Hit-and-Run Tragedy: Two Cyclists Dead, Four Injured in Early Morning Incident

webfact

image.jpeg

In a tragic incident occurring at 5:00 AM on October 6, a mysterious pickup truck struck a group of cyclists, resulting in two deaths and four injuries.

The victims were part of the Nang Rong Mountain Bike Club in Buriram province. The unidentified driver, who fled the scene amidst the pre-dawn darkness, is yet to be apprehended, raising questions about whether the driver was intoxicated or asleep at the wheel, reported Daily News.

The deceased, identified as Narongchai Yalonan, a 68-year-old retired government official, and Pichanont Onpromratch, a 64-year-old local of Nang Rong district, were part of a six-member cycling group exercising on route 24.

Eyewitnesses report a sudden and violent collision, scattering bike parts across the accident scene. The pickup, an Isuzu, left behind its damaged bumper as a silent testament to the horror.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Witness Sommai Sroisomwang narrated the terrifying moment, citing a loud crash followed by the sight of cyclists tumbling onto the roadway.

The pickup swerved and sped away, leaving devastation in its wake. Sommai and the other survivors suffered minor injuries but were haunted by the abrupt and brutal loss of their companions.

The widow of one of the victims calls for justice, lamenting the absence of accountability and the tragic interruption of a routine exercise outing.

The community and authorities are urging the hit-and-run driver to come forward and face the consequences of their devastating actions.

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-10-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 19

Hit-and-run incident in Buriram leaves two cyclists dead: Community demands justice
by Nattapong Westwood

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod.

Two cyclists tragically lost their lives, and others sustained injuries when a speeding pickup truck crashed into a group of cyclists in a hit-and-run incident. The incident, which occurred in the darkness of the early morning, has left the victims’ families and cycling community in shock and demanding justice.

Today at 5am, local police in Buriram province received an alert about the hit-and-run traffic incident involving a group of cyclists. Upon reaching the scene of the accident on Route 24, between Isan Khet and Chaloem Phra Kiat, they discovered a grim scene. Parts of mountain bikes were scattered across the road and two fatalities were confirmed.

The deceased were identified as 68 year old Narongchai Yonanan, a retired government employee from the Department of Livestock Development, and 64 year old Pichanan On Prommarat, both residents of Buriram province.

The intensity of the collision was such that it caused immediate fatalities, with injuries present on their bodies. A piece of an Isuzu pickup truck’s bumper was also found at the scene, indicating the vehicle was involved in the hit-and-run.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, connda said:

When I bike I always have the hair on my neck stand up as cars approach (figuratively).  Trust me - I'm extremely aware of two things:  1) Thais lack driving skills and 2) a bicyclist is no safer than a dog who dares to wander onto the road.

Then - get out and drive at Zero-Dark Thirty on a Thai road?  Most bicyclists who drive in the dark, even if they have their little lights and little flashing blinker, simply are immensely difficult to see. 

:angry: "You're an anti-bike car lovering cyclist-hater.  Arrgghh."

Not at all.  A bicycle was my ONLY transportation in University (I was dirt poor), and I'd routinely put 30 miles a day on the bike, much of that at night on US roads.  Driving on US roads at night was dangerous.  Imho, driving in the dark in Thailand is deadly.  Case in point - right here. 

Because that 2 things, I finished bicycling.

• Like 1

This is same circumstance that killed a group of cyclists in CM some years ago. Riding in the early morning hours when it's still nearly dark and riding in groups. Maybe they were going around a curve while taking up the entire lane and the driver didn't have time to react as they were speeding/drunk/dumb etc...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

When I bike I always have the hair on my neck stand up as cars approach (figuratively).  Trust me - I'm extremely aware of two things:  1) Thais lack driving skills and 2) a bicyclist is no safer than a dog who dares to wander onto the road.

Then - get out and drive at Zero-Dark Thirty on a Thai road?  Most bicyclists who drive in the dark, even if they have their little lights and little flashing blinker, simply are immensely difficult to see. 

:angry: "You're an anti-bike car lovering cyclist-hater.  Arrgghh."

Not at all.  A bicycle was my ONLY transportation in University (I was dirt poor), and I'd routinely put 30 miles a day on the bike, much of that at night on US roads.  Driving on US roads at night was dangerous.  Imho, driving in the dark in Thailand is deadly.  Case in point - right here. 

It's an incalculable risk biking in Thailand, where you have to share the roads with trucks, buses and pickups. In particular in dark, dawn or sunset. 

There is no safety whatsoever. RIP.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

When he’s sober job, he’ll probably turn on something and blame the whole thing a break failure you know they don’t like to take blame for anything right TIT

"...right TIT"

Well, you said it.   

Condemning all Thais as "not responsible enough to accept blame", based on just this and, maybe, a couple of other incidents is irrational, Thai-bashing garbage. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5

what a tragedy, mu heart goes out to the lady in the picture crying, and to the family and friends of the victims.

Just this morning I was telling my wife that as soon as it cools down a bit we should start going riding again, and she shai that she did not want to because she thought it was too dangerous, and that we should buy a stationary bike. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Riding in the early morning hours when it's still nearly dark and riding in groups. Maybe they were going around a curve while taking up the entire lane and the driver didn't have time to react as they were speeding/drunk/dumb etc...

No excuse for a hit-and-run but...

riding in the early morning hours when it's still nearly dark and riding in groups. Maybe they were going around a curve while taking up the entire lane and the driver didn't have time to react as they were going around a curve while taking up the entire lane. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 6

5 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Thai cyclists active at this hour are very aware of the dangers, they have piercing bright LED on the front and from the rear solid and flashing lights, they ride in small packs, most usually single file and it's really difficult not to be confused / intrigued (meaning, be aware and slow down) by the group of moving lights - no excuses for this driver of the Isuzu, he is a murder, lock him up.

I'm not condoning the action of the driver but, for some reason, you're assuming that these elderly bike riders were using lights on their bikes and riding in single file in darkness, something that was not reported.

• Confused 3

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No excuse for a hit-and-run but...

riding in the early morning hours when it's still nearly dark and riding in groups. Maybe they were going around a curve while taking up the entire lane and the driver didn't have time to react as they were going around a curve while taking up the entire lane. 

Yeah I know, what's your point? I'm saying the cyclists very likely made this situation more dangerous than it had to be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2