Living in the present

bignok

I think the present can be determined by a small event, but not nano second. 

If you are going for a great steak dinner that lasts taking bite after bite of delicious steak, that is your present environment, present enjoyment.  Same with sex unless you finish in a second.  Enjoying the experience which lasts a short period of time.

Edited by bkk6060

There are a lot of apparent paradoxes caused by language. Humans have a need to say 'now' sometimes and that is the word we use, or the 'present'. The concept isn't difficult to grasp as even babies can use the terms correctly. The fact that you can't think of a definition that satisfies you is neither here not there. Present is the momentary intersection between past and future. There I just made one up.  

If you really are truly puzzled and want to know exactly about time and language read Wittgenstein. or if you are simply interested in concepts you can read Proust for a literary understanding or Stephen Hawkins' Brief History of Time for a concise, elegant and easy to understand book.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bignok said:

What is the present? Current minute, hour or day or week?

How are we supposed to live in something that cant be defined or can it?

When I saw the headline "Living in the present" I thought this might be an interesting topic.

And then the first comment. Really? Is that the best you can come up with?

The present is the present. Like: You look at a beautiful girl and you smile. That is the present.

If you think about that your ex looked similar or you think about what you want to do with this one in the near of far future that is not the present. It's not really that difficult. 

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Go on one of those meditation courses you were banging on about and you might just find out.

It won't help the whiners on the forum though. They need it the most. I lived 10 lives in 20 years. I don't really need it but will do it anyway. 

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

It won't help the whiners on the forum though. They need it the most. I lived 10 lives in 20 years. I don't really need it but will do it anyway. 

I thought you'd been on here before.............:whistling:..............????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1