Should one get the vaccine for Dengue fever?

advancebooking

Ive been watching a youtube channel Ricky in Isaan whose wife just died of dengue fever. He now has 2 twin babies to support. Very tragic situation for him. 

He said on the video its worth considering getting vacinated for Dengue. I was unaware of such a jab. 

Dr Google reveals:

''Now in 2023, there are two dengue vaccines currently available in Thailand. The first one, known as Dengvaxia® was licensed in 2017 and the new one called Qdenga® was just available this year (2023).Now in 2023, there are two dengue vaccines currently available in Thailand. The first one, known as Dengvaxia® was licensed in 2017 and the new one called Qdenga® was just available this year (2023).'

Is this available for anyone? Do all hospitals carry them? Or only private hospitals. 

thanks

Be careful with Dengvaxia, it was found out that if one didn't have previous Dengue fever infection, the Dengvaxia is making the infection even worse.

"However, during the third year of follow up the risk for hospitalized VCD was increased in the vaccine group for dengue naïve younger children compared to the placebo group. The vaccine is now limited to individuals with previous dengue fever, and it is not available in non-endemic countries."

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1477893923000583

There was a huge scandal on Philippines where they started mass vaccinating with the vaccine and it made the children have even more serious infection. It was all over the news.

Qdenga sounds like potentially better vaccine, but since it is very new vaccine released just this year and not many people were vaccinated yet, one should be careful as well.

I would be curious what are the prices for those vaccines in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

"Vaccine recipients presumed to be seropositive at immunisation had sustained protection during 5 years' follow-up. However, among recipients seronegative before immunisation—and regardless of age at vaccination—there was a higher risk of severe dengue disease and hospital admission compared with unvaccinated controls. Thus, in seronegative individuals, the vaccine seems to enhance the severity of subsequent dengue infection."

Deciphered: 
If you have had Dengue before, the vaccine may have positive results.
If you have not had Dengue before, you may find yourself with at "a higher risk of severe dengue disease and hospital admission compared with unvaccinated controls."

I've read something about this before and I believe it has to do with the vaccine actually creating the conditions for antibody-dependent enhancement.  It's antibody-dependent enhancement the creates the problems for individuals who have contracted dengue once, and then are reinfected with a different dengue serotypes (there are four).

So basically if you have not had dengue, the vaccination creates the conditions similar to contracting dengue and then getting reinfected.  Not good.

Read the research.
Source:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(18)30023-9/fulltext

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Deciphered: 
If you have not had Dengue before, you may find yourself with at "a higher risk of severe dengue disease and hospital admission compared with unvaccinated controls."

That applies only to Dengvaxia vaccine. It doesn't apply to Qdenga.

hi

interesting enough before reading this post i have 2 people having the same issue around me.

1 is a little kid. having fever and vomit. Nothing serious tho. stayed at hospital for 2 days typical thai docs.. gave her bunch of medicines and 12K bill.. she has nothing at all now

2 teenager. family thought he got a cold. stayed at home 2 3 days went to hospital. family told hospital its ok he will be fine.. 5th day he has nothing.

about the vaccine.. i dont see why not. 

3 hours ago, connda said:

"Vaccine recipients presumed to be seropositive at immunisation had sustained protection during 5 years' follow-up. However, among recipients seronegative before immunisation—and regardless of age at vaccination—there was a higher risk of severe dengue disease and hospital admission compared with unvaccinated controls. Thus, in seronegative individuals, the vaccine seems to enhance the severity of subsequent dengue infection."

Deciphered: 

I've read something about this before and I believe it has to do with the vaccine actually creating the conditions for antibody-dependent enhancement.  It's antibody-dependent enhancement the creates the problems for individuals who have contracted dengue once, and then are reinfected with a different dengue serotypes (there are four).

So basically if you have not had dengue, the vaccination creates the conditions similar to contracting dengue and then getting reinfected.  Not good.

Read the research.
Source:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(18)30023-9/fulltext

This is about Dengvaxia

4 hours ago, Alldar said:

Be careful with Dengvaxia, it was found out that if one didn't have previous Dengue fever infection, the Dengvaxia is making the infection even worse.

There was a huge scandal on Philippines where they started mass vaccinating with the vaccine and it made the children have even more serious infection. It was all over the news.

Qdenga sounds like potentially better vaccine, but since it is very new vaccine released just this year and not many people were vaccinated yet, one should be careful as well.

I would be curious what are the prices for those vaccines in Thailand.

Additionally,  Qdenga has not been tested with older people - the typical AN membership. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Alldar said:

would be curious what are the prices for those vaccines in Thailand.

1639 B at Thai Travel Clinic. You weint get it cheaper than this. 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

for local residents (Thais) who have had dengue previously.

Dengue doesn't have racial preferences afaik, so an expat who lives here permanently would also fall into this category. 

But not so many AN members are under 60 years old AND have had Dengue already. 

14 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Scary stuff either direction....getting it once, twice etc or these pretty worrisome vaccines also.

Worst thing I ever caught in my life....got a good view of being 100 from under the age of 45...I felt literally 100 years old !!

Covid was a cakewalk vs Dengue.

I have to agree with you on the Dengue vs Covid comparison, having had both of them and the Dengue was far worse by a huge margin, and I was bedridden for about two weeks, with an awful headache and terribly aching back, and even after it eased off a bit, I was still a little fragile for some time afterwards.