Tourist visa needs a re-entry stamp - question

A friend of mine arrived to BKK in the last week, he needs to leave to Vietnam for a few days and come back to Thailand,

He obtained his visa from the Thai embassy in Jakarta and valid  for 60 days, he's worrying if he leave the country and will need to apply for a new via again!

I am not sure can apply for a re-entry for a such type of tourist visa or not? I used to apply re-entries for a Non-B, Non-O,, several times,,, many years ago, but not sure about tourist visas are also under this category of re-entry of not?  

Anyone tried this before? please share your idea,  Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, mixmediana said:

Yes, I knew about this and I applied for it several times already, for Non-O types,

so, it applies for a tourist visa also? this what he needs to know, thanks!

Yes it does. 

He can obtain at his immigration office or at airport. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only additional point is to ensure they know that the re-entry permit purely protects the existing permission to stay. When he returns, the expiry date of the permission to stay will be the same as when they left. Some have erroneously assumed that the time out of Thailand will not eat into the 60 days you received from entering with a tourist visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll need a re-entry permit soon to keep my 60 day visa alive. Is it safe to leave it until the day of departure  and turn up at Bkk 3 hours pre-flight, or should I go on a previous day? Also is the office open 24/7 or 9-5? Thanks

5 minutes ago, LisuLover said:

I’ll need a re-entry permit soon to keep my 60 day visa alive. Is it safe to leave it until the day of departure  and turn up at Bkk 3 hours pre-flight, or should I go on a previous day? Also is the office open 24/7 or 9-5? Thanks

There is zero point in doing that .

Read BritTim post above 

In your case either just exit and return visa exempt or attend immigration and obtain 30 day extension.

Why are you exiting Thailand and returning

• Like 1

If you are not eligible for a visa exemption on entry (which may well mean a re-entry permit for your existing tourist entry makes sense) then it is a good solution to get your re-entry permit at the airport on the day of your departure. Make sure you do understand that it just prevents your permission to stay from being cancelled and does not add any days to your existing permission to stay.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, buick said:

i was one of those people that got a re-entry permit on a tourist visa and thought i would still get a total of 60 days of permitted stay even though i left the country for 10 days.  no sir !!!

It would be very unusual for someone with 60 day stamp and obtain reentry permit.

Better option would be to exit and reenter visa exempt..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

There is zero point in doing that .

Read BritTim post above 

In your case either just exit and return visa exempt or attend immigration and obtain 30 day extension.

Why are you exiting Thailand and returning

My travel dates are arrive bkk 10Dec and depart 10Mar, thereby 90 days, with 60 day visa in hand. However, I want to leave Thailand briefly for Vietnam after 20 days. 

8 minutes ago, LisuLover said:

My travel dates are arrive bkk 10Dec and depart 10Mar, thereby 90 days, with 60 day visa in hand. However, I want to leave Thailand briefly for Vietnam after 20 days. 

Might make more sense to enter visa exempt first then get visa in Viet Nam?

7 hours ago, LisuLover said:

Your plan would work and yes a reentry permit would "protect" the balance of your 60 day permission of stay from your tourist visa entry to Thailand.

Upon return to Thailand after Vietnam trip you can apply for 30 day extension..

7 hours ago, LisuLover said:

I make that 92 days

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

I make that 92 days

Yep, 92 days as 2024 is a leap year. Not sure why people keep forgetting to count arrival and departure days in count.

Either way LisuLover, if you do 20 days then 12 days in Vietnam you can come back visa exempt + 30 day extension so no need for initial tourist visa (that would still be 2 days short after 30 day extension anyway)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your plan would work and yes a reentry permit would "protect" the balance of your 60 day permission of stay from your tourist visa entry to Thailand.

Upon return to Thailand after Vietnam trip you can apply for 30 day extension..

I have a friend here now in similar situation. How early can one get the 30 day extension on a  TV? Wondering if we can do the 30 day extension and re-entry permit at same time --  It would be about 3 weeks before 60 day permission of stay end. 

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have a friend here now in similar situation. How early can one get the 30 day extension on a  TV? Wondering if we can do the 30 day extension and re-entry permit at same time --  It would be about 3 weeks before 60 day permission of stay end. 

I did my 30 day extension of tourist Visa yesterday with 20 days left (and obviously they need to get extension first before they do re-entry permit)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1

There should be no reason for an Imm Office to deny you a 30-day extension of stay for your 60-day Tourist Visa.  But this is Thailand and some Imm Offices might require that you have less than x days left on your Permission to stay in order to provide it.  

Anyway, in the OP's case (unless he is from a country for which Thailand does not provide 30-day Permission to stay when entering VisaExempt) it would be a waste of time/effort to apply for the 30-day extension when he plans to return from Vietnam with less than 30 days left on his Permission to stay.  Because in that case it would be far easier to just exit Thailand without such Re-Entry Permit, and simply return VisaExempt from Vietnam.

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Might make more sense to enter visa exempt first then get visa in Viet Nam?

Getting a Thai tourist visa in Vietnam is quite a hassle nowadays. You need an appointment, pristine USD bills, all kinds of supporting documents, and of course going to the Thai embassy or consulate twice eats into your Vietnam holiday time as well.

8 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Yep, 92 days as 2024 is a leap year. Not sure why people keep forgetting to count arrival and departure days in count.

Either way LisuLover, if you do 20 days then 12 days in Vietnam you can come back visa exempt + 30 day extension so no need for initial tourist visa (that would still be 2 days short after 30 day extension anyway)

This seems like a good solution. However, Wondering if “check-in“ upon leaving Vietnam will want to see a departure from Thailand within 30 days, as my dep’ date is still not till 10Mar? 

32 minutes ago, LisuLover said:

This seems like a good solution. However, Wondering if “check-in“ upon leaving Vietnam will want to see a departure from Thailand within 30 days, as my dep’ date is still not till 10Mar? 

Certainly from Saigon airline will want to see your onward flight.