UK 'Smarty' and 'Three' mobile phone suspension of service after 60 days overseas

Little 'heads up' on something that may affect some UK mobile phone users living outside the UK. Recently been in touch with a friend of mine who is married to an Indonesian lady. The go to Indonesia couple of times a year for three months at a time. He has a UK SIM on the 'Smarty' network.  He's had this SIM for several years and receives SMS messages in Indonesia.

He recently wanted to do a bank transfer which required a code by SMS from his UK bank. He didn't receive the SMS because Smarty suspended his service. They now suspend service if they detect a SIM outside the UK for more than 60 days in 12 months (see below 8.1 j ). He has contacted Three network and they say they now have a similar clause. 

Screenshot_2023-09-29-08-50-57-527-edit_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

As a follow up I know a number of posters use giffgaff sims. Just looking at their "Fair Usage Policy" -

https://www.giffgaff.com/terms#giffgaff-fair-usage-policy

Under Roaming -

What to avoid:
Using our services for the first time outside of the UK, using a large volume of your allowance (be that text, calls or data) in the EU and our other selected destinations (excluding the UK), or using our services and travelling within the EU and our other selected destinations (excluding the UK) for prolonged periods which don’t follow reasonable consumer holiday and travel patterns and behaviour. If you use our services outside the UK in the EU and our other selected destinations for 63 or more days in any four-month period and you cannot demonstrate prevailing use or presence in the UK this is likely to be deemed to be an unfair use of our services. When this happens charges will apply (see below), but we will always contact you 14 days before this time to make you aware of this. These charges will cease to apply when your behaviour is in accordance with this policy.

So not quite as equivocal as the Three statement but it surprises me however that according to, I think,  @scubascuba3 they will send a new sim to a Thai address?

The statement above is also word for word O2 fair usage policy (who are giffgaff's network) and the potential supposed charging penalties do not seem to be a problem......currently......

Vodafone is similar so @HauptmannUK perhaps your friend should try one of providers using Voda or O2 networks.

37 minutes ago, topt said:

As a follow up I know a number of posters use giffgaff sims. Just looking at their "Fair Usage Policy" -

https://www.giffgaff.com/terms#giffgaff-fair-usage-policy

Under Roaming -

So not quite as equivocal as the Three statement but it surprises me however that according to, I think,  @scubascuba3 they will send a new sim to a Thai address?

The statement above is also word for word O2 fair usage policy (who are giffgaff's network) and the potential supposed charging penalties do not seem to be a problem......currently......

Vodafone is similar so @HauptmannUK perhaps your friend should try one of providers using Voda or O2 networks.

There you go

https://www.giffgaff.com/freesim-international