steroids.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1