Pet abandonment tragedy: Shih Tzu dies after two year wait for owners at Bangkok vet clinic

webfact

image.jpeg

The heart-wrenching saga of Dano, a seven year old Shih Tzu, has been shared by a local vet, shedding light on a tale of pet abandonment that unfolded over two agonising years.

Dano’s poignant story began when he was left at a veterinary clinic in Bangkok and tragically ended with his passing, abandoned by owners who had initially appeared caring and attentive.

Dano, a beloved canine companion, was a regular visitor at Vibhavadi Animal Clinic. His owners, a devoted couple, diligently brought him in for routine check-ups, vaccinations, and grooming sessions.

Even when they welcomed a new addition to their family, the vet cautioned them not to neglect Dano, especially given his breed’s susceptibility to dry eyes and skin infections without proper care. The owners, assuring the vet of their deep love for Dano, professed that he was cherished “like a child.”

by Samantha Rose

Photo: Sanook

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 7

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Dano’s poignant story began when he was left at a veterinary clinic in Bangkok and tragically ended with his passing, abandoned by owners who had initially appeared caring and attentive.

They're only cute (na rak) for so long! ????

At the vet I use he has 3 abandoned pets that live in his three story vet office.  Pets who owners brought in for care (serious, expensive care), authorized the care/treatment, but then never came back to pay the bill/retrieve the pet which recovered.  

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Pib said:

Near the end, it was very hard to get our primary vet to euthanise the dog due to the Buddhist belief (ditto for our secondary vet).

It is not just the the Buddhism. The vet that I use told me that it is quite difficult to get the drugs for this procedure and there is a lot of 'hoop jumping' and paperwork.

At least in many areas there are voluntary groups taking in the strays as well as neutering them.

The area where we live is popular for 'dog dumping'. It is very sad. As soon as we see an abandoned male dog, we call in the vets.

Many of the dogs have adopted local owners and the security guards.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

The area where we live is popular for 'dog dumping'. It is very sad. As soon as we see an abandoned male dog, we call in the vets.

What about the abandoned female dogs?

• Like 1

dumping dogs is a Thai pastime ....   oh' he was so cute at the market when we bought him,  now he's big and not so cute let's get rid of him.

1,000,000 abandoned dogs including flea ravaged Soi dogs.    What an uneducated society.

Edited by steven100

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

The vet that I use told me that it is quite difficult to get the drugs for this procedure and there is a lot of 'hoop jumping' and paperwork.

I think the vet was giving you a load of BS, a 'real qualified' vet would have it in stock, not just try to order it in when it is needed, what would be the point in that?  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The owners, assuring the vet of their deep love for Dano, professed that he was cherished “like a child.”

Perhaps the owner had gone through financial difficulties, accident or even some other problems and they were not able to keep him anymore. ????????

Edited by The Theory

I never understand why people come to Thailand and end up taking on a pet if they have no intention of staying long term or they can finance taking the animal back with them when they leave to many times you see a farang has taken on a soy dog only to return it to the street 6 months later and that is one reason why I would not take on homing a dog as they need lots of attention .