Moving Back To USA Stories

JimTripper

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Stories about being retired in Thailand and changing your mind and moving back to the USA permanently.

Do you think anyone moving back to the USA will be on AN, to follow the happenings in Thailand, of SEA.  Don't think you'll be getting too many replies.

I certainly wouldn't, same as I don't follow any forums about the USA after leaving.  How bored do you have to be to do that?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, retarius said:

I am thinking seriously about moving away from Thailand. We have a home elsewhere where I can spend 90 days at a time, and will spend more time there, next year. I'm also considering buying somewhere in Europe, Portugal probably. My aims to spend more than 180 days out of Thailand to avoid ruinous taxes on my savings and income. 

I have a US passport, but frankly the state of the place and the people leave me cold, so it is not somewhere I would consider until it changes track. 

might want to check Portugal about taxes...saw an article yesterday about that!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, retarius said:

I'm also considering buying somewhere in Europe, Portugal probably.

Recent changes in the Golden visa program, and foreigner taxation in Portugal make it a more difficult place to move to.

"Portugal to scrap ‘unjust’ tax breaks for foreign residents "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/03/portugal-to-scrap-unjust-tax-breaks-for-foreign-residents

"Portugal to Apply New Golden Visa Changes Soon, Following President’s Approval "

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/portugal-to-apply-new-golden-visa-changes-soon-following-presidents-approval/#google_vignette

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

I lived in Bangkok for three years moving back to the states this past March.  I lived in Bangkok because I wanted to experience living overseas. But afterwards it just became annoying to me.  This was not my first choice but the retirement visa was good and easy.  Things are more expensive here in the US now but what can you do.

And no I didn’t come here because I hated my own country.  Or couldn’t make it financially or health insurance wise. As it seems that a majority of expats move here because of that.  Or their main hobby was vegetating and boozing it up. And whine because they blame their misfortunes on everything except themselves. So I had nothing much in common with them. 
I still keep up on what’s going on in Thailand.  Just as other countries which I have visited.  

Curious, did you more or less just hang out in BKK those 3 yrs, or get out & about and check out the whole country.

I met a couple tourist who after knowing I'm from USA, state they've been to the USA and didn't like.   Asked where, and they said NYC, but that's all ????

I'm flexible, and could live anywhere in the country, if not for smog season, so we live below Hua Hin, most of that time, except a visit to daughter in Krung Thep a couple times during smog season.  

Only visit the N during rainy season, and below us is good all year.

• Like 1

If anyone can survive in Los it is the Americans,  they have the best exchange rate on the planet, but many are still not happy, depression is a common factor either here or back home, I like the heat, that's what draws me here, I was considering Antalya until the war broke out and it was invaded by Russian's, apartment price were very cheap and easy to get residency, now prices they have more than tripled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Don't forget housing ,and Xanax every time you watch the news. :smile:

I have hard time not laughing when reading the news.  I can't believe people actually believe half the stuff the push down their throats.  The other half seems to be sillier than soap operas.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

We took an extended holiday in Spain and Portugal a few years ago thinking it was a spot to consider retirement.  I won't say we did an exhaustive research but our initial impression was that most of the residences were not single family homes but rather condo/apartment like.  

Also, virtually no one spoke English.  As challenging as it is in Thailand you usually can find someone who speaks some English.  I don't think I could learn  Portuguese or Spanish fast enough to make the transition. Then again a significant portion of the USA you now need to speak Spanish in order to function.  I lived in Houston for a period of time and certain regions of the city you could not do business in if you did not speak Spanish.  Same with Miami. 

Are you fluent in Thai?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

Fifteen years I lived in Thailand.  I speak fluent Thai and Issan.  There were very few areas of the country that I had not been.  Indeed, I traveled extensively all over SE Asia.  I lived just north of BKK for six years and the rest of it in the Hua Hin area.

I moved back to the States in 2019 when they changed the visa requirements that was going to make me deposit some 25K USD into a Thai bank or bring in 65K Bt a month.  No thanks.  I have been a lucky man and had more than enough money to do either.  Truth be told I was becoming rather bored with it in Thailand.  More importantly my daughter was asking me to come home.  I had no wife or SO nor children in Thailand and I always found it difficult to really to put down any roots since I could not own land.  I have been satisfied with my decision.  I do miss my friends and how unpredictable it can be.  I lived simply and modestly prior to my coming to Thailand.  I did the same while I was there.  I do the same thing now.

I don't even try to stay up to the minute with what does on here.  I let everyone else and the media do that.  Turn off the news at 6 p.m. and it's not to worry.

Land ownershiip is a big hurdle for me also. I dont want to retire in a condo or a rental. That rules Thailand out altogether for me as a permanent residence.

When I dont own I also keep moving around and it never feels like I'm settled in one place, but it's more of a James Bond situation where I'm always on the move. This feeling persists even with annual leases.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

im heading back in 2 weeks...may do a little car camping...or just go back to beach--off season rates....quite the shock of my thai apt to finding housing back home.....  $$$$

Was going there next month for my daughters birthday. but she is starting at a new law firm the 16th and will be very busy the next couple of months, so I changed my plans for early January. We were in Florida, daughter still is,.

Not looking forward to the 24-30 hr flight. 

Where are you heading for? 

You are right. Real-estate and rents back home is crazy. 

I am waiting for the bubble to pop .  so I can jump in and do some bargain  hunting. 

• Like 1