Moving Back To USA Stories

JimTripper

23 hours ago, sirineou said:

Was going there next month for my daughters birthday. but she is starting at a new law firm the 16th and will be very busy the next couple of months, so I changed my plans for early January. We were in Florida, daughter still is,.

Not looking forward to the 24-30 hr flight. 

Where are you heading for? 

You are right. Real-estate and rents back home is crazy. 

I am waiting for the bubble to pop .  so I can jump in and do some bargain  hunting. 

opposite side for me DC....cant get much further.....usually takes me 2 days with layovers  ????

19 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

could that be because money does buy some happiness, even if fleeting? It sure buys security, nicer houses and cars and better food - right?

money buys goods n services and helps you achieve your goals....imo....... is fleeting as some cant seem to stop chasing the dragon.........when it is enough? is there a limit? seems not to some...

• Like 1

This is interesting, #9 being W.V, cheapest housing, but crap job/education, which I wouldn't care about.

Actually lived there, as 1st airlines I worked for was based there.  1979/80 and love it,   Beckley WV, and stones throw from New River Gouge.   Didn't even have a completely paved road N to S (hwy 19) back then.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cx8A78ILfFR/

On 10/5/2023 at 4:29 PM, TimeMachine said:

Australia being a little brother to US, I would return to from Thailand. But I have a chain around my ankle and to that a heavy weight.

Yeah but seriously Thailand was better 10 plus years ago when there were less people, less visa issues and people seemed calmer and more chilled. Not that they are not pretty chilled now. But I dream of the past and me and my Time Machine shall visit Thailand 1985 again. Just waiting on parts.

"Australia being a little brother to US, ...."

Not sure many ozzies would acept that comment.

Australians have a very different mindset / different attitudes / to Americans and thank goodness for that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I lived in Thailand full time for just over a decade.

I'd lived in Singapore with my Thai wife again for about a decade before we moved to Thailand

I liked Thailand when I retired early for about two years then boredom set in.

When our son went to college in the US and after a week said he was never coming back, that set the ball rolling.

My wife was already frustrated with her career, since in Singapore she'd been a pretty high flier, yet struggled in Thailand to get a decent engineering job as a woman.

So we made the move back to the US.

Can't say I regret it.

My wife landed pretty quickly a DoD job on the local AFB, and I took a part time job with Delta Airlines, which got me out of the retirement boredom trap.

As for cost. we already owned a house here which negated a lot of the housing costs that many expats face when repatriating, which for many get's them really hamstrung.

After that, we lived in Thailand a pretty Western lifestyle, which is pricey compared to the real Western lifestyle, and I would ponder that our day to day expenditure is actually less than in Thailand.

So now I think we get the best of all worlds.

With my job at Delta, we travel free to our home in Thailand every year (post covid I might add) but both of us are happier with work, and close to our kids

I was in your neighborhood a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately due to my sister's unexpected death. I had actually been considering moving back next year, but with her gone, having no wife nor interest in one, no job nor interest in one, and the eerie quietness while I was there, I couldn't do it.

I realize, during the day that people are working or in school, but living there for 30 years, it is different now. Nobody on the streets, in Starbucks, the mall, my local bar. I'm sure there are busy times, but I didn't see much activity in the week I was there. No drag racing on Eighth Street. Maybe it's true, you can't go back. 

2nd week was with my kids in Minneapolis area, a little more hustle and bustle, but I wouldn't want to live there again for many reasons. 

Here, in Thailand, is constant LIFE. Sure, lots of bars and street carts, motorbikes everywhere, etc. But with all the people outside, even though I don't talk to or know most of them, it's just an overall better vibe for this old man. 

Given all that, when my health deteriorates, I'm sure I'll return. Hopefully my savings will still be enough to buy a place. BTW, my new address is Box Elder. ????

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

This is interesting, #9 being W.V, cheapest housing, but crap job/education, which I wouldn't care about.

Actually lived there, as 1st airlines I worked for was based there.  1979/80 and love it,   Beckley WV, and stones throw from New River Gouge.   Didn't even have a completely paved road N to S (hwy 19) back then.

Scratch that, think I'd return to TN, as better tax burden, and housing same price ranges; $25-75k.  Depending how much sweat equity you want to invest.

Not going anywhere, but nice to know it's available.

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

money buys goods n services and helps you achieve your goals....imo....... is fleeting as some cant seem to stop chasing the dragon.........when it is enough? is there a limit? seems not to some...

I was asking those questions when I was a teenager... everyone is different. At one time, I thought I would work forever because I loved being in business - then it stopped being fun and I stopped working at 48... 

I have a friend who was a lawyer but only managed about 3 years of gainful employment in his 30s... he lived very very stoically. Then in his 50s he took a government job which paid very little. He is still working at 73 and still living in a small rent controlled apartment that he was in when he went to law school. He lives alone and has poor social skills and is very unhappy. 

We make our own lives - money plays a part... I would not want to live in the manner that I did when in my 20s or 30s... money enables a transcendence in comfort. That's nice. 

5 hours ago, frantick said:

I was in your neighborhood a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately due to my sister's unexpected death. I had actually been considering moving back next year, but with her gone, having no wife nor interest in one, no job nor interest in one, and the eerie quietness while I was there, I couldn't do it.

I realize, during the day that people are working or in school, but living there for 30 years, it is different now. Nobody on the streets, in Starbucks, the mall, my local bar. I'm sure there are busy times, but I didn't see much activity in the week I was there. No drag racing on Eighth Street. Maybe it's true, you can't go back. 

2nd week was with my kids in Minneapolis area, a little more hustle and bustle, but I wouldn't want to live there again for many reasons. 

Here, in Thailand, is constant LIFE. Sure, lots of bars and street carts, motorbikes everywhere, etc. But with all the people outside, even though I don't talk to or know most of them, it's just an overall better vibe for this old man. 

Given all that, when my health deteriorates, I'm sure I'll return. Hopefully my savings will still be enough to buy a place. BTW, my new address is Box Elder. ????

I guess you are a resident of 'Americas mailbox'

On 10/5/2023 at 8:49 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I

With my job at Delta, we travel free to our home in Thailand every year (post covid I might add) but both of us are happier with work, and close to our kids

Are you some high level executive or management with DL who gets free flights on Skyteam member airlines? 

I am not  commenting SIMPLY to criticize a tiny point of your valuable post without adding anything. I would just like to mention that ID90, ZED fares and employee discount tickets are not free, even if the minimal cost involved  seems near free, and Delta does not fly to Thailand nor any US airline at this point.

I used to fly to "free" Bangkok back in the day on cockpit jumpsuits with United and Northwest (Northwest usually however made me pay the Narita departure tax as far as I remember), and moved to a business class seat usually! Good luck these days getting any business seat to Thailand on standby these days with the easy upgrades.

No visa, no hotel reservation. Never ever questioned no matter how many times a year visa exempt. A better time.

If I knew what would happen over the last 26 years or so I probably never would have bought my condo in Thailand.

Edited by Captain Monday

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Are you some high level executive or management with DL who gets free flights on Skyteam member airlines? 

I am not  commenting SIMPLY to criticize a tiny point of your valuable post without adding anything. I would just like to mention that ID90, ZED fares and employee discount tickets are not free, even if the minimal cost involved  seems near free, and Delta does not fly to Thailand nor any US airline at this point.

I used to fly to "free" Bangkok back in the day on cockpit jumpsuits with United and Northwest (Northwest usually however made me pay the Narita departure tax as far as I remember), and moved to a business class seat usually! Good luck these days getting any business seat to Thailand on standby these days with the easy upgrades.

No visa, no hotel reservation. Never ever questioned no matter how many times a year visa exempt. A better time.

If I knew what would happen over the last 26 years or so I probably never would have bought my condo in Thailand.

We work both the  Delta and United contracts at my station

Delta I pay a nominal fee per segment as an S4, United as an SAX5 is free with a $50 a year fee. 

We normally fly to Thailand on United using codeshares on ANA from NRT

But it's the same for both Delta and United that we can use codeshares as part of our flight benefits

Unfortunately we don't get ZED anymore

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Yes, and mirrors my experiences (ex NWA), and TBH, if couldn't fly First Class for cheap, I'd never would have made a trip to TH in 1999.   

Simply too far to be stuck in the back of the bus, unless empty and had the whole center section to myself.

From Oct 2000 to Mar 2001, I actually commuted to work (MEM) from TH, though spent more time in TH, trading shifts and using up all my sick & OJI time ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, and mirrors my experiences (ex NWA), and TBH, if couldn't fly First Class for cheap, I'd never would have made a trip to TH in 1999.   

Simply too far to be stuck in the back of the bus, unless empty and had the whole center section to myself.

From Oct 2000 to Mar 2001, I actually commuted to work (MEM) from TH, though spent more time in TH, trading shifts and using up all my sick & OJI time ????

The problem all nonrev's are facing right now is availability.

With the pilot shortage flights are limited they are so full it's getting difficult to get a seat.

We're a seasonal station, and usually passenger loads drop like a rock after labor day. Not this year.

We're oversold on mainline flights to Denver and Chicago almost every day

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The problem all nonrev's are facing right now is availability.

With the pilot shortage flights are limited they are so full it's getting difficult to get a seat.

We're a seasonal station, and usually passenger loads drop like a rock after labor day. Not this year.

We're oversold on mainline flights to Denver and Chicago almost every day

I used to pull up the loads, if FC wasn't available and unless the back was empty enough, I didn't bother ????  Talk about being  spoiled ????

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2023 at 2:58 AM, GinBoy2 said:

We normally fly to Thailand on United using codeshares on ANA from NRT

But it's the same for both Delta and United that we can use codeshares as part of our flight benefits

I miss the days before those airlines started using codeshare flights from LAX to BKK and a business class fare was ~$3K. I used to enjoy flying on the upper deck of that Delta 747 all the way to BKK.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 4:42 AM, KhunLA said:

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/cheapest-places-to-live

On 10/6/2023 at 5:24 AM, KhunLA said:

Scratch that, think I'd return to TN, as better tax burden, and housing same price ranges; $25-75k.  Depending how much sweat equity you want to invest.

Not going anywhere, but nice to know it's available.

this is the new trend in the states for houses - material and labor still beating the new construction costs atm:

https://zerodown.com/homes-for-sale/tennessee/cheap-old-houses-for-sale

On 10/7/2023 at 9:15 AM, spidermike007 said:

There are a few spots I would consider in the US, if I got a job that paid $3 million a year or a sponsor who was willing to pay that. Until then, I will be a happy escapee. Life back there is too hard. People are having a hard time. The politics are out of control. Very little joy to be found in America, these days. It resembles Western Rome, circa 460ad, prior to the Goths sacking the city. 

You don't have to follow politics. Turn the TV off, buy a cabin on land somewhere and live your life without focusing on other people's problems. I guess you could get mugged at the grocery store 🤷🏻‍♂️.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, JimTripper said:

You don't have to follow politics. Turn the TV off, buy a cabin on land somewhere and live your life without focusing on other people's problems. I guess you could get mugged at the grocery store 🤷🏻‍♂️.

While are certainly correct, I live life much the same way here. I just got back from a month in the US and the level of anxiety, the dour attitude  alot of the people have, the near complete lack of humor, the stress levels that people are enduring, it just doesn't seem like a particularly pleasant or fulfilling life back there. Add in the silly cost of living and what do you have? A lifestyle only those fortunate enough to own land and a home free and clear, or the wealthy can enjoy. 

Of course anybody can carve out their own local paradise, but I'm so much happier here, so much more fulfilled. 

Edited by spidermike007

16 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I left after a first time visit in 2016 hoping to see a more pleasant, stress less lifestyle and  a one place where I was adding beautiful Asian woman to my daily's. It is also nice here that my SSA makes me more wealthy. My one problem here is the high humidity gets to me if no fan help.

you left thailand and never came back?

did you go back to california, what area?

Edited by JimTripper