Targeted Emergency Alert System to Be Put in Place

snoop1130

I wish the Thai government the best of luck with a new emergency system. Maybe it could inspire the US government. Thailand does not have the second amendment issue that people in the US grapple with endlessly. So perhaps the number of shootings can be kept to a minimum in Thailand.

Edited by jingjai9
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds similar to the UK system that was tested on 23rd April this year.  Technology is based on the Cell Tower, not SMS or an APP, which allows for localized incidents as well as country wide . I hope someone in Thailand remembers to transmit the message in English as well, as with all the other Thai language messages I get, they go straight in the delete bin.

The UK test was expected to target 90% of the UK mobiles, reality was closer to 50% due to technical issues, plus the fact only 88% of the UK at the time was 4/5G capable of reception (rural and dead-spots).  Solution is based on a 4/5G signal and users running the latest Operating System on Apple or Android. If you use WiFi calling, then no message received. Another factor to consider is power for the cell towers, as from recent storms in the UK, localised power outage has effected mass communications. Maybe the old days of a CB-Radio and a 12V car battery could be the way forward (or backwards)!

15 hours ago, off road pat said:

Any alarm would be in several languages for sure !!!

I somehow don't think so. I get rather a lot of SMS messages that I need to put through the translation. It could well be one of those poor translations that cause head scratching!

On 10/6/2023 at 4:55 PM, snoop1130 said:

1696578588_273651-tnamcot.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 6 (TNA) – The Digital Economy and Society Ministry (DES) along with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), has taken immediate action to implement a targeted emergency alert system, utilizing cell broadcast technology.

The DES Minister Prasert Chantararuangthong said the Prime Minister expressed concerns regarding the shooting incident at the Siam Paragon Mall, particularly regarding the effectiveness of targeted emergency alerts in cases of emergencies or disasters.

In response to this, the DES Ministry has taken quick measures to improve the emergency alert system.

Full story: Thai News Agency 2023-10-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Oh sure! The shooter will now easily find and shoot those hiding by just wandering around listening for these phone alerts.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Haha 1